Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Review* - New SlipKnot album - Iowa (Not impressed)

Options
  • 25-08-2001 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I bought this album with an open mind. I heard that this album was far different from their old one, that it was "Heavier" and "So Heavy, it's Nearly Death Metal"...
    So, I though to myself, hey, I will give SlipKnot another chance... I mean, how bad could it be? It already got some great reviews, so I actualy wanted to like it.

First track in... Hey, I'm thinking this is actualy showing some promise! It sounds nasty, there are even some screams on it! Not black metal screams, but screams that would indicate something dark, something heavy, something original... These are distorted screams, quite interesting, it's definetly got my attention!
    There's no sign of any steel drums being thumped... This is showing some real promise!
    Then what happens?

"HERE WE GO MOTHERF**KERS!!!"

Oh no...

It's all gone pear shaped...
    The smile is wiped clean off my face as Corey starts rapping, this is just Spit It Out all over again, and all the other stuff they did before. He's shouting too, but it's pretty clean, nothing "Sick" or "Twisted" about his vocals at all, he's just shouting. There's no hint of Death Metal growl in his voice, or no Black Metal snarls and screams, he's just rapping loudly, nothing more.

The Lyrics are simply terrible!
    On the song "People=****" Corey just shouts out "PEOPLE=****" over and over and over again and again... Like some sort of chorus.
    The same with "Heretic Anthem", we get the exact same thing with the lyrics "If you're 555, then I'm 666!"
    Now, I thought that people were just nit-picking when they mentioned this line, when they were showing examples of SlipKnots terrible songwriting... But the fact is, half of the song is shouting out this line! "If you're 555, then I'm 666!" Over and over and over...
    The song itself sounds like Slayer, only with rapping, and shouts of "Mother****er!" and other buzzwords used so much in Nu-Metal these days.

In fact, most of the songs on the album sound like toned down slayer rip-offs. Either that, or exactly the same as songs from SlipKnot's previous album.
    And rarely do they ever show signs that they actualy use their second guitarist at all. Usualy the only time I hear two guitars being used is when one is making some kind of fuzz underneath the other's palm muting in time with the bass drum.
    Extremely unoriginal...

This is basicaly the opposite of what I've been getting from music recently, why, just last week I got ahold of Iced Earth's fantastic album, Horror Show. All I can think of right now is the fantastic lyrics that were written, and then how bad SlipKnot's efforts are...
    In the song "Damien" (Yes, it's about that kid from The Omen) I heard some of the best songwriting I've heard in ages.
    Here's a sample: "Let he who comprehends, know the number of the beast, it's a number of a man, a number just for me..."
    Comparing this to SlipKnot's habits of repeatedly shouting out buzz-phrases over and over... It's perhaps a little weak, don't you think?

I can't help but laugh at people who actualy think that SlipKnot are actualy any good!
    I can't help but laugh at the fact that the band preach about how much they are fighting against the music industry, and yet, they get so much corporate money shoved into their shows, their PR, their advertising...
    I can't help but laugh when people take them for anything more than marketed Bad Boys.
    I can't help but laugh when people call them "Death Metal" or "Black Metal" when they are nothing more than "Rap Metal."

I have recently taken the album back to the store, where I promplty replaced it for a copy of Emperor's In The Nightside Eclypse.

I have kept an open mind, and I have gone and listened to the music itself, and I was promtly greeted to the same commercial rap metal, only a bit heavier than the usual Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach junk...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

What did you expect, it's slipknot..

their fans (little kids who think they're great because they think people=****) are possibly even worse than the music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kopf:
    What did you expect, it's slipknot..
    </font>

And this is enough for a review?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

their fans (little kids who think they're great because they think people=****) are possibly even worse than the music
    </font>

heh AngelWhore are you a little kid?

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    heh AngelWhore are you a little kid?
    </font>

Uhm. she didn't seem to me to be a fan from her post.. Where did you pick this up from?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

slipknott are really bad what did you exspect from a band that shi t on stage and beat each other up and have 2 random precussion guys!

