Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eL fans: How are you coping with the close season?

• 14-12-2004 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Well the new season is still 3 whole months away. The weekend of March 20th cant really come quick enough.

To cope, I am trying to organise a football trip with a few of the lads. We may be going to Villa Vs Arsenal in a few weeks. Imagine that, actually going to a real life football game in the magical, mythical premiership!

I was to Ajax Vs Vitesse as well the other day. My GOD, the Amsterberg Arena is special.

Well, thats my story.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I've ended up watching sh!tloads of rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KevIRL wrote:
    I've ended up watching sh!tloads of rugby.
    Keep your weird shaped ball OUT of the soccer forum
    :D:D

I am coping by reading the forum on the Shelbourne website, and watching the premiership on Sky.

I quite enjoy watching the interactive and switching between the camera angles. They could switch a bit faster though.

I cannot wait for the start of the eL, and Shelbourne winning it by August :eek:

Hmm, I feel a bit like Alex Ferguson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Temporary social life on Friday nights, getting hammered on a regular basis, taking in the odd Chelsea game, saving for next year's away internationals, and partaking in the usual Bohs infighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

HAS THE RE BREEN ANY POINT IN THE LAST 6-7 YEARS WHEN bOHS ARE UP IN ARMS OVER SOMETHING. (stupid caps)

No disrespect Bateman, but I lost an awful lot of respect for Bohs this season, particularly after seeing the scenes after ye let a 2 goal lead slip against SPA in Dalyer.

Also, the way Dom Foley was treated on arrival by his own fans. He was being booed 10 mins into his debut.

The only thing which kept them slightly in my 'respect list' is the dropping of the Tolka 3 for the last game of the season. Oilly Byrnes commenst about ye that night were just uncalled for and pathetic.

gimmick wrote:
    The only thing which kept them slightly in my 'respect list' is the dropping of the Tolka 3 for the last game of the season.
    That's only because it gave the village people a better chance of winning the league. By dropping two of their best players it meant CVFC were effectively playing a weakened "Shels Feeder Club" side that night.

And they still couldn't take advantage
    :D

"Here we go, three in a row"

• Advertisement

^^^

Typical Shels response :rolleyes:

The Bohs players who played that night gave it their all, and showed Judas' like Crowe, Honker and Ryan that Bohs is a club worth playing for.

3 in a row, your having a laugh. Shels arogance about how the league is a mere formality, and their assumption that they will progress as well as they did the season gone by is laughable. Shels are effectively spending money they might earn.

Personally i cant see where their confidence is coming from. They scraped past the mighty Reykjavik, beat a disinterested Croat team, and were comfortably beaten by Depor poorest team in many years (though i doubt either English club in the qualifiers would have beaten them for that matter).

It'll take a month for the cracks to start showing, where 'star' players arenet playing regularly enough, and start to have hissy fits, and it'll all crumble down around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

how am i getting on?
    not well

gimmick wrote:
    Typical Shels response :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:
    gimmick wrote:
    The Bohs players who played that night gave it their all
    I never said they didn't. All I said was that SFCFC played a weakened team. Now, you cannot argue with that, they dropped the league's second highest placed striker, and Bobby Ryan is one of the best wingers in the eL.
    gimmick wrote:
    3 in a row, your having a laugh.
    No, I'm quite serious, I think the team Shels have put together for next season is better than the one we had last year. Feel free to argue with this, but I don't see how you can. Now, we were the best team in the league last season, we did, after all, win the league, so you can have no arguments there, so, improving on the best team will make us better.

Please tell me who CVFC have signed, then tell me you are a better side than Shels.

gimmick wrote:
    Personally i cant see where their confidence is coming from. They scraped past the mighty Reykjavik
    I'm going to quote you from this thread if you dont mind.
    gimmick wrote:
    Good result. KR arent all that bad a side.
    :confused:
    Make up your mind.

gimmick wrote:
    beat a disinterested Croat team
    Have an aul read of this report for disinterest.

And I want to ask you something about that too. When Shels came home from Croatia 3-2 down to the "disinterested croats" as you call them, did you think they would go through.

