Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bullbars on vans? void insurance?

Options
  • 14-12-2004 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Guys n Girls........

A question for you regarding bullbars on vans

My missus just crashed her car on friday and its basicly a write off, she lucky to alive apart from anything.......the thing is it was completely her fault as she didnt stop quick enough @ a T-Junction and ended up sliding over the white line into the path of an oncoming Hiace

Long and short of it was the hiace had a bullbar which wrote off her car leaving very little damage to the van.....

The van is a '95(old model) and was fairly rough looking....We were going to settle with out going through the insurance, but the guy is looking for €4500-5000 for his van.................SURELY this sounds like he's trying to screw us.....

So we're going to put it through the insurance, but will the fact that he had a bullbar on his van .......the wrap around bullbar...........could this void his insurance????

I did a quick check on buy and sell and 95 hiace vans are going for between

€1000 and €3000

Any thoughts?

Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

two thoughts. One he is trying to screw you. Secondly this be better in motors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Yep, i'd be inclined to agree.
    To motors with you!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. Glad she is alright!
    2. The bull bars possibly did more damage to her car than if they weren't there. As these alter the structure and insurance risk of the vehicle they need to be declared to the insurance company. No declaring so can render the policy invalid - this is at the discretion of his company.
    3. An insurance assessor will only offer the omsp for the vehicle at most. The prices in the buy and sell reflect these.
    4. He seems like a chancer - will a whiplash claim follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Jasus....I hope not...but'll I suppose we'll have to wait and see!

thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Does it matter if his insurance is void or not ? Your wife was at fault and her insurance company is the only one that should be involved I reckon.

• Advertisement

if he had an illegal or unapproved modification to his vehichle which caused excessive damage - does it alter the blame womewhat? I'd argue yes. Her car is written of because of the bull bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jip wrote:
    Does it matter if his insurance is void or not ? Your wife was at fault and her insurance company is the only one that should be involved I reckon.
    Afaik, driving uninsured alters the status of any accidents. It immediately causes you to be at fault, or removes your right to claim for your losses.

Afaik.

Thanks Uberwolf thats the point I was getting at.....Ok she was in the wrong and "Admitted" it.... but c'mon €anyone who chances there arm for €5000 for a battered hiace deserves to be brought down a peg or two.....and this was the only way i could see about doing it.

Anyway its with the insurance company's now for them to sort.....main thing is no one was hurt!!!

The law is screwed up if you ask me...

MR DAZ wrote:

Anyway its with the insurance company's now for them to sort.....main thing is no one was hurt!!!

insurance companies will take the path of least resistance - pay out and up the premium. Just simpler and less risky for them. Don't count on them to dig or fight your corner

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Mr Daz, did you mention on the phone that he/she had bullbars on their classy hiace and does this void their warranty ??

also let us know how it goes , just curious , no i don't drive a hiace :)

glad no one was hurt , you can always replace a car.

• Advertisement

I spoke to the insurance asseser and he said that it was a "GREY" area......and if the guy didnt put personal claim that we'd being doing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote:
    Afaik, driving uninsured alters the status of any accidents. It immediately causes you to be at fault, or removes your right to claim for your losses

That's interesting. Can anybody back this up? It would be good for all of us to have a definite answer on that one

In theory he was insured. He broke the rules of his policy (presumably) by having the undeclared (presumably) bullbars and for this his company could declare his policy null and void. However, I actually believe that this won't happen in this case as I have never heard of it happen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

OT, but I'm wondering what's the story with ****ing assholes fitting bullbars to their jeep and vans. Disgraceful practice IMO. The bars fitted to vans are often heavier and cruder than the more cosmetic chrome or plastic things fitted to a lot of jeeps. The original poster's missues is very lucky to be alive as even a low speed (~25 mph or less) side impact with a van can be devastating. Vans are aggressive enough in side impacts even without bullbars but if bullbars are fitted it makes matters even worse. Not to mention the damage bullbars do to cyclists and pedestrians. It's absolutely ridiculous how car makers are having to design vehicles to meet new EU pedestrian safety requirements but once someone buys the car they can retro fit bullbars afterwards making a mockery of the new regulations. There's no need whatsoever for bullbars their only puspose is so that the assholes who fit them don't damage *their* vehicles when they slam into somone's car in a car park and take off.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

There's no need whatsoever for bullbars their only puspose is so that the assholes who fit them don't damage *their* vehicles when they slam into somone's car in a car park and take off

Errrrr,,,, the [abuse edited] drove into him.
    He has the bar fitted to protect his van from arse-holes speeding and failing to stop at T junctions. And the bar did just that. "Protected him).

Even if he didnt have a bullbar ther`d have been a lot of damage. The bull bar didnt write it off.

They should just offer the lad with the van 3500E and stay away from insurance companies and court.
    There is no wat his insurance will be deemed void. Thats a very very longshot.

Rander00.....I was looking for some advice as this is what boards etc is about.....SO KEEP YOUR CHEAP COMMENTS TO YOURSELF...

