Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Wifi Hotspots

• 14-12-2004 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Has any anorak compiled a list of FREE WiFi Hotspots around the country and in particular in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 taoiseachjoe

Karlin Liillington's blog has a link to a collection of WIFI access points in Ireland - some of them are free.

See http://weblog.techno-culture.com/STORIES/2003/09/01/irishWifiHotspotDirectory.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

eircoms .ie has a list in the news section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

From the Eircom website
    eircom provides free wireless broadband hot spots across central Dublin
    eircom uses payphones to provide free wireless broadband trial to the public
    Surf the net from St. Stephen’s Green to the Spire
    50 public call boxes enabled by Christmas

Issued Thursday, 9 December, 2004. eircom today announced that it is providing free wireless broadband (Wi-Fi) hotspots to the public across central Dublin. A selection of eircom payphones throughout the city, are now transmitting wireless broadband access within a range of approximately 50 metres. In addition, hotspots in Rathmines, Blackrock and Dun Laoighaire have also been activated. By Christmas, eircom will enable 50 payphones providing free wireless broadband access to the public. In 2005, eircom will roll out similar services in Cork, Limerick and Galway, bringing the benefits of extremely fast, always on internet access to users
    Now I know Eircom have been reducing th enumber of payphones but it might help if they narrowed down which payphones are enabled, or do they really not want people to use them ?

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Dublins Departure gates have free wireless internet

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Eircom's WiFi hotspots are like eggs in games.

Hard to find and impossible to cook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

From the eircom website:

Here's a list of payphones in Dublin where you can access eircom wireless broadband for FREE!
    A selection of eircom payphones throughout Dublin city are now transmitting wireless broadband access within a range of approximately 50 metres.

Abbey St Outside Oval bar.
    Liffey St Outside of Arnotts.
    Talbot St Outside Irish Life Mall.
    Abbey St Lower Outside AIB.
    Henry St Outside of Roches Stores.
    Princes St Outside Penneys / GPO.
    Pearse St Outside the Holiday Inn.
    Aston Quay Pedestal.
    College St Garda Station / Trinity College/ BOI.
    Dame St Kiosk Dame St - near Central Bank.
    Burgh Quay Kiosk on Burgh Quay.
    Merrion St Lr Kiosk on Merrion St Lr.
    Foster Place Facing Gates of Trinity.
    Georges St Outside Dunnes Stores.
    Georges St Outside Marlow Dry Cleaners.
    Dame St Outside Central Bank.
    Fownes St Temple Bar Square West.
    Merrion Square Corner of Davenport.
    Stephens Green Top of Grafton St.
    Westmoreland St Outside Black Tie.
    Baggot St Outside Murphy Pub.
    Grafton St Bottom of Grafton St.
    Dawson St Outside 60/61 (Beside Book Store).
    Molesworth St Corner of Molesworth St and Dawson St.
    Chatham St Beside Banklink at Junction of Grafton St.
    Baggot St Outside O2 Offices.
    Grafton St Outside 60 / 61.
    South King St Kiosk outside eircom building.
    Stephens Green Near Fitzwilliam Hotel.
    South Anne St Outside Old Post Office.
    O'Connell St Outside old eircom store.
    Rathmines Rd Outside swimming pool.
    Rathmines Rd Outside library.
    Rathmines Rd Outside number 138.
    Blackrock Outside Warehouse.
    Blackrock 8 / 10 Main Street.
    Dun Laoighaire 41 Georges St Lr.
    Dun Laoighaire Outside Pavillion - 2 Coffee Shops.
    Batchelors Walk
    Eden Quay
    O'Connell St Upper Outside Hammam Buildings.
    O'Connell St Upper Outside Garda Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Whoa.. I didn;t know it was so broad! alot of places, cool! :D cheers John R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I see a location that is very close for me, do I just need a wireless card ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yip, tis all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dont forget the laptop too:) Argos have/had (certainly up to last week) laptop 'g' wireless cards for 35 euro which is a pretty good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Shrimp wrote:
    Dublins Departure gates have free wireless internet
    they said it was only free while we held the eu presidency, so i presume it's no longer free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

What about the rest of the country ? Galway for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

CorkWireless.com has a listing of hotspots in Cork , one or two free ones listed also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So if I was to go to dun-L and use my new laptop in my car, <50 away from the phonebox, I can connect to the net for free? If and when they do charge for it... how do they actually charge you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

carrotcake wrote:
    they said it was only free while we held the eu presidency, so i presume it's no longer free

It was certainly still free a couple of weeks ago.

cormie wrote:
    So if I was to go to dun-L and use my new laptop in my car, <50 away from the phonebox, I can connect to the net for free? If and when they do charge for it... how do they actually charge you?
    anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

cormie wrote:

1. Yes
    2. the same as eircom wireless in hotels and McDonalds, you have to buy a pre-paid card.

€10 an hour and €20 for 24 hours apparently.

the eircom website has all the details.

John R wrote:
    1. Yes
    2. the same as eircom wireless in hotels and McDonalds, you have to buy a pre-paid card.

€10 an hour and €20 for 24 hours apparently.

the eircom website has all the details.

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Also - I'm not sure if Dubwan still exists - but if it does you should be able to get access from them for free...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The Eircom web site says that the payphones are free, and everything else costs (even though I think McD's is free with a meal). The web site could well be out of date but surely the payphones are more of a gimmick than anything else? Unless you can find a cafe' within 50m's of a payphone of course.

Good service all the same. Not uncommon to be stuck in town between meetings and it's very handy to be able to go somewhere and go online and deal with e-mails and what not. I presume these wireless services are available in the lobbies of the hotels that have the hot spots as well as the rooms?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also - I'm not sure if Dubwan still exists - but if it does you should be able to get access from them for free...
    sorry it's not a charity - access to the WAN is free, but usually internet costs are shared.

Advertisement