Hajduk Split went bankrupt earlier in the season because they were depending on money they would have made from another round of CL football. Disinterested my round hairy hole.
    gimmick wrote:
    and were comfortably beaten by Depor poorest team in many years
    In the end yes, the last half hour in the away game yes. But the game in Landsdowne was one of the best performances by an Irish side in Europe. Then for sixty minutes in Spain we held on to a nil nil scoreline. Is that not an achievement in itself. Jesus I left Landsdowne that night upset that we hadn't beaten them. Does it matter that they are the poorest team the club has had in years, fact remains that they play in La Liga and are currently 8th in that same league. Bit of a gap between 8th in La Liga and top of the eL I think you'll agree.
    gimmick wrote:
    It'll take a month for the cracks to start showing, where 'star' players arenet playing regularly enough, and start to have hissy fits, and it'll all crumble down around.
    Remains to be seen in my opinion. I'm sure Crowe, Ryan and Hawkins could have stayed at SFCFC, apparently Crowe was offered the same deal at both clubs, but the fact is that they chose to go to Shels. They know there will be competition for places. It is one of the reasons they came to Shels, to improve as players.

Ah, this is more like it :D

As for taking my old quote from the European time, let me try and explain:

I am an eL supporter, and hate the non-eL never tried it because ill be cold and wont have a pint, and wont know the players names, and i prefer barstool, type people. its when our teams are in Europe, I will play everything up, even for Shels (God I feel dirty seeing that I kind of congratulated Shels!).

Re the Depor situation. Grand, ye held them scoreless for 150 mins of football. However, i was always under the distinct impression, that Depor were only playing at 25% of capability, they played within themselves as they were never really threatened. Just my opinion.

As for Citys signing or lack thereof, well that doesnt worry me, yet. Looking at the City squad, it is very strong in most departments. The signing of Joe Gamble was very much low key, but once he got his rhythm in the first team, he was outstanding. Next season he will he in the eL team of the season, mark my words on that.

The only area City are lacking is centre half. Okay, we had 2nd best defensive record this season, but we need a good new option to put serious pressure on Dan Murray and Alan Bennett.

for strikers, we have an embarrssment of riches. John O Flynn, Kevin Doyle, George O Callaghan (if the needs be), Neal Fenn, and Steven O Flynn, plus a young fella Shane Long who is a massive prospect. of those strikers, Flynn, Doyle, and George are all better than Crowe.

No doubting Shels were best last season, and no doubting that the signature of Ryan is huge. Honker runs very hot and cold, and i have a feeling Crowe and Byrne will struggle to work together.

I think next season will be a two horse race, between City and Shels, but I honestly think that if City can start the new season like they finished the last, no one will stop them.

BTW, whats SFCFC? Let me guess Shels football club feeder club?

Bohs a big club?

gimmick wrote:
    I am an eL supporter, and hate the non-eL never tried it because ill be cold and wont have a pint, and wont know the players names, and i prefer barstool, type people.
    Don't we all.
    :rolleyes:
    gimmick wrote:
    its when our teams are in Europe, I will play everything up, even for Shels (God I feel dirty seeing that I kind of congratulated Shels!).
    Go on, admit it, you were secretly pleased we went on the run in Europe, impressed even. Damn, it meant the eL got some exposure to the people you refer to in the opening quote. Both our teams run of good results against European opposition did this. It shows that the Summer Football / Professionalism of teams is working. The league is making real progress, and I have to say, I will be expecting Shels to come out of the First Qualifying Round this time around. And I have to say, it will be some disappointment if your lot don't progress in the UEFA Cup.

gimmick wrote:
    Re the Depor situation. Grand, ye held them scoreless for 150 mins of football. However, i was always under the distinct impression, that Depor were only playing at 25% of capability, they played within themselves as they were never really threatened. Just my opinion.
    Well, I have to say, in the game in Landsdowne it certainly didn't seem like they weren't trying. You were right earlier when you said they are on the decline, that is obvious from the fact that they failed to score a single goal in this years CL Proper. But having said that, they are still the best team any Irish side faced in Europe in recent times, and Shels got a draw against them, when people on here were predicting three and four nil defeats in the first leg. I think we can call that a good result? Then over in Spain, although I never expected us to actually go through, we did give a decent account of ourselves.
    gimmick wrote:
    As for Citys signing or lack thereof, well that doesnt worry me, yet.
    But you are saying it might?
    gimmick wrote:
    Looking at the City squad, it is very strong in most departments. The signing of Joe Gamble was very much low key, but once he got his rhythm in the first team, he was outstanding. Next season he will he in the eL team of the season, mark my words on that.
    He is a decent player alright, you wont get any argument from me on that.
    gimmick wrote:
    The only area City are lacking is centre half. Okay, we had 2nd best defensive record this season, but we need a good new option to put serious pressure on Dan Murray and Alan Bennett.
    That is a position I feel Shels are quite strong. Jamie Harris, Kev Doherty(if he can stay away from the Doctor, jesus his nickname is "Doc", but I wish he wouldn't take it so literally, he spends more time in the hospital than a medical student.), Colin Hawkin and Davey Scouse will be vying for the two positions.

