Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw/Audi TDI

Options
  • 14-12-2004 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Anyone nock around in one of these babies?
    I have a Golf TDi with a tuning box, Incredible difference, I also have my own diagnostic machine including know how to use it not like so many guys out there, If you fancy a tuning box mail me for details,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Mr Majeka wrote:
    Anyone nock around in one of these babies?
    I have a Golf TDi with a tuning box, Incredible difference, I also have my own diagnostic machine including know how to use it not like so many guys out there, If you fancy a tuning box mail me for details,

I've driven the A4 1.9 TDi - 130 horses. A great car, goes like stink for the size of it. Very quick for an oil burner. Granted, it sounds a little like a tank when you first fire her up, but after a while, she's grand :) What does the tuning box do exactly?

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Tuning boxes overfuel the engine by tricking the ECU by one or all of the following means:

1. Making the ECU think more air is coming into the engine by altering the MAF (mass air flow) signal
    2. Making the ECU think more air is coming into the engine by altering the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) signal
    3. Making the ECU think the engine is running leaner by altering the Lambda signal
    4. Making the ECU think the intake air is colder

Some can also increase turbo boost pressure

Because diesels tend to run very lean, there is often scope to tune them up considerably but going too far just ends up with lots of black smoke caused by unburnt fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Mr Majeka wrote:
    If you fancy a tuning box mail me for details,

they are widely available from different places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr Majeka

I must stress that the lambda signal is not calculated by the ecu on initial acceleration, It will try and lean it off eventually but certainly not initially,

A few ways have been quted there on tuning secrets but they are over the hill now, There are bigger and better ways today,

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Mr Majeka wrote:
    I must stress that the lambda signal is not calculated by the ecu on initial acceleration, It will try and lean it off eventually but certainly not initially,

A few ways have been quted there on tuning secrets but they are over the hill now, There are bigger and better ways today,

:D

Still the same principle, the tuning box takes the feed from these sensors, modifies them and sends the altered signal to the ecu causing it to overfuel relative to the manufacturers setup. The signal processing has got more sophisticated but the principle stays the same.

Other bigger and better ways include advancing the timing of the injection, and increasing the injection pressure, but these were modifications that were possible on old mechanical injector pumps so are hardly new or revolutionary.

The only new tuning method in recent years is increasing the injection time which in itself is just another method of overfueling so hardly revolutionary.

The reality is that tuning boxes contain about €20 of electronics, and thats the cost of purchasing the components retail.

Oops, did I just out the tuning box industry :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement