Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless probs...

• 14-12-2004 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi guys,

I just set up a wireless connection in my house there a few days ago. Im with IOL BB and use the Xyzel modem they provide, which is connected to the Sitecom wireless router i bought a few days ago. My PC is connected with a network cable to the LAN port on the w-less router (the wireless connection is intened for a laptop).

It was working fine for a few hours but then i noticed the DSL light was going off on my modem every few minutes, and then coming on again, so i am constantly losing connection.

A mate is having the same problem. Does anyone know what the problem is? Configuratoin, hardware conflict etc?

Any help would be appreciated,
    cheers

HAL909

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

The flashing DSL light means the BB signal is not being recieved correctly.
    I suggest you connect the modem to the PC directly then call Tech Support.
    Its an intermitent disconnection issue and they will see that on their screens.

Tech Support 1890 923 111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

HAL909 wrote:
    It was working fine for a few hours but then i noticed the DSL light was going off on my modem every few minutes, and then coming on again, so i am constantly losing connection.
    As suggested, try it again without the wireless in the links, see if it's stable without it.
    A mate is having the same problem. Does anyone know what the problem is? Configuratoin, hardware conflict etc?
    Does your friend have the same setup as you? Or does he just have the Computer connected to his modem then to the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 HAL909

Cheers for the reply.

I should of said the modem work sfine when connected direct to the PC, so i reckon IOL are just going to tell me that the wireless router is 3rd party hardware and they cant support me, but i'll give them a call if i cant get it sorted i guess.

zoro wrote:
    Does your friend have the same setup as you? Or does he just have the Computer connected to his modem then to the wall?

Im not sure how my mate has it set up, just that he has the same symptoms as me with the same modem (i think) but another wireless router...

Is your wireless router a modem aswell?
    Its an odd scenario. Does it help to turn off and on the modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Interesting problem - I wouldn't have thought that the wireless router would cause that kind of problem ...

In fact, I couldn't even guess as to a possible cause. The DSL modem itself is connected to the wireless router via Ethernet, and it shouldn't be experiencing any issues because of that. I myself have the modem connected to a wired network-switch, and dont have those problems at all.
    I wonder if it's a common problem with DSL or just specific to the default Xyzel modems?

Diabolus wrote:
    Is your wireless router a modem aswell?
    Its an odd scenario. Does it help to turn off and on the modem?

Yes, it does, but its not necessary. If the connection drops and i leave it for a few secs (it varies), the light will start flashing again and searching for a signal and find one and the light will stay constant for a period of time.

And this Never ever happens when the wireless is not part of the equation?
    Thats odd..

Nope! I called them and i am awaiting a callback from them now. Im not expecting to get much help from them to be honest.

They wont be able to help you there.
    If it works on the Zyxel thats all they support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement