Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best singer EVER!?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Alot of interesting replies there... makes me wonder going back to the little argument at the start of the thread... the fanj was talking aboutht the qualities of a good singer.

Now I'm not ripping anyones opinion or anything, but what qualities has Phil Anselmo got....? He's a great metal singer alright, but in all of Pantera's stuf he has never used much range...it's always the same voice. There is some good competition there for Elvis though... Frank Sinatra was close, but I think even Sinatra admitted Elvis was better than him...anywa, I thought it was a good post..some good replies there....

Fink

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. Loon:
    Alot of interesting replies there... makes me wonder going back to the little argument at the start of the thread... the fanj was talking aboutht the qualities of a good singer.

Now I'm not ripping anyones opinion or anything, but what qualities has Phil Anselmo got....? He's a great metal singer alright, but in all of Pantera's stuf he has never used much range...it's always the same voice. There is some good competition there for Elvis though... Frank Sinatra was close, but I think even Sinatra admitted Elvis was better than him...anywa, I thought it was a good post..some good replies there....

</font>

You gotta be kidding...
    try listening to these Pantera songs will you. And get your facts straight before you speak in future.

Walk, Planet Caravan, Shattered, Cemetary Gates, Goddamn Electric, Strength Beyond Strength, Suicide Note Pt. I, Suicide Note Pt. II, The Great Southern Trendkill.

PanterA - Strength Beyond Strength
    There is nothing. No education. No family life to open my
    Arms to. You'd say that my job is today, yet gone tomorrow.
    I'll be broke in a gutter.
    I know the opinion. A broken record. Fu(k you and your
    College dream. Fact is, we're stronger than all.

Sorry mate... my facts are straight. Like I said, I'm not ripping up anyones opinion here, just stating my own. Go back to the start of the thread and you'll see that's what I'm trying to avoid. Agressive heads like yourself. I have listened to their songs, used to think they were great... but studying qualities in a good singer, one of which I think is vocal range... I must say although Phil Anselmo is a great metal singer, he doesn't have much range.

I think a good singer, much like any good musician should be capable of all styles. If you were a session/studio player/singer and all you could sing was heavy, raspy, scratchy vocals, you wouldn't get many gigs, and you wouldn't get very far! Same as if I played drums as a session player, and I could only pull off rock grooves I'd be pretty scrood if I had to do a jazz number wouldn't I. Now I know Phil Anselmo only had to sing rock and therefore it is possible he does have range. What I'm saying though, is that in what he's done he has never shown a different range than what he works with already. So again, I'm sorry mate, my facts are straight. smile.gif

Fink

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yea sorry... I guess I did act a bit hastely there. But I still think your wrong even though its only your opinion.

PanterA - Strength Beyond Strength
    There is nothing. No education. No family life to open my
    Arms to. You'd say that my job is today, yet gone tomorrow.
    I'll be broke in a gutter.
    I know the opinion. A broken record. Fu(k you and your
    College dream. Fact is, we're stronger than all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kohnaar

it has often been said, and i'm going to say it again:

Jeff Buckley.

Just listen to his signing on Grace. It can seem flashy in places but it isnt, more virtuoso and breathtaking.

I listened to it yesterday for firsat time in a year and it blew me away ... like the first time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by kohnaar
    it has often been said, and i'm going to say it again:

Jeff Buckley.

Just listen to his signing on Grace. It can seem flashy in places but it isnt, more virtuoso and breathtaking.

I listened to it yesterday for firsat time in a year and it blew me away ... like the first time!

This is so true, I think he had an amazing voice, such a shame to die so young :(

Well he would be in my top few list below.... I have put songs in brackets that I highly recommend to get to know these people.

Dolore's O'Riordan (The Cranberries - Ridiculous Thoughts)
    Jeff Buckley (Grace - Grace/So Real/Eternal Life)
    Skin (Skunk Anansie - Charity/Selling Jesus/100 ways tbagg)
    Harriet Wheeler (The Sundays - When I'm thinking about you)

My 2p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Thom Yorke
    Jeff Buckley
    Robert Plant

and an odd choice:
    Serj Tankian (of Sytem of a Down, can do amazing things with his voice)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'm very annoyed with you Dr.loon

of course the best singer is Axl rose

lets just put some examples on the table

Not because he sounds like a rat (thats kelly jones job) or that
    he "RAWKS"

But the best thing about Axl is the depth he puts into the songs
    the sound effects (rising screech in welcome to the jungle)
    The 3 octave harmonys eg: "Locomotive"
    the cool anecdotes and quotes
    his lyrics
    just listen to what he is doing with his "Unique" voice in the songs
    try locomotive, patience, garden of eden, and dont damn me.
    But the singing in oh my god SUCKS ASS

Originally posted by Giblet
    I'm very annoyed with you Dr.loon

of course the best singer is Axl rose

lets just put some examples on the table

Not because he sounds like a rat (thats kelly jones job) or that
    he "RAWKS"

But the best thing about Axl is the depth he puts into the songs
    the sound effects (rising screech in welcome to the jungle)
    The 3 octave harmonys eg: "Locomotive"
    the cool anecdotes and quotes
    his lyrics
    just listen to what he is doing with his "Unique" voice in the songs
    try locomotive, patience, garden of eden, and dont damn me.
    But the singing in oh my god SUCKS ASS

Well yeah...he's up there as competition, still I think Elvis is the best singer ever! Now on the front man side of things, I'd say Axl Rose is easily one of the best, if not the best.... a true entertainer.

Kelly Jones on the other hand is useless, again... no range. Axl Rose had (has?) a great range.... good point! :)

Thanx
    he's is definatly a good entertainer he'd have to be really fit to keep doing that

• Advertisement

I was looking up Guns n Roses there a few weeks ago and apparently Axl isn't doing the may west.... he's supposed to be losing his hair or something. Messed himself up majorly on drugs and crap anyway... a real true rock n roll man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ManWithName

I'd have to say I think the best singer ever is Etta James. She is the lady who did that "All I wanna do is make love to you" song that appeared on a Diet Coke ad. She has an amazingly powerful voice, and can put lots of emotion into it. Check her stuff out if you like soul music ( as in, old fashioned 60s type soul). I'm very annoyed 'cos I've got tickets to see her in 3 days time in LA, but can't go now :(

Other great singers I would mention are Marvin Gaye and Mike Patton ( from Faith No More ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, here's a few choice picks from me...

Aaron from My Dying Bride has one of the most emotional vocal's there is, and can also do some very snarly parts.

Till Linderman from Rammstein has a fantastic and very powerful voice, he can really convey emotion.

Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth also has a fantastic range, taking his vocals from some of the most calm and resonant styles across to some truly nasty Death Metal growling.

Pete Steel from Type O Negative has a great and really deep vocal, and he really does a lot of different stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Maynard James Keenan: Tool & APC, there's not a note that guy cant hit.

John Lennon?

Sinead O Connor has a great voice, despite the fact that her politics 'aint quite right'

Louis Armstrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Thom Yorke - Radiohead.

thom is pretty good to
    the singing harmony part is good on Let Down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Dead - Freddy Mercury + Jeff Buckley
    Alive - Maynard James Keenan + Thom York Devin Townsend(Strapping Young Lad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Bon Scott was/is a the best

end

Advertisement