Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Portsmouth (Scores)

• 14-12-2004 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping for a 2-0 win tonight. Portsmouth have a terrible away record and Liverpool have a great home record. With Alonso in at least SG will not have to pass it to himself and with Baros back up front at least there is a threat.
    I hope he starts Mellor up front with him and play Finnan at right back instead of Josemi.
    The thought of not getting 3 pts tonight is unthinkable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

they bloody better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Scarily, I see a 2-2 draw on the cards... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    :eek: It's only scary if it's true and you haven't bet on it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Three points tonight is an absolute must for Liverpool, but there's no guarantees against Portsmouth as we saw last season. The game is at home though and Portsmouth are missing Quashie, Yakubu, Kamara and one or two others, so based on that I'd say 2-0/2-1 to Liverpool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Shred wrote:
    and Portsmouth are missing Quashie, Yakubu, Kamara and one or two others
    Didn't know that. I have a bet on Pool (again..) so that has given me confidence. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll be hiding behind the sofa! :eek:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Liverpool: Dudek, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Traore, Nunez, Hamann, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell, Baros.

Subs: Riise, Josemi, Sinama Pongolle, Mellor, Harrison.

Portsmouth: Ashdown, Griffin, De Zeeuw, Primus, Stefanovic, LuaLua, Faye, Stone, O’Neil, Berger, Fuller.

Subs: Hislop, Taylor, Berkovic, Mezague, Cisse.

Referee: M Clattenburg (Co Durham)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i like that team :D

eirebhoy wrote:
    Liverpool: Dudek, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Traore, Nunez, Hamann, Gerrard, Alonso, Kewell, Baros.

Subs: Riise, Josemi, Sinama Pongolle, Mellor, Harrison.
    Any good reason why we didn't have something similar against Everton? (sorry if that was bitched about in Liverpool - Everton match thread, I didn't have the heart to read it...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Most likely because Benetiz was worried about the physical side of Everton's game, hence he left out Finnan and Alonso and played Diao and Joesami, I understood Benetiz conern's but for me it was his first real mistake, he should have just got Liverpool to play there normal passing game with alonso pulling the strings and Stevie G mixing it up in the middle...instead he concetrated on Everton. Hopefully he has learned from it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Nunez reminds me of the time someone signed George Weahs cousin. Supposed to be good according to reports but is really muck.

Prediction: Lua-Lua to score the only goal in the 2nd half.

Liverpool are awful.

If anybody wants to you can listen to it live from

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/localradio.shtml?mersey

you sir are a gentleman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

kida wrote:
    Nunez reminds me of the time someone signed George Weahs cousin. Supposed to be good according to reports but is really muck.

Liverpool are awful.
    And you are basing this opinion of Nunez based on what? The 180 or so minutes you have seen of him this year after him coming back from a 3 months lay off with a knee injury? He was excellent against Olympiakos in the second half. Im not saying he is the next Luis Figo, but give the lad a chance.

And as for your second comment, I doubt anyone here gives a crap what you think because you are certainly one of the more "impartial" ;) readers of these forums.

0-0 at the mo. Id still be confident of a win and a clean sheet, especially with Dudek back in goal.

Impartial - Realistic would be more accurate. :p

As for Nunez he hasn't shown we one glimmer of quality, he didn't impress me against Olympiakos. The whole Liverpool team were dominant in the 2nd half and he was no better than any one else. its easy to look good when your team is on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its also on fivelive. Jim Beglin has just commented on how bad Liverpool were.

Mike.

kida wrote:
    Impartial - Realistic would be more accurate. :p
    Saying something like "X are awful" isnt realistic, its just biased from that chip on your shoulder about Liverpool. If you say something like "Liverpool are awful in comparison to AC Milan", now maybe you might be realistic. But seeing as we are talking about Liverpool and Portsmouth Ill just put it down to blatant trolling and perhaps said chip on your shoulder (perhaps its because of all the league titles and European cups that Liverpool have won? I dont know!) :p .
    kida wrote:
    As for Nunez he hasn't shown we one glimmer of quality, he didn't impress me against Olympiakos. The whole Liverpool team were dominant in the 2nd half and he was no better than any one else. its easy to look good when your team is on top.
    He has played what, 200 minutes of football? Im sure you have watched every second. Despite Liverpools dominance against Olympiakos, he was still an integral part. I was at the game and saw so much that probably wasnt apparent on camera. As I said, I dont think he will go on to be a European superstar, but dismissing on him on two and a half games (which I doubt you have watched all of) is pathetic and ignorant.

"Liverpool are awful" was a comment about their 1st half performance. but now come to think about it........

Class comment from Alan Greene. "Real Madrid have sold Liverpool a steward" :D guess who he is talking about...

