Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parliamentary Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

More questions. Rather specific ones, you'd wonder is someone in Wexford looking to set up a newspaper story?
    *426. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of robberies and aggravated burglaries where firearms were used which were reported; the number which were detected in the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 in the Gorey district, County Wexford; and if he will make a statement on the matter.— Paul Kehoe. [12149/06]

*427. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of robberies and aggravated burglaries where firearms were used which were reported; the number which were detected in the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 in the New Ross district, County Wexford; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Paul Kehoe. [12150/06]

*428. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of robberies and aggravated burglaries where firearms were used which were reported; the number which were detected in the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 in the Wexford district, County Wexford; and if he will make a statement on the matter.— Paul Kehoe. [12151/06]

*435. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of times a year members of An Garda Sı´ocha´na from each County were trained to use firearms; what the training entails; the number of firearms which were used in each training session in the years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Paul Kehoe. [12158/06]

*436. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of computer courses members of An Garda Sı´ocha´na have gone on to train themselves how to use the PULSE system (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Paul Kehoe. [12159/06]

*437. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of members of An Garda Sı´ocha´na (details supplied) who were registered, trained and licensed to carry and use firearms in each year from 1997 to 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Paul Kehoe. [12160/06]

*442. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of robberies and aggravated burglaries where firearms were used which were reported; the number which were detected in the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 (details supplied) in County Wexford. — Paul Kehoe. [12165/06]

And some answers:
    410. Mr. Kehoe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of members of the Garda Síochána in the Enniscorthy district, County Wexford who were registered, trained and licensed to carry and use firearms in each of the years from 1997 to 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12133/06]

411. Mr. Kehoe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of members of the Garda Síochána in the New Ross district, County Wexford who were registered, trained and licensed to carry and use firearms in each of the years from 1997 to 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12134/06]

412. Mr. Kehoe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of members of the Garda Síochána in the Wexford district, County Wexford who were registered, trained and licensed to carry and use fire-arms in each of the years from 1997 to 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12135/06]

437. Mr. Kehoe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of members of the Garda Síochána (details supplied) who were registered, trained and licensed to carry and use firearms in each year from 1997 to 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12160/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I propose to take Questions Nos. 410 to 412, inclusive, and 437 together.

The number of gardaí who carry arms on duty at any particular time is an operational matter for the commissioner. Instruction governing the use of firearms and practical tactical training is provided for each firearm on issue to the Garda Síochána. Members must achieve the necessary skills and standards to meet the aims and objectives for each firearms course. There is also an ongoing annual re-certification programme, which includes refresher training.

Members of the Garda Síochána who successfully complete the relevant firearms training course are issued with a certificate of competency in the particular firearm. In order to carry a firearm on duty, the member’s chief superintendent must issue the member with a firearm authorisation card. I am informed by the Garda authorities that the total number of firearms cards issued for the year ending 31 December 2005 was 3,631.

Garda management states that for security and operational reasons it is not Garda policy to disclose the number of members of the Garda Síochána who are registered, trained and licensed to carry and use firearms at District level, as requested by the Deputy.
    426. Mr. Kehoe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of robberies and aggravated burglaries where firearms were used which were reported; the number which were detected in the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 in the Gorey district, County Wexford; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12149/06]

427. Mr. Kehoe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of robberies and aggravated burglaries where firearms were used which were reported; the number which were detected in the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 in the New Ross district, County Wexford; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12150/06]

428. Mr. Kehoe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of robberies and aggravated burglaries where firearms were used which were reported; the number which were detected in the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 in the Wexford district, County Wexford; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12151/06]

442. Mr. Kehoe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of robberies and aggravated burglaries where firearms were used which were reported; the number which were detected in the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 (details supplied) in County Wexford. [12165/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I propose to take Questions Nos. 426, 427, 428 and 442 together. I am informed by the Garda authorities that the following table provides the total number of robbery and aggravated burglary offences where a firearm was used, recorded and detected in the Garda districts of Wexford, New Ross, Gorey and Enniscorthy for the years 2002-05. I am pleased to note that the table shows a reduction of 37.5% in offences recorded, where a firearm was used in the districts concerned, from 2004-05.

The introduction of the PULSE computer system by the Garda Síochána in 1999 has led to more complete and comprehensive recording of crimes reported than was previously the case. The figures provided for 2000 and 2001 are incomplete due to the phased implementation of PULSE. The first full year captured is 2002 and is a more accurate base year to use.

