Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dating

• 14-12-2004 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if the icing ring is going to be opening up in the IFSC this year and if so, when? Its suppose to be a good place to bring a women on first or second date. What do women think about taking them on a date around that area (Financial area). There's a nice pub or two I think in that area aswell but in general its pretty quite, so I think it may be good to have a little to drink first in the pub and then go out to the icing ring for some fun and take it from there, or maybe do the icing bit first to break the ice, not litherly :D

I want some place where we can do something physical (awaiting immature response :rolleyes: ) as in my experience it does the trick, and then head to the pub or whatever

Comments

You're making cakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

As long as neither of you ends up limping to the pub afterwards because you killed your ankle it's a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I like to take girls to the Dublin Wax Museum on dates. Nothing gets a girl more excited than crawling through metres of heavily carpeted tunnels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

the one in smithfield is open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Sounds good!

If you're going to the pub beforehand, have coffee rather than drink - you'll need your balance for the skating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I like to take girls to the Dublin Wax Museum on dates. Nothing gets a girl more excited than crawling through metres of heavily carpeted tunnels.
    LOL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Ali Cat

There's one in the RDS as well....
    ...and yes, it's exactly the kind of thing that us females like to do on dates..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Ali Cat wrote:
    ...and yes, it's exactly the kind of thing that us females like to do on dates..

... except for this one. There's nothing I'd like to do less on a date than run the risk of falling flat on my ass in a puddle of icy water. Perhaps that's just me, though? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭BCB

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I work in the IFSC and I haven't heard anything about a skating rink this year. However, even if they put one in, go to Smithfield or the RDS instead. The IFSC is a soulless place devoid of any life after office hours (and not much better during them!), and the pubs down there are real after work pubs, not the sort of place for a date.

And if you do decide to go to one of these places, remember that you'll be skating, not icing, and it's a rink, not a ring. Might help avoid confusion :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

the smithfield rink is ope this year but nothing has been mentioned to date bout ifsc rink, smithfield is great, skate about and head to teh cobblestone for a nice pint of guinness, if she likes trad link it in wiht a trad night there,

At least the Smithfield rink is run by the city and you can go visit Santa in the old Jameson chimney afterwards.

The IFSC one was a bit dodgy last year. I know a few people who got ripped off by them on their credit cards. And it wasn't even real ice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eefs

Isn't the one in Smithfield the same one that was in the IFSC? The whole tent shebang looks scarily familiar to me, and I think I spied fakeice instead of realhonesttogoodnessice inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

the one in the IFSC isnt real ice. its "simulated ice" or some bullcrap. trust me steer well clear.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's no ice rink in the IFSC - I live there and haven't seen it. Then again whole culture fairs pass me by in there (always selling Man of Aran fudge).

Also zaph the place is far from soulless! After work hours there's the umm... the ummm.... I guess you could get a packet of crisps in the Spar or umm.... hmm... let me get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

ixoy wrote:
    There's no ice rink in the IFSC - I live there and haven't seen it. Then again whole culture fairs pass me by in there (always selling Man of Aran fudge).

Also zaph the place is far from soulless! After work hours there's the umm... the ummm.... I guess you could get a packet of crisps in the Spar or umm.... hmm... let me get back to you.

its down by the NCI college, at least thats where it usually is, i dont know if its there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eefs

skywalker wrote:
    its down by the NCI college, at least thats where it usually is, i dont know if its there this year.

Nope, been moved to Smithfield. Unless its become invisible whenever I'm down by NCI.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

make sure she likes to or can skate. If she is falling on her ass all night dont think she will have such a good time. I went me my girlfriend and she couldnt even move. She was gripping to the walls for dear life the whole time.

Its a good idea if she can skate tho and smithfields is definitely the best place to go. As for the IFSC its a bit too queit IMO

Okay... I've never gone to any of them.. but the one in Smithfield is there every year now, it is run by the City of Dublin and supported by BUPA. As far as I know it has always used real ice.

The one that was in the IFSC last year was a privately run operation and definitely didn't use real ice. It is not there this year. There is one over in the RDS though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭parker larkin

Did we used to date?!

• Advertisement

Did we used to date?!
    Perhaps we have... Do you have a peg leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Didn't I see this thread this time last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Should the next post be a question as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Who invented ice skating anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Don't hold hands when you're Ice skating. Its really annoying to have to quickly swerve around people holding hands, and I usually fall over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

I was at the Smithfield one two years ago and it was crappy squares of synthetic type ice....has it been improved???? Also be careful what time you bring her, i was there during the middle of the day and they thousands of little brats everywhere...would not have made for a nice date....why dont they open a proper skating rink in this damn city??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why on earth would people invent fake ice? It's just frozen water, surely, not that hard to fabricate.
    /me must go skating again one of these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely it'd take a fair bit of power to freeze up a full rink of water..

They could get it the same way Apu gets his ice for the Kwik-E-Mart by sending a expedition deep into the Arctic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

i was at the RDS one a couple of weeks ago. it's really sh1te, way too packed and the skates the hire out left me with a hole in my foot. give it a miss and try smithfield i'd say.....then at least yer near some cool bars if the date goes well......and near the liffey if it doesn't.

karlh wrote:
    ...and near the liffey if it doesn't.
    Haha... what exactly are you suggesting there???

Suicide? Murder? Both?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Well i've only ever been skating once and it left me with a shattered kneecap. I was in smithfield - but it's the safest and best of all rinks i think, i heard about a lot more accidents from the RDS. It's real ice too BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Red Alert wrote:
    Well i've only ever been skating once and it left me with a shattered kneecap.

OOH, OOH. Story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

+rep to infinity for that one...... Nothing like a carpet burn to turn a girl on.

Also to the ppl who talk about the "fake" ice rings. We had one outside our college in the IFSC. I spent many many nights outside laughing at the ppl using it..... It basically was ppl in ice skates walking along on a plastic surface..... It looked totally and utterly useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Make sure that the skates that you get are sharp, there is nothing worse than trying to skate on skates that slip out from under your feet, I was in Smithfield last year and thought it was my fault until I swapped the skates, I have skated since I was a kid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement