Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

World's tallest bridge unveiled in France

Options
  • 14-12-2004 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

RTE NEWS
    The tallest road bridge in the world has been inaugurated in southwestern France by President Jacques Chirac.

The Millau motorway viaduct stands 343 metres at its highest point, 23 metres taller than the Eiffel Tower, and crosses the valley of the River Tarn for a distance of almost 2.5 kilometres.

It was designed by the British architect, Norman Foster, and will remove one of the country's most notorious bottlenecks when it opens to traffic on Thursday.

Was just looking at this and found a serious picture of it here!:
    Millau motorway viaduct

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

wonder would there be any cross winds there?!?!
    more piccys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

You wanna hope them security rails are sturdy: looks a long way down, without a parachute...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've seen that bridge from the ground. It was still under construction then though - couldnt drive over it.
    It's incredibly high - there's solid sides to allow for the cross winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

ambro25 wrote:
    You wanna hope them security rails are sturdy: looks a long way down, without a parachute...

Appoximately 270mtr from the deck to the ground!

Saw part of the Discovery program on it, intersting method, if you're an engineer (like me :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

will they let ye bungie jump off it. that would be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Read about it this morning. Pretty impressive. They have been working on that road for donkeys years though..
    Scruff wrote:

Your a braver man than myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Also discussed with more pics here

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Beee-yootiful piece of work.
    My guess is it would cost the Irish Government at least 8 hundred thousand million (prob in backhanders) to get something that magnificent done here. ;) .
    But it is truly a savage looking bridge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cost about 300m and the toll contract runs for ~70 years
    peak tolls about €6.60 and off peak €4.90
    (don't let NTR find out)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kersh wrote:
    Beee-yootiful piece of work.
    My guess is it would cost the Irish Government at least 8 hundred thousand million (prob in backhanders) to get something that magnificent done here. ;) .
    But it is truly a savage looking bridge.

It cost the French government (taxpayer) nothing to build...

Tolls for 75 years though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tolls in France aren't too bad as you get excellent quality roads.
    Furthermore, unlike the likes of the M3 which will go from Clonee to Kells (about 50km) and have two tolls the autoroutes in France go on for several hundred miles, have fewer toll booths per hundred km and the overall cost per mile is cheaper.

Scruff wrote:

Can't see that happening, unfortunately, as it would be blocking a lane (for support platform, ramp, etc.).

However, I reckon it won't be long before someone base-jumps it, though:drive by, stop the car halfway-though 5-10 seconds, jump out of the car, then over the railing - wahey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ambro25 wrote:
    Can't see that happening, unfortunately, as it would be blocking a lane (for support platform, ramp, etc.).

However, I reckon it won't be long before someone base-jumps it, though:drive by, stop the car halfway-though 5-10 seconds, jump out of the car, then over the railing - wahey!
    I suspect there will be huge fines/jail time for any would be base jumpers. Getting the car back would be a b*tch. :D

Bond-007 wrote:
    I suspect there will be huge fines/jail time for any would be base jumpers. Getting the car back would be a b*tch. :D

base-jumper doesn't drive, his/her mate does. + (with curvature & length of bridge) how they gonna know which car the jumper got out of? Done deal...

Advertisement