"A Master vampire that can walk in day light.....unstopable...unless we stop him!" from John Carpenters Vampires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Uhm. she didn't seem to me to be a fan from her post.. Where did you pick this up from?</font>

I had the feeling AngelWhore was a guy? Was i wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AngelWhore:
    I bought this album with an open mind. I heard that this album was far different from their old one, that it was "Heavier" and "So Heavy, it's Nearly Death Metal"...
    </font>

Well then you didn't listen to it with an open mind. You had the all these ideas about it before you pressed play.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

I can't help but laugh at people who actualy think that SlipKnot are actualy any good!
    </font>

Wasn't there a recent Thread about Music Fascists ? Did you not reply to it ? Nice one Benito.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AngelWhore:
    In the song "Damien" (Yes, it's about that kid from The Omen) I heard some of the best songwriting I've heard in ages.
    Here's a sample: "Let he who comprehends, know the number of the beast, it's a number of a man, a number just for me..."
    </font>

toot toot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gideon2000:
    I had the feeling AngelWhore was a guy? Was i wrong?</font>

heeheehee

I'll give you a clue - AngelWhore's first name is Ken...

Anyway - I wasn't aware that Iowa was out - I'll be making the purchase at lunchtime and I shall listen to this very night!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

Kharn, if you liked the previous album, you'll like this one too... Pretty much the same stuff, bit heavier...

And, no... I'm NOT a girl... And not a little kid either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I think I'll skip this one. They may say they have death metal roots...but they are still trying to appeal to all the youngsters out there with their rap-metal style.

I was greatly let down after I bought their first album on a recommendation...I won't be making that mistake again. The amount of hype surrounding it too was unbearable.

I'm sure someone I know will get it soon, then I can confirm my suspicions...

"Ca bhfuil an buama?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmmm, Slipknot had a few ok songs on their last album, it might have been chart metal type ****, but it's still better than Brittany isn it?

There's nothing wrong with rap-metal imo, they can have decent lyrics, e.g. Rage Against The Machine's first album had some quoteable songs.

I do agree tho about the majority of Slipknot fans, anyone from Cork will understand the reference to Paul St. kids, in relation to this. But don't fall into the DIY or DIE attitude of a few years back when ppl talked about punk. To some ppl, punk when released under a corporate label, is no longer punk. If the labels want to release music condemning them, then so be it biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crazylegs

fellow corkman agreeing with nesf about Paul St. it contains among other things the most horrible kind of metaller. the ones that love papa roach and linkin park coz of their sheer heaviness. i heard a hilarious thing in a papa roach interview the other day. The lead "singer" guy used to wet his pants til he was about 15. Also when asked about his favourite Black Sabbath song he had never heard of them.
    Now i dont particularly love Sabbath But i have to acknowledge their part in establishing the genre of heavy metal. as far as slipknot go i havent heard the new album ive heard the main tracks on totalrock radio (channel 885 for those fortunate to have Sky digital) and well apart from the repetitiveness its not all that bad.
    At least its better than any other nu-metal garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kilroy

Slipknot = S**t

Rage Against the Machine = Double Platinum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Slipknot....meh! me friend bought the album and i listened to one song and that was it! same old same old!
    Slipknot=(same)****
    Smashing Pumpkins=pure ownage!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Volvagia:
    Smashing Pumpkins=pure ownage!</font>

Boo-yah!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Volvagia:
    Smashing Pumpkins=pure ownage!
    </font>

*Nods in agreement*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

dude, just to sum off this topic and pray that no1 brings it up again. my thoughts exactly

http://www.ammocity.com/ammo/print_article.php?sessid=00ed77ed6c6f0a0f8d75fdd0fe2cb5b4&itemid=2514
    Slipknot, underneath it all, are a bunch of women. Great big peace 'n' love, hippy-hued, pansy-totin', cloud-watchin', day-dream believers, one of whom once said, "did you know... that diamonds rain on Neptune?" That's beautiful, man. And like all nihilists, deep in the ****/piss/****/death/****-'em-all hospital-rock manifesto of "the scariest band in the world" lies the soul of a idealistic sap who hates the world because there's just, like, not enough love in it. Bless. Your grandma would approve.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Oh Well what can i say it's Slipknot i wasn't expecting much but they do have a few good songs like
    • Wait and Bleed
    • Snap

But hey they don't care cause

PEOPLE = SH*T

Maybe one day they'll cop on make some good music ( creative music with meaningfull lyrics)

till then i'm stayingh with RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE and DEFTONES

Advertisement