Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best singer EVER!?

Options
  • 24-08-2001 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

In your honest opinion... who do you think is the best singer in the world ever! Don't just say the singer in your favourite band. I'm not talking about lyricist either. Just the person who you thinks has the best voice.

It doesn't matter if you hate the band/singer, just really think and say it, and don't just pick a tenor or something, I'm talkin contemporary music, rock, soul, metal, pop, whatever...be honest! smile.gif

I think it has to be Elvis...there is no other voice/vocalist can do this range, not even Tom Jones. Someone argued with me once that your man from the sterophonics has a better voice than Elvis did!! Now that's just taking the píss. This isn't a top ten, and it's not an invitation to rip the píss out of someone else's opinion...

Fink

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Ah deadly another one of these threads. I better start a who is the worst singer and what singers do you think are crap thread too.

How far is this going to go?

How about?

Which bands have the best roadies?

Which bands have the nicest tour bus.

What singer has the nicest hair?

Which band use the best plectrums.

Would sombody please put an end to these threads.

[This message has been edited by The FANJ (edited 24-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Hold on a second.....ehhh....did I not say I didn't intend this as a top ten or as an argument thread (not to rip the **** out of other peoples opinions)??? Yes...I think so.
    I've never seen this thread here before, so don't get sarcy with me.

I'm honestly interested in this topic. If you're not, then don't reply It's a musical topic, on the music boards....fascinating eh....who'd have thought? It would amuse me highly if someone say James Hetfield or Axl Rose... but that's their opinion and I aint gonna argue. The idea is to see what people think...if I wasn't interested I wouldn't have posted it. Right? So don't be a git about a post....just don't reply if u don't want to.... snak

Sorry Dr. Loon it's not a direct go at you. I'm just really fed up seeing threads like this. If you showed me alist of all the people who responded and gave me three guesses at each I bet I could guess which singer they would pick. It's the same bands over and over again.

These threads just start wars that go like this

Mr A: I think Joey Joe Joe Joeson of Joeys gang is the best singer ever

Mr B: No way J J J sucks and so does Joeys gang Joe Bloggs on Meatheads is ten time better

Mr A yeah right you muppet all Joe Bloggs does is scream.

Mr B No way if you've ever heard Never heard this song before by Meatheads you would not say that.

Mr C Your both wrong Mumbly joe of stutter is way better thanboth of them.

This is all they lead to.

I know its true that this happens alot in these threads, that's why I tried to emphasize the fact not to pick your own favourite band but to really think hard about all the singers you've ever heard and try to pick the best in a realistic view. Not just because Metallica rocks or some shít like that, but because it's a genuine thought that that particular voice is the best you've heard. I also specified, that I didn't start the thread to create rumbles, so in other words, think before you post, and don't rip peoples opinions apart.

I think at this stage everyone has seen hundreds of top ten threads, and that's why I said this isn't a top ten, but a genuine discussion on who is the best singer in the world. I don't give an arsé if nobody wants to reply because it could escalate into a "no, this singer is better than this because....." and blah, blah, blah... I've stated my opinion and nobody seems to contest it. It's debate, and that's the idea of a forum, is to debate and discuss...that's what I started. I know you're not diggin at me, so no worries.

If there's any half arsed replies arguments... I'm not gonna bother replying myself. Anyone who argues over another's opinion is just a twat. Sorry, if it was a crap topic!

Fink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shimoda

I've read all that is above, and agree that it just leads to silly one-upmanship etc.

My personal vote would go for Jeff buckley,
    just because of his vocal range, power, and his abililty to convey emotion.

Shimoda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

I'd go with Bobby McFerrin, amazing acapella singer. Just listen to "Thinkin' About Your Body" and you'll hear why. Or take the better known "Don't Worry Be Happy" You'd barely notice the fact that theres no instruments in the song, he just replaces them with his voice. His range is truly amazing and the control he has over his voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shimoda:

My personal vote would go for Jeff buckley,
    just because of his vocal range, power, and his abililty to convey emotion.

Shimoda
    </font>

Same...

Who is The Beefy King ?

Owing to an administrative error, the Pope had been replaced by Lemmy from Moterhead...

Dr loon I think I better thread would be.

What qualities are required to be a good rock singer.

Then it's not about naming names but about naming good atributes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CriminallyInsane

I think that Eric Clapton is a realy good singer. I think it's the emotion in his songs.

How Do You Prove You Exist? What If We Don't Exist? - Vivi Ornitier, Final Fantasy IX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Cat Stevens voice is great but Sinead Connors version of nothing compares has real emotion in it,but cat has to take it.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

And so it begins....waits for the topic count to explode..
    Topics like this shoud come with the warning "the person posting this topic wants attention"..

btw Sade is my nomination hehee

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The FANJ:

Which band use the best plectrums.
    </font>

I actualy have an official CoF plec...
    Damn class thing it is too!
    The problem, plecs last a couple of weeks, then they get worn down and useless from all that damn tremelo picking...