If you have nothing sensible to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

regardless of the rights and wrongs of this particular case, there is no valid reason for having bullbars on a road vehicle - I thought the EU were outlawing them

AFAIK the car manufacturers are not allowed to sell cars with bullbars on them - why is it not therefore illegal to retrofit them?

Errrrr,,,, the silly bitch drove into him.
    He has the bar fitted to protect his van from arse-holes speeding and failing to stop at T junctions. And the bar did just that. "Protected him).
    And what happens when he drives into someone with his bullbar and it's his fault. Tell you what - i'm going to fit my car with 6 big spikes in front. That way if someone in a bullbarred hiace hits me I'll be able to skewer him and his vehicle and protect myself and I won't give a **** because he shouldn't have hit me in the first place :rolleyes:

Bullbars are completely unnecessary and do no-one any good. Not only do they cause more damage to other road users, they can also cause more damage to the vehicle they're fitted to. Because they can negate the effectiveness of crumple zones and can transmit loads through the chassis/floorpan which would otherwise have been absorbed by the bumper.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

loyatemu wrote:
    AFAIK the car manufacturers are not allowed to sell cars with bullbars on them - why is it not therefore illegal to retrofit them?

Agree. That doesn't make sense
    BrianD3 wrote:
    Bullbars are completely unnecessary and do no-one any good. Not only do they cause more damage to other road users, they can also cause more damage to the vehicle they're fitted to. Because they can negate the effectiveness of crumple zones and can transmit loads through the chassis/floorpan which would otherwise have been absorbed by the bumper.

Good explanation there BrianD3. It is not just the bar itself that is a danger. Bullbars should not be allowed on vehicles that use public roads
    rander00 wrote:
    Errrrr,,,, the silly bitch drove into him

Very helpful that. Are you looking for another ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

uberwolf wrote:
    if he had an illegal or unapproved modification to his vehichle which caused excessive damage - does it alter the blame womewhat? I'd argue yes. Her car is written of because of the bull bar.

Not meaning to sound smart, but her car was written off because she drove it out in front of a hi-ace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

unkel wrote:
    Very helpful that. Are you looking for another ban?

Indeed, rander00 cool your jets and refrain from personal abuse.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

loyatemu wrote:
    regardless of the rights and wrongs of this particular case, there is no valid reason for having bullbars on a road vehicle - I thought the EU were outlawing them

It seems to be one thing to outlaw them on new cars & another to enforce it on retrofit....

Jaguar are another point in case here - when they launched the 'S' class - the modern take on the 'Morse' Jag, they were only allowed to do so providing they didn't include the famous 'silver jaguar' statue on the front of the bonnet. They were told that it could be lethal in the event of a collision with a pedestrian.

If you look around the roads though, the amount of Range Rovers etc with flippin horses & god knows what stuck onto the bonnet fronts is alarming, but never seen one pulled.

Stekelly wrote:
    Not meaning to sound smart, but her car was written off because she drove it out in front of a hi-ace.

I think a number of the other posts have alluded to what I meant. Her car was damaged because of undeliberate actions. - an accident. The extent of the damage was by no small amount increased by the deliberate and considered decision to add bullbars. It may not have been writen off had your man not decided to add the dangerous modification. Whats more to claim damages in excess of the resale value of the vehicle despite the protection for his van whihc by all accounts prevented damage to his van.

I think a number of the other posts have alluded to what I meant. Her car was damaged because of undeliberate actions. - an accident. The extent of the damage was by no small amount increased by the deliberate and considered decision to add bullbars. It may not have been writen off had your man not decided to add the dangerous modification. Whats more to claim damages in excess of the resale value of the vehicle despite the protection for his van whihc by all accounts prevented damage to his van
    The bullbar undoubtedly increased the damage to MR DAZ's missus' car. However it may also have increased the damage to the van. I'm not entirely sure where these bullbars attach to but I'd guess it's the chassis rails or subframe. Either of these could easily be bent if an impact is transmitted into them through a solid bullbar. The result would be the vehicle being uneconomic to repair despite it having outwardly very little damage.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about the damage to his very expensive bullbars! :eek:

Why cant they just accept that there at fault. They caused the crash,,, and cause she was driving too fast to stop at a junction wrote off an innocent mans van. And now their trying to get out of it by nitpicking on bullbars. Lol. Such mufftys.

How do they know what damage is done to his van. Amazing how their 100% sure their little car is wrote off but the other persons "has little damage". FFS.

I hope the lad in the van screws them completely for whinging to the insurance company about his bullbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You're an idiot. They already accepted that they're at fault. Yer man is claiming far more than the replacement cost of his van against them, he should get screwed for that.

How do you know he is? They dont know its not "wrote off". There just assuming it is.
    If there car is wrote off, i`d imagine the van is fairly fooked too, even if the damage isnt blatantly obvious.

• Advertisement

The van is worth about 20 to 50% of what he is looking for based on prices taken from the buy & sell! He is trying to screw them and they are right to reduce their payout to a fleecing scumbag!

Advertisement