It should be borne in mind that any interpretation of the crime figures should factor in the increase in our population in the past ten years. In 1995, with a population of almost 3.6 million people, there were 29 crimes per 1,000 of the population. In 2005, with a population of over 4.1 million, there were 24.6 crimes per 1,000 of the population, a reduction of 4.4 crimes per 1,000 of the population. To put this in context, during the two full years of the rainbow coalition government, with a population of 600,000 less than at present, the headline crime figures were as follows: 1995 - 102,484; 1996 - 100,785.

I propose bringing forward a range of measures to strengthen the law governing the control of firearms in the Criminal Justice Bill 2004, which is currently before the House. These new measures include increases in fines and penalties generally for offences under the Firearms Acts and the creation of mandatory minimum sentences, of between five and ten years, for certain firearms offences, including possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of firearm with criminal intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property, possession of a firearm while hijacking a vehicle, and use or production of a firearm to resist arrest.

In this context I also propose to introduce a statutory basis for an amnesty during which firearms may be surrendered to the Garda Síochána before the proposed new penalties and minimum mandatory sentences are introduced. This will enable those in possession of firearms, who are not in compliance with the legal requirements, to regularise their position, and thus enable the Garda Síochána to concentrate on more serious offenders.

Figures provided for 2005 are provisional, operational and liable to change.

Robbery and aggravated burglary offences where a firearm was used, recorded and detected for the Garda districts of Gorey, Enniscorthy, Wexford and New Ross for the years 2002-05
    2005 2004 2003 2002
    Garda district Rec Det Rec Det Rec Det Rec Det
    Gorey 3 2 5 2 1 1 1 1
    Enniscorthy 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1
    Wexford 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0
    New Ross 1 1 1 0 2 1 0 0
    Total 5 3 8 2 4 3 2 2
    435. Mr. Kehoe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of times a year members of the Garda Síochána from each county were trained to use firearms; what the training entails; the number of firearms used in each training session in the years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12158/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I have been informed by the Garda authorities that all members of the Garda Síochána who are authorised to carry a firearm are required to attend refresher training three times per year. Each Garda division is required to ensure that all members authorised to carry firearms meet the three times per year training commitment. I have been further informed that the training entails a one-day refresher course where each member must discharge ammunition and demonstrate his or her ability to handle the firearm safely and show competency in cleaning and maintaining it. Each Garda member must train on the type of firearm he or she is authorised to carry.

The information requested by the Deputy relating to the number of firearms used in each training session in the years 2000 to 2005, inclusive, is not readily available in the detail sought and can only be obtained by a disproportionate expenditure of Garda time and resources.

A few more questions today, at least one of which (451) we've asked before and been told that the answers aren't available as the gardai don't track whether or not a firearm used in a crime was ever licenced...
    *450. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of legally held firearms here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Billy Timmins. [18434/06]
    *451. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of legally held firearms that were found to be used in crimes here in 2005. — Billy Timmins. [18435/06]
    *452. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of offences committed here in 2005 which involved the use of a firearm; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Billy Timmins. [18436/06]
    *454. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he will respond to correspondence (details supplied) concerning licensed firearm certificate holders; and the number of those certificate holders who have been charged under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990. — Finian McGrath. [18495/06]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    A few more questions today, at least one of which (451) we've asked before and been told that the answers aren't available as the gardai don't track whether or not a firearm used in a crime was ever licenced...
    Would it be cynical of me to postulate that if these 'unavailable' figures supported the 'anti' viewpoint, they would have been collated and made available long ago?

Perhaps not, but then...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well its something that i've wanted to know for ages anyway so i'll be happy either way to know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ill put money on the figures will show that shooters are extreamly law abiding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Sparks wrote:

tbh I think its unbelievable that they dont check whether a firearm used in a crime has been licenced, youd think it would be basic procedure, for example if the criminal is unknown and they are in possesion of a weapon found at a crime scene? chances are its not licenced but whos to know?

...youd think it would be basic procedure...
    Which is what leads me to suspect that such statistics wouldn't support 'a certain viewpoint,' and they are thus 'unavailable.'

Perhaps I'm being unkind, and it is merely old fashioned 'un-joined up thinking,' and such data really isn't collected; but really, it'd be utterly staggering to think that guns seized from criminals or at crime scenes aren't checked against PULSE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

They are I think, one board member here mentioned being contacted by the Gardí after his stolen shotgun turned up at a crime scene as far as I remember.

