Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Music Creation Software for a PC

Options
  • 24-08-2001 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

What do you recommend for the creation of electronic music ? I've seen all the various packages out there but what I want is a powerful yet easy to use package.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The most up-to-date and also best on the market is E-Jay. It's relatively easy to use, has a great potential and doesn't cost that much. It also has a variety of packages to suit your music style. For more info on this go to E-Jay

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

for dance-y stuff Rebirth is miles ahead of anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

e-jay is definitley the best way to go and there all over the place made some very good tunes with that one.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Thanks ppl. !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ejay's great for 'quick and dirty'.
    Go for Cakewalk pro, or Sonar for something professional (And a b1tch to learn).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

e-jay (sorry to hammer it home !!)

but it'll make you ask the question.....
    How does Fatboy Slim still sell records w/ this software so widely available ??

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

cakewalk for sure.
    Ejay, if you like the "heres the one i made earlier" approach.
    Cakewalk can create any sound possible but Ejay just has samples that you can mess with.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

E-Jay and Rebirth are basically "toys" for arsing around with.

If you really wanted to do electronic stuff on your PC I'd recommend

a) A good sequencing package like Cubase VST

b) Soundforge 4.5 or Cooledit Pro to edit wav files with, you can also get a lot of VST plugins for Soundforge to put loads of crazy effects on samples

c) For actual noise generation the best programme I've seen is "Reaktor", made by Native Instruments. Version 3 has just been released for the PC, costs around 300 quid though. Richard Devine on Warp Records does practically all his stuff in Reaktor.

Also a lot of people like using a program called "Reason" to produce noise and also as a software sampler. I don't like it myself, seems a bit like a toy.

If you're just a beginner then I'd recommend Fruity Loops for just sticking wav files in, putting effects on them and sequencing them. Also a program called Acid does the same thing.

Stay away from that E-jay crap though.

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i believe all of these programmes are in demo form, so download them and see for yourself.
    smile.gif

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Moog

Go to www.hitsquad.com - they've got just about every music program you could wish for, either in demo, shareware or freeware format. Try experimenting with a few and find out what you like, because if there's one thing for sure about making computer music, it's that no two people like to do it the same way. Part of the fun is seeing what you can get out of a program, even if it is just a toy. A good workman never blames his (pro) tools smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Nice one, I'll download some demos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

actually blam i wouldn't be so dismissive of reason. what ive been doing is playing around with it for as you say noise generation [dont have reaktor] and making wee loops on it. the soft synth on it is actually surprisingly good, ok the effects could be better but thats why we have soundforge and cakewalk vst effect. sure ron's mobile disco [witnness, that party last saturday] is just two copies of reason and a blike with a beard.
    e-jay sucks tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Im confused confused.gif

Exactly what is noise generation, and why would someone pay £300 for it?

I have Cool Edit Pro, which has a noise generator (white, brown and pink apparently) but I have no idea how this relates to the creation of music.

Anyway...like Blam said, E-jay is nothing more than a toy. I use Cooledit for wav. editing and Octamed for sequencing. Not a bad combo smile.gif

"Ca bhfuil an buama?!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

When I talk about "noise generation" I'm not really talking about stuff like white/brown/whatever static type noise, I'm talking about music programs that can produce new sounds by mixing together oscillators, filters, effects and things to build up your own original software synths.

That's what Reaktor does, and it does a lot more too. Technically Rebirth does it too, it generates sound, rather than just playing samples you have saved on your PC, which is what Fruity Loops does.

As for Reason, I was actually at that party on Saturday night (the one on the beach, right?) and saw Ron with his two laptops with Reason. Some guy actually said to me "Hey he's using a program called reason!!" and I tried to explain that I knew but I started falling down the little slope onto some other drunk dude.

Maybe I should play with it more, but I've already got a Roland JP-8000 for making bass/pad/string sounds. Right now I'm actually into making weirder stuff though, and mixing it in with messed up hip-hop-ish beats. Kind of like Prefuse 73 (on Warp Records) or that Grammy Winners track by Funkstorung.

-Son of Blam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i do remember meeting you.. but that was just before that german bloke with the acid in his eyes gave me five hits of ghb washed down with a mouthful of buckfast.

mc tyranny: yuck! what'll that do?
    german bloke: you have taken ecstasy yes?
    mc tyranny: uh huh....
    german bloke: good. [walks off]
    mc tyranny: whoooooooooaaah

i spent the next x hours in a space outside time, and certainly outside conventional notions of good manners. several people have declined to reply to my emails since then...
    oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I'll never forgive you for that night Tyr.

.logic.

Advertisement