Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone work in Mickey D's?

• 14-12-2004 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Anyone here ever work in McDonalds??????? If so which one and what was it like? Were the management crap?? Was the social life great????? Do you miss it???? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

superquinn lucan
    3weeks
    hated it
    and managment sh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

superquinn lucan
    3weeks
    hated it
    and managment sh!t
    I designed a flyer for that branch once. They actually had a job vacancies advert on one whole page of the flyer...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Used to work in the Drive through in McDonalds. Lasted 6 weeks. Hated it. Management were ****. Social Life? HAHAHAH

Miss it? Yeah, like the plague.

I sometimes have to eat in the one in Northside Shopping Centre. That's a bit of a chore... but not quite a job...

It's not even a proper McDonalds.. it doesn't do Quarter Pounders.... sheesh...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Ahh monkeyfudge, how you crack me up!

Of course management is crap, its maccy d's (thats what the welsh call it) they'd still sell their delicious Big Mac's if the place were run by monkey's

• Advertisement

Peteee wrote:
    they'd still sell their delicious Big Mac's if the place were run by monkey's
    Now THERE'S a fast food chain I'd like to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeh i hate that one in northside with their lack of quarterpounders.
    But artane is just too far away...
    =(
    All my friends who've worked there hated it.

I miss Wonderburger... mmmm... Wonderful Wonderburger... there was something captivating about their special sauce...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I miss Wonderburger... mmmm... Wonderful Wonderburger... there was something captivating about their special sauce...

:eek:

Oh god that place was awful.

The McD's down at Woodies is ok, and they do Quarter Pounders.

But, closer than that, is the BK at Power City, used to get free stuff in there because I knew a few of the people who worked in there.

Artane McD's is ok too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I used to work in McDonalds ... Part Time for 6 years whilst in college ... I enjoyed it alot [except for the last year] ... In relation to the management, no matter where you work you'll come up against managers who are complete and utter b@stards!!

I miss it @ this time of year, because we used to have a great laff!!

The social life consisted of working until 12.30 on a Thursday night & then heading to CoCos to try & get drunk in the hour that was left :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    I used to work in McDonalds ... Part Time for 6 years whilst in college ... I enjoyed it alot [except for the last year] ... In relation to the management, no matter where you work you'll come up against managers who are complete and utter b@stards!!

I miss it @ this time of year, because we used to have a great laff!!

The social life consisted of working until 12.30 on a Thursday night & then heading to CoCos to try & get drunk in the hour that was left :D

I worked in Dun Laoghaire for 4 and a half years part time, yeah the managment were mostly pr*cks but we had such a laugh there, now this is back in the early 90's so its before the McDonalds Corporation took over. Christmas there was great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

BolBill wrote:
    back in the early 90's so its before the McDonalds Corporation took over.
    didn the mcdonalds corporation always own mcdonalds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I worked in McDonald's for a while.

Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Chalk wrote:
    didn the mcdonalds corporation always own mcdonalds?

No, think some dude had franchises all over Dublin, but he sold them (the actual restaurants) back to MacDonalds in the late 90's (maybe mid). (apparently, he still had to keep an office open to deal with ongoing lawsuits, but not sure how true that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eefs

I sometimes have to eat in the one in Northside Shopping Centre. That's a bit of a chore... but not quite a job...

It's not even a proper McDonalds.. it doesn't do Quarter Pounders.... sheesh...

No Quarter Pounders? Why? Why would they do this?

Too many McDonald's around my way - although I try and avoid the one in the Square as much as possible. And the drive through one. Maybe that one down by the Ashleaf too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Not all managers are ******s. Where i work they are all absoultely bang on, honest.
    Never worked in Mcdonalds, did few pizza places. Last one was Pizza hut. Now that was sh*t. Being shown what to do by these kids. And then having to wear the tightest t-shirt. Needless to say I said my goodbyes 4 hours later. Shortest job ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i worked for a summer in one in tallaght. worst summer of me life. pay was worse. i asked them once why the pay was below minimum wage and they said coz we get free food to make up for it! put on 2 stone from free food. defo woulda rathered more money! female managers (not to generalise) were ****. found them very demeaning and very prone to bouts of PMS. i just had to keep repeating to myself "its ok, they're stuck here for life, ur in college, they're stuck here for life, ur in college". they threatened to take me to court for some stupid little reason aswell. Koontz!
    since then, i havent once stepped foot inside the door of a McDonalds anywhere, probably coz the amount of times i saw MANAGERS, ffs, droppin burgers and puttin them back on! pure scum. at least i can say i never used a burger i dropped. i think i was probably the only one aswell!!
    come to tink of it, ive only eaten from burger king i think twice since then aswell.