I think this is important, from my limited enough knowledge of the subject I would think that if they want to restrict licencing of various larger caliber firearms here then they should need to prove that these firearms are with some degree of regularity in crimes, which I doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I would think that if they want to restrict licencing of various larger caliber firearms here then they should need to prove that these firearms are with some degree of regularity in crimes

Pointless argument..In reality ..
    They don't need to prove anything .:(

What's the odd's of some getting killed by an air pistol ..nil , unless you used
    it as a hammer . Didn't stop them being "Unavailable" for years.
    Logic and facts have got very little to do with it.

I know the word im using though is they should have to prove it, in reality your probably right if they want to ban something its likely they will go ahead and do it regardless of the facts.

I hate reading between the lines when what you read looks like this:
    450. Mr. Timmins asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of legally held firearms here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [18434/06]

451. Mr. Timmins asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of legally held firearms that were found to be used in crimes here in 2005. [18435/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I propose to take Questions Nos. 450 and 451 together.

I am informed by the Garda authorities that the information requested is not readily available. I will write to the Deputy with the information as soon as I obtain it from the Gardaí.

452. Mr. Timmins asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of offences committed here in 2005 which involved the use of a firearm; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [18436/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I am informed by the Garda authorities that the total number of headline offences recorded in the year 2005 which involved the use of a firearm was 536 and the total detected was 214. The figures provided are provisional, operational and liable to change.

In relation to firearms in general, I propose bringing forward a range of measures to strengthen the law governing the control of firearms in the Criminal Justice Bill, 2004, which is currently before the Select Committee on Justice, Equality, Defence and Women’s Rights. These new measures include increases in fines and penalties generally for offences under the Firearms Acts and the creation of mandatory minimum sentences, of between five and ten years, for certain firearms offences, including possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of a firearm with criminal intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property, possession of a firearm while hijacking a vehicle, and use or production of a firearm to resist arrest.

In this context I also propose to introduce a statutory basis for an amnesty during which firearms may be surrendered to the Garda Síochána before the proposed new penalties and minimum mandatory sentences are introduced. This will enable those in possession of firearms, who are not in compliance with the legal requirements, to regularise their position, and thus enable the Garda Síochána to concentrate on more serious offenders.

And I'm still trying to figure this one out:
    435. Mr. Bruton asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the figures for the number of licensed firearm certificate holders who have been charged under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act. [18371/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I am informed by the Garda authorities that since the computerisation of the firearms licensing system in January, 2000 their records show that proceedings have been brought against 8,265 licensed firearm certificate holders for offences under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990. Prior to that date the firearms licensing system was a manual system and the information sought by the Deputy for the years prior to 2000 could only be obtained by the disproportionate expenditure of Garda time and resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Proceedings under the FOW Act against 8265 licence holders since 1990....
    Surely that can't be right ?

so rounding down that makes it 3 people a day for the last 6 years, i don't believe that for a second and would like a break down of those figures

Am i the only one who thinks he and his researchers are tools

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Those numbers sound dodgy.

17HMR wrote:
    Proceedings under the FOW Act against 8265 licence holders since 1990....
    Surely that can't be right ?
    I think that's 8265 proceedings since January 2000, under the 1990 Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act.

As Vegeta says, that's 3.7 proceedings/day for 6 years, and I too would love to see a breakdown of the 'offences' involved.

who can i contact to ask about those figures

I am sick of that mans ignorance

Rovi wrote:
    I think that's 8265 proceedings since January 2000, under the 1990 Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act.

As Vegeta says, that's 3.7 proceedings/day for 6 years, and I too would love to see a breakdown of the 'offences' involved.

and even at that we're only half way through 2006 so its more like 4.1 people a day for the last 5.5 years

who can i contact to ask about those figures

I am sick of that mans ignorance

I don't think personalising things will help much, all the Minister can work with is the figures he's given. I think the shooing organisations will agree that McDowell seems to be more amenable to shooting issues than some of his predecessors.

Anyway, talk to some opposition TD's, they like nothing better than being able to point out flaws in stuff a Minister reads to the Dail.

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:
    I don't think personalising things will help much, all the Minister can work with is the figures he's given. I think the shooing organisations will agree that McDowell seems to be more amenable to shooting issues than some of his predecessors.

Anyway, talk to some opposition TD's, they like nothing better than being able to point out flaws in stuff a Minister reads to the Dail.

I am not using the term ignorant as many people now use it i.e. an attack of his character but as its true meaning, uneducated or uninformed.

it is his job as minister to be as well informed as possible.