Gerrard once again :D

• Advertisement

w00t

He keeps saving us every match...hopefully does not go in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

now now kids..

listening to the commentary on LFC.tv and the pool were brutal in the first half..

Gratefully, the second half is totally opposite and they are playing well. Created loads of chances and Gerard scored a stonker!!

what did i say - Lua-Lua - go on you good thing.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Happy days

That is shocking.. Josemi needs to be dropped like a ton of bricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Boring match I thought glad Liverpool dropped points again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Dreadful result, fought hard to get the lead but one could see that goal coming for the last 15 minutes as liverpool threw possesion away so easily. Dudek should have gotten the shot/cross over the bar but it should never have gotten into the box in the first place.

Ho Hum.

Poor result. Another case of so close but......

The stats tell the story of the game

Liverpool Vs Portsmouth
    1 Goals 1
    0 1st Half Goals 0
    6 Shots on Target 3
    5 Shots off Target 3
    2 Blocked Shots 2
    7 Corners 4
    7 Fouls 10
    1 Offsides 1
    0 Yellow Cards 0
    0 Red Cards 0
    82.2 Passing Success 66.3
    49 Tackles 62
    59.2 Tackles Success 53.2
    65.4 Possession 34.6
    53.6 Territorial Advantage 46.4

but its a pity the only line that matters now is goals. I was disappointed with Dudek for the goal, a big chance to step up to the plate with Kirkland injured and out of sorts.

I still have my full faith in Liverpool and Benetiz though. Come the end of January all will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

bleedin Lua Lua cost me an accumulator, never thought it would be possible to get so pissed off at Liverpool drawing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Einst&#252 wrote: »

Wish I'd put a bet on a score draw :( I was just too busy, erm, studying for my exams, yes, that'll do...

I still have my full faith in Liverpool and Benetiz though. Come the end of January all will be good.

I am the same. Am willing to tolerate things at the moment as the team is definetly pointing in the right direction. Playing some good football and generating many chances with the only problem being is putting them away.. Hopefully this will change over the course of the season.

I'm depressed after that :( They kept the ball well for most of the game and then decide to let Portsmouth have it in the last few minutes and they scored :mad:
    I am the same. Am willing to tolerate things at the moment as the team is definetly pointing in the right direction. Playing some good football and generating many chances with the only problem being is putting them away.. Hopefully this will change over the course of the season.

Argeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm not sure Dudek could be at fault for the goal. People will say he was off his line and he should have tipped it over, but there was a lot of power in the shot and he did what he was supposed to do and that was save it.

The shot should never have been allowed in the first place and again Josemi was at fault. Hyypia also should have dealt with the parry from Dudek.

Wife says to me after tha game that she doesn't understand why I thought Liverpool would win cos as far as she remembers, they have never won a game in hand in years. Probably true.

One thing that came out of it was that if Benitez is looking for a defender, De Zeeuw impressed and he might be worth looking at in Jan.

Is Gerrard starting to remind me of Henry with his arrogant goal celebrations?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Deserved draw for Fulham, pools performance did not really deserve the 3 points, sure there is always next season ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

he has been the most consistent perfromer over the last 3 seasons.

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=133898

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In fairness, Mancini's grasp of the notion of defence makes Keegan look like George Graham.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'm not sure Dudek could be at fault for the goal. People will say he was off his line and he should have tipped it over, but there was a lot of power in the shot and he did what he was supposed to do and that was save it.

The shot should never have been allowed in the first place and again Josemi was at fault. Hyypia also should have dealt with the parry from Dudek.

Is Gerrard starting to remind me of Henry with his arrogant goal celebrations?

In all fairness, Liverpool should have killed the game of long before that with another goal or two and it wouldn't have mattered then (except goal difference of course). I think the team as a whole was to blame and not just Dudek/Josemi/Hyypia.

With regards to Gerrard's celebration, I think he was just wound up by the Portsmouth supporters chanting "Gerrard for Chelsea" throughout the game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Lex Luthor wrote:

dudek was completely at fault for the goal, 1st of all he was anticipating a cross and was very slow to react to the shot which had a good bit to travel, 2ndly he flapped at it, trying to punch outfield which he shouldnt be doing anyway as it was always going to drop somewhere dangerous. 3rdly, he failed to get height and distance and any sort of solid contact with the fists.

it's his own fault for not tipping over the bar or catching. if howard had done that it'd be classed as a major blunder and he'd have lost 2 points, being sent to the bench as a sin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

gotta agree it was a fairly big error but other than that i thought dudek looks more confident and the defense look to have more confidence in him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

mayordenis wrote:
    gotta agree it was a fairly big error but other than that i thought dudek looks more confident and the defense look to have more confidence in him.

Yeah agree but my confidence in both keepers is really on the slide.(ed: like REALLY on the slide :)

Advertisement