The_B_Man wrote:
    i worked for a summer in one in tallaght. worst summer of me life. pay was worse. i asked them once why the pay was below minimum wage and they said coz we get free food to make up for it! put on 2 stone from free food. defo woulda rathered more money! female managers (not to generalise) were ****. found them very demeaning and very prone to bouts of PMS. i just had to keep repeating to myself "its ok, they're stuck here for life, ur in college, they're stuck here for life, ur in college". they threatened to take me to court for some stupid little reason aswell. Koontz!
    since then, i havent once stepped foot inside the door of a McDonalds anywhere, probably coz the amount of times i saw MANAGERS, ffs, droppin burgers and puttin them back on! pure scum. at least i can say i never used a burger i dropped. i think i was probably the only one aswell!!
    come to tink of it, ive only eaten from burger king i think twice since then aswell.

We go to the same McD's then, yeah? Sh!tholes, the both of them.

ye if ur up by the drive thru your best off goin over to the Londis and gettin a roll!! ;)

The_B_Man wrote:
    ye if ur up by the drive thru your best off goin over to the Londis and gettin a roll!! ;)

Good man! Good man! But don't go there after Christmas Eve, their star roll maker will have quit her job. :D

• Advertisement

its ok, ill just turn up at ur front door some day demandin a breakfast roll or something!!!

ps just so u know, buttered with 2 rashers, 2 sausages and a bit of ketchup!! NICE!!
    im hungry now.

No bother, I'll have it ready for ya!

*Hopes she hasn't revealed her address yet....*

eefs wrote:
    No bother, I'll have it ready for ya!

*Hopes she hasn't revealed her address yet....*

LOL! Redwood!! sure dont Londis give out staffs addresses on request when u spend fiver or more on a roll with two meat and 2 salads? its like their equivalent of a happy meal toy! :rolleyes:

Oh....sheeeeet.

Yeah come on down, open door during Christmas. Heh. :D

you know i have that in writing now so you cant back out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I worked in McDonalds in summer 2003... I worked in the Northside one.

It's a new concept they were trying, McExpress, it doesn't do quarters 'cos they require a seperate grill configuration from regulars and there wasn't enough space in that tiny hole to operate regular grills and quarter grills.

Anyway, working for McDonalds is actually pretty fun. The whole crew at Northside were hired at the same time and we did our training in Donaghmede before we moved into the one in Northside. The people are all pretty sound although as people have said, some of the managers can be **** but you just have to remember that they're their forever and you can leave whenever. We used to call 'em McLifers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Cactus Col wrote:
    No, think some dude had franchises all over Dublin, but he sold them (the actual restaurants) back to MacDonalds in the late 90's (maybe mid). (apparently, he still had to keep an office open to deal with ongoing lawsuits, but not sure how true that is)

They were owed by Pantry Franchise Ireland run by Mike somebody or other. He sold them back to the McD's Corporation in the late nineties for 80 million or something.

Back in the early nineties it was agreat place to work. Anyone work in Dun Laoghaire ????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"We used to call 'em McLifers."

Scary. We had that term in McDonalds too - either for managers or people who were 'too old' to be working there as an employee.

I worked in the O'Connell Street branch (i.e. the side nearest Parnell Street - ew). The manager was good, the social life was okay - the job itself though was horrible, especially at this time last year since, every week, it became progressively busier in town.

After Christmas, of course, it sharply dropped off. I got no Christmas bonus or even a 'thanks' for the extra hours that I threw in here and there - so one day I just thought 'nah, not for me' and handed in my notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

BolBill wrote:
    They were owed by Pantry Franchise Ireland run by Mike somebody or other. He sold them back to the McD's Corporation in the late nineties for 80 million or something.

Back in the early nineties it was agreat place to work. Anyone work in Dun Laoghaire ????????????????

That's right ... Pantry Franchise .. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

BolBill wrote:

His name was Michael Mehigan ... I was convinced he hadn't a clue half the time ... He always got my name, even though I had my name badge on ... American Gobsh!te :D

Funnily, if you look up Pantry Franchise Ireland on google, the vast majority of the links refer to cases taken by employees :D

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=%22pantry+franchise+ireland%22&meta=

The_B_Man wrote:
    you know i have that in writing now so you cant back out?

Redwood is a biiig place :D Got a couple hundred houses to knock on before you find me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

BolBill wrote:
    I worked in Dun Laoghaire for 4 and a half years part time, yeah the managment were mostly pr*cks but we had such a laugh there, now this is back in the early 90's so its before the McDonalds Corporation took over. Christmas there was great craic.

I must get Ed McHugh to log in here, he'd get a kick out of this.

Advertisement