Surely he read 8265 and thought "Jaysus 4 people a day for the last 5.5 years, that's higher than i would have thought"

Dec 6
    152. Mr. English asked the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his plans to enhance Garda training in order that additional members of An Garda Síochána will be trained in the use of firearms; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [41836/06]
    153. Mr. English asked the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of gardaí that have completed training in the use of firearms, with a breakdown for each Garda division; if he is satisfied with these numbers; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [41837/06]
    158. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform when dedicated firearms training facilities will be made available to members of An Garda Síochána holding firearms certificates. [41851/06]

Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I propose to take Questions Nos. 152, 153 and 158 together.

I have been informed by Garda authorities that the total number of Gardaí that have completed training in the use of firearms, as at the 4th December, 2006 was 2942 (all ranks). Garda management state that they are satisfied that the members trained meet their current operational needs.

I have been further informed by the Garda Authorities that a Garda Working Group on Firearms Training, recommended that not more than 10% of the uniformed divisional strength, in addition to the detective branch, should be authorised/trained in firearms. Any consideration to increase the number of trained members in any Division takes account of the recommendation of the Assistant Commissioner for the Region concerned.

A number of avenues are currently being pursued in order to provide An Garda Síochána with dedicated firearms training facilities. These include:

Replacement of the existing firearms range at Garda Headquarters in Phoenix Park, Dublin, with a new underground facility,

Development of Firearms Training capabilities at the recently purchased Dromard House near the Garda Training College at Templemore, and

Examination by OPW of Garda proposals to develop a facility which would serve the wider needs of the Dublin Metropolitan Region and Eastern Seaboard.

The timescale for the delivery of these initiatives has yet to be determined. In the interim, military ranges are being utilised to provide the requisite training for Garda personnel.

Garda management inform me that the refurbishment of two rooms at the firing range at Garda Headquarters, as a temporary measure, to accommodate the Virtual Firearms Automated Training Systems (FATS) and the delivery of the Virtual Firearms Automated Training Systems are both scheduled for this month.

From today:
    *238. To ask the Tanaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of homicides in the State involving the use of firearms from 1 June 2002 to 1 December 2006; the number of the homicides involving firearms committed during this period, that have resulted in successful convictions; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Richard Bruton. [43852/06]
    *280. To ask the Tanaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the level of training provided to An Garda Siochana, who participate in firearm courses; the number of hours of training; if there are plans in place to reduce the number of hours for participants who participate in this specific course; if new weapons are currently being introduced into the Force which require additional training; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Richard Bruton. [1361/07]
    *458. To ask the Ta´ naiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the thinking and philosophy behind the kind of firearms proposed to be restricted for licensed firearm holders; the reasons therefore; and if he will make a statement on the matter. —Jim O’Keeffe. [2867/07]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

*458. To ask the Ta´ naiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the thinking and philosophy behind the kind of firearms proposed to be restricted for licensed firearm holders; the reasons therefore; and if he will make a statement on the matter. —Jim O’Keeffe. [2867/07] :

Good stuff there from Jim O'Keeffe :cool: .

Given the history of Deputy O'Keefe's previous Dail statements on firearms licencing, i woulsn't be so confident.

Indeed. It was against him that the Minister wound up arguing for a more lenient firearms act during the CJB debates...

Answers up:
    238. Mr. Bruton asked the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of homicides in the State involving the use of firearms from 1 June 2002 to 1 December 2006; the number of the homicides involving firearms committed during this period that have resulted in successful convictions; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [43852/06]

Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I am informed by the Garda authorities that the following table shows the numbers of murder offences recorded where a firearm was used and the numbers of detections, proceedings commenced and convictions in respect of those murders between 1 June, 2002 and 1 December 2006. It is anticipated that the number of convictions obtained will increase as the number of proceedings commenced are finalised by the courts.

Operation Anvil is central to the strategy of the Garda Síochána in combating serious crime and in particular murder. The Operation, which commenced in the Dublin Metropolitan Region in May, 2005 and was subsequently extended nationwide at my request, has proved to be very successful in disrupting the criminal activities of a number of key criminal gangs. It has resulted in a number of high-profile arrests and the acquisition of intelligence on the movements of criminals. Notable improvements have been achieved in the recorded number of incidents of crime being targeted by the Operation. In particular, I am pleased to note the increase of 34% in detections of possession of firearms in the fourth quarter of 2006 which I believe has contributed to the reduction of 3.4% in discharges of firearms. I believe that Operation Anvil has also contributed to the increase in that quarter of detections of offences of possession of drugs for sale or supply which is closely associated with many murders using firearms.