So, I don't use it, I keep it as a classy little souvenier! biggrin.gif

Oh, and while I am at it...
    These threads can be fun at times, so...

Maynard James Keenan is a great singer.
    Till Lindermann, and a ****load of other singers are cool...
    I'm not going to bother getting into it now though.
    Just give up a couple of names and let people blather on about whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">CoF</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">classy</font>

What?

Anyway, on topic again:

Me Da.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Why the hell do people post these threads? i'm sick of them.. What's the best opening line.. What's the best band ever..

The people who post these threads obviously don't want to find out about other people's opinions, just to have their own name beside a "hot topic" picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Sorry, i just read down, and saw the FANJ's reply there.. he said what i meant to say, but better wink.gif

For the record, i'd also have to second that opinion of both shimoda and plastic membrane.

and PiE, for that matter wink.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PiE:
    What?
    </font>

I said class, not classy...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

relax... all

im new here but not to msgbrds in general.

these type of threads seem to always suck but i rarely believe that it is the orig posters fault. if i have an interest in something then im gonna asq. im not gonna looking for the guy with the high post count and asq his/her permission. nor would i asq if the thread has been posted before.

this is why we have moderators...

if you guys feel sooo strongley about this then asq the boards.ie heads to forbid the 'who is the best...' threads. dont presume to moderate cause it just make you look bad.

this is not me trying to flame. to the haters(those who hate this type of thread) fair enough, you dont like it, SAY SO! but there is no need to get sarcy and embarass the poster. he may have had ill or the best intentions with that post. on the chance that it was the latter, i think he at least deserves politness and not insults.

to those who post these mind-numbing, spirit-crushing, post-magnet threads... find a chatroom. this kind of thing only causes flame and bad blood. no need for it in here. this place is frendly (or so it seems) best to keep it that way.

j

"Why not put the match in a shark tank, with real live sharks, hungry sharks, and the only way to beat your
    opponent is to stuff them down a shark's throat and pin a shark".
    -Kurt Angle to Lilian Garcia

Fair enough jaarius...if it's a bad topic, sorry. Soeone lock it or somethin' I wasn't intending to argue with stupid gits. You don't like a topic, don't reply. Simple as that, but don't rip the p1ss outta me over it. I was genuine in the question. So don't reply to me ssaying I'm looking for attention... I'm not a sad person who wants a little dancing flame, 'cos then I'd be cool. So if you don't have something to say about the topic, shut your trap. I don't mind if someone locks this thread now...so if u wanna go for it. I couldn't be arséd arguing with slow people!

Fink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

OK, before it this thread is locked can I just say.... Joni Mitchell. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I was only joking buuuut...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AngelWhore:
    So, I don't use it, I keep it as a ****classy**** little souvenier! biggrin.gif
    </font>

Retract claws?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If there can be only one... it'll be... Art Garfunkel

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

I aint lookin for attention you thick ****s (just the people who are rippin the p1ss outta me) so go and fúck yourself. You don't know **** about me, and I'm certainly not the type of person just looking for attention or wanting some fúckin flame beside my post. Like I said if you're gonna take the p1ss then don't reply you fúckin twats. So...Lognfield and kopf why don't u shut you're fúckin mouth!? At the very start of the topic I said, it's not for rippin someones opinion apart.... its a genuine interest you shítheads....and so far I'm very interested in the replies...especially Jeff Buckley (a good choice) so shut your mouths unless you're gonna be on topic. Right!? Cúnts

Fink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the lead singer from the offspring</font>

i believe the name your looking for their is Dexter Holland, or Bryan Holland as his mother called him wink.gif excellent choice btw smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ol Blue eyes, Frank Sinatra.
    His timing was second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    dont you mean had?
    didnt he commit suicide?
    bit of irony there....
    </font>

Nah, vicious rumour. I suppose it would have been pretty funny if he did! He's still singin away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fuse:
    I'd go with Bobby McFerrin, amazing acapella singer. Just listen to "Thinkin' About Your Body" and you'll hear why. Or take the better known "Don't Worry Be Happy" You'd barely notice the fact that theres no instruments in the song, he just replaces them with his voice. His range is truly amazing and the control he has over his voice.</font>

dont you mean had?
    didnt he commit suicide?
    bit of irony there....

anyway, id go for nina simone, debbie harry, dean martin, james hetfield, mike muir, the lead singer from the offspring, frank sinatra, all of the three tenors, and alad jones when he was young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

*bumps up topic by saying* "Brian Wilson"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PiE:
    I was only joking buuuut...

Retract claws?

</font>

Um...
    Ok, I took it out of context...

my mistake.

I like pie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Megumi Hayashibara

(honestly)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Philip Anselmo without a doubt.

PanterA - Strength Beyond Strength
    There is nothing. No education. No family life to open my
    Arms to. You'd say that my job is today, yet gone tomorrow.
    I'll be broke in a gutter.
    I know the opinion. A broken record. Fu(k you and your
    College dream. Fact is, we're stronger than all.

Advertisement