Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ron Atkinson Documentary on Racism on BBC1

• 14-12-2004 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Did anybody else see the documentary on the BBC last night about Big Ron and his infamous racist remark?

Quite a good show, although Ron didn't do himself any favours tbh. He just came across as somebody that wasn't necessarily sorry for what he said, rather somebody who was sorry that he got caught.

He seemed more concerned trying to get people to vindicate what he said wasn't that bad rather then just accept what he said was inappropriate for somebody in his position.

Also, old Big Ron got into trouble before due to a racist remark he made about a Cameroon player. He commented that one of the Cameroon players didn't have a brain to which Brian Moore quickly replied, "A football brain Ron, you mean a football brain?" "Yes, of course, a football brain Brian!"
    And at half time when Ron wasn't aware that his mike was still on and the sound was still being broadcasred to some regions he was heard to to say, "Do you think we got away with that Brian?" , "I think so!" , "Well Brian, the only way we'll get in trouble for that is if the guy's mother was at home sitting up in a tree watching it!!"

Frank Skinner made a very good point regarding the matter. He said that many other people involved with football had done some very bad things,. Stan Collymore, Gazza, Paul Merson to name a view. These people were intially condemned for their actions and righlty so, however, they have all found work again. But he made the point, which is worse, Beating up your wife/girlfriend or calling someone the "N" word?

B.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Thought it was a very good program in parts but I'm really not sure it achieved much except give plenty of opportunities to cringe at Ron Atkinson. The nature of the topic is such that the more you talk about it, the more inevitably you're going to dig a bigger hole for yourself.

At the end I felt sorry for him but I'm pretty sure he doesn't see all that much wrong with what he said. Quite interesting the way it went into different groups usage of the word. Black rappers being able to use a different pronuniation, say "my nigga" and have it accepted as a term of endearment - and a white commentator using it automatically leads one to presume it carries the full venom of decades / centuries of racism. This was one of the things Ron found particularly hard to understand and it's certainly a reasonable point.

They also showed a bit of the background of where Ron grew up in the 50's and how there was pretty much no "people of ethnicity" as Ron put it. Whatever way you look at it it's dangerous language for someone to be using but in Ron's case I feel it's use is borne out of ignorance as opposed to either endearment or hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

p.pete wrote:
    but in Ron's case I feel it's use is borne out of ignorance as opposed to either endearment or hatred.

Yeah that's definitely the impression I got.

I just remembered. Did you see the bit about the match that Big Ron organised between a team of Black players and a team of White players?
    It's so strange looking back at stuff like that. A sign of the times I suppose.

Also, John Motson commentating on a match where he said "that was a great pass from the coloured playing to the other coloured player to set up the goal" is another example of how times have changed.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"Well Brian, the only way we'll get in trouble for that is if the guy's mother was at home sitting up in a tree watching it!!"

Holy ****ing ****!

If that is not a racist comment, I do not know what is! JESUS Christ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I thought it did more harm to Ron than good. I have less time for him after the show. He showed no real remorse for what he did. His 'apology' sounded like it was something he thought he was supposed to say rather than something he actually meant. He was also trying to defend his actions a lot, I felt. I for one hope I don't see his mug on analysing matches again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

smiaras wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Alf Garnet was a parody. Till Death Do Us Part was written by a guy called Johnny Speight who was targeting bigotry he and Warren Mitchell did such a good job many thought, like you he was the real thing!

http://www.tonyhancock.org.uk/ham6art4.html

I did'nt see the prog last night but I suspect Ron is mainly a man who is confused that ppl have taken offence at something which in his youth would'nt have raised an eyebrow. Remember "n-igger brown" was a standard colour definition once.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Shamrok wrote:
    I thought it did more harm to Ron than good. I have less time for him after the show. He showed no real remorse for what he did. His 'apology' sounded like it was something he thought he was supposed to say rather than something he actually meant. He was also trying to defend his actions a lot, I felt. I for one hope I don't see his mug on analysing matches again.

Shamrok, agree 100% with you, you've saved me a lotta typing mate. :)
    To add : We don't have to listen to "The keepers got a rick in him" anymore, I mean WHAT ????? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

"Well Brian, the only way we'll get in trouble for that is if the guy's mother was at home sitting up in a tree watching it!!"

He said that back in 1990 and was lucky to get away with it. I dont think Ron has changed a bit, its just that he was caught this time. Its just that society has moved on and Ron hasnt. Personally I dont want ron back on the telly, he is an excellent commentator but he doesnt think he did anything wrong, and there is lots more commentators out there.

Advertisement