In addition to the introduction of Operation Anvil, the Garda Commissioner in November 2005 augmented the Organised Crime Unit at the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation with an additional 55 Garda members to address the problem of criminal gang activity. Enforcement by the Unit has resulted in further firearms being seized and a number of persons arrested, thereby disrupting their criminal activities. There has also been an increase in Garda monitoring and targeting of individuals and groups involved in armed crime in particular. In December last, the Commissioner allocated an additional 20 officers to the Bureau.

A wide range of provisions to combat gun crime were introduced in the Criminal Justice Act, 2006. With effect from 1 November, mandatory minimum sentences, of between five and ten years, came into effect for certain firearms offences, including possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of firearm with criminal intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property, possession of a firearm while hijacking a vehicle, and use or production of a firearm to resist arrest.

Recent events, particularly the deaths of wholly innocent members of the public caught up in internecine gangland conflict, have made it tragically clear that what has been achieved already must be built on so that we can protect our society from the dangers in our midst. A Government can have no greater priority than the safety of its people and it is against that background that we have taken a series of decisions which involve a comprehensive programme of measures to ensure that the full resources of the State are brought to bear as never before against the activities of those who have showed a callous disregard for the rule of law.

On 19 December last, the Government agreed my proposals for an unprecedented package of measures which includes:

· A further increase of 1,000 in the strength of An Garda Síochána to bring the total to 15,000 over the next three years;

· Sanction for 300 additional civilian administrative support posts for An Garda Síochána;

· The recruitment of the 7 senior civilian posts recommended in the recent reports from Kathleen O’Toole and Maurice Hayes;

· An increase in the retirement age for Gardaí, Sergeants and Inspectors from 57 to 60;

· A proportionate increase in the targeted strength of the Garda Reserve from 900 to 1500;

· Increased staffing for the Forensic Science Laboratory, the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions and the Courts Service;

· No limit on funds available for the Witness Protection Programme.

I will shortly be putting legislative proposals to Government. I am informed by the Garda authorities that murders involving the use of firearms tend to have lower conviction rates than other murders. This is not unique to Ireland. I am assured by the Garda Commissioner that the highest priority is given by An Garda Síochána to the investigation of murders and the detection of those responsible.

Number of Homicide Offences where a Firearm was Used (Recorded, Detected, Proceedings Commenced and Convictions) from 1 June 2002 to 1 December 2006
    Recorded Detected Proceedings Commenced Convictions
    2006*(up to 1 December) 20 7 4 0
    2005 21 4 2 1
    2004 9 8 5 4
    2003 20 11 4 2
    2002(from 1 June) 5 3 2 1

* figures are provisional, operational and liable to change

And here (Jim O'Keefe's question isn't up yet):
    280. Mr. Bruton asked the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the level of training provided to An Garda Síochána, who participate in firearm courses; the number of hours of training; if there are plans in place to reduce the number of hours for participants who participate in this specific course; if new weapons are currently being introduced into the Force which require additional training; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [1361/07]

Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I have requested the information sought by the Deputy from the Garda authorities. I will be in contact with the Deputy when this information is to hand.

Jim O'Keefe's answer's now up:
    458. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the thinking and philosophy behind the kind of firearms proposed to be restricted for licensed firearm holders; the reasons therefore; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2867/07]

Tánaiste and Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): Section 29 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2006 inserts a new section 2B into the Firearms Act, 1925 which provides that I may, in the interests of public safety and security, by order declare specific firearms and ammunition as “restricted firearms” by reference to their category, calibre, working mechanism, muzzle energy and description.

Officials of my Department are currently in discussions with An Garda Síochána and representatives of the main shooting organisations regarding the types of firearm which may be “restricted”. Following these discussions the statutory instrument, which will deem certain firearms as “restricted firearms” for the purposes of the section 2B of the 1925 Act, will be finalised. It is important to note that firearms deemed to be “restricted” may be licensed by the Garda Commissioner and any person wishing to obtain such a licence may apply to the Commissioner for a firearms certificate. The Commissioner may issue a firearms certificate for a “restricted firearm” where he is satisfied that the person fully complies with the conditions, set out in section 4 of the 1925 Act, for the grant of a “restricted firearm” certificate.

The purpose of designating certain firearms as “restricted firearms” is to ensure that, in the interests of public safety and security, certain firearms may only licensed following careful examination by the Garda Commissioner and where specific conditions are met.

Nice little non-answer, that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

palimentary questions?are w being run by westminster again?
    time for the old Lee Enfields again
    Bryan

Advertisement