Where we lack is in Right Back. Yes we have the best Right Back in the league in Owen Heary, but we have no cover for him.
    gimmick wrote:
    for strikers, we have an embarrssment of riches. John O Flynn, Kevin Doyle, George O Callaghan (if the needs be), Neal Fenn, and Steven O Flynn, plus a young fella Shane Long who is a massive prospect. of those strikers, Flynn, Doyle, and George are all better than Crowe.
    Like Shels on that front. I don't think either team will struggle for goals this term.
    gimmick wrote:
    i have a feeling Crowe and Byrne will struggle to work together.
    Maybe, maybe not. If they play as two out and out strikers like they are, then they will struggle. But remember this. In the European Run TM Jayo was the provider rather than the target man in most of our better performances.
    gimmick wrote:
    I think next season will be a two horse race, between City and Shels, but I honestly think that if City can start the new season like they finished the last, no one will stop them.
    Them's fightin words!
    gimmick wrote:
    BTW, whats SFCFC? Let me guess Shels football club feeder club?
    Got it in one
    gimmick wrote:
    Bohs a big club?

gimmick I hope you are here for the whole season, I have enjoyed this little téte-a-téte.

A civilised discussion in the soccer forum :eek: Who'd a thunk it?

• Advertisement

Cant argue with any of the above really, but dont called me civilised please ;)

So, opening preds for the new season?

Ill go with

SPA to be challenging again for a Euro spot.

Drogs to win the cup, but fall off the league title chase like they did last season.

Shams to struggle again. Relegation is a very real possibility this time, and i wish Roddy all the worst.

Bray and UCD to go straight back down.

Galway to win automatic promotion, with Kildare going into the play off.

Shels to go out in the opening round.

City to get through one round.

Setanta cup to be a failure :mad:

Barstool brigade to poo poo the eL without ever knowing anything about it.

Predictions eh?

1. Shels
    2. CVFC
    3. Drogs

FAI Cup : Derry City
    League Cup : SFCFC

Relegated : UCD hopefully and Bray.

League Top Scorer : Jason Byrne

CVFC to make it through one round of the UEFA Cup, possibly two if they get a favourable draw.

Shels to go through the First Qualifying Round of the CL, beat some other disinterested team in the second, get Man Utd in the third, when 40,000 people will be in Landsdowne to see United, however, with Tim Howard in goal, Glen Crowe scores an unlikely hattrick, earning him hero status at Tolka park. However, United's David Bellion scores a last minute goal, and United end up with two away goals. The return leg sees Shels devastated by injuries following a weekend game with CVFC, which ended with Dolan crying because Shels scored two goals while his side were down to ten men temporarily. United start nervously, and Shels score first, an o.g by Gary Neville. However, Fergie brings out the big guns for the second half, and Ruud bags a brace, to put United through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

seansouth wrote:
    Shels to go through the First Qualifying Round of the CL, beat some other disinterested team in the second, get Man Utd in the third, when 40,000 people will be in Landsdowne to see United, however, with Tim Howard in goal, Glen Crowe scores an unlikely hattrick, earning him hero status at Tolka park. However, United's David Bellion scores a last minute goal, and United end up with two away goals. The return leg sees Shels devastated by injuries following a weekend game with CVFC, which ended with Dolan crying because Shels scored two goals while his side were down to ten men temporarily. United start nervously, and Shels score first, an o.g by Gary Neville. However, Fergie brings out the big guns for the second half, and Ruud bags a brace, to put United through.

SeanSouth, you have achieved legend status. Congratulations.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    SeanSouth, you have achieved legend status. Congratulations.
    :confused:
    Thanks, assuming you are being serious, I am taking that quote for my sig line

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Damn right I'm serious.

Reminded me of the old Roy-of-the-Rovers stuff. On an aside, do they still publish that?

Anyhoo, my prediction for the season is complete and utter domination for the mighty Shelbourne. Not too sure about Europe, it really does depend on too many factors (who we get, how we perform on the day etc...). Over the league season I cant really see anyone matching us, and I'm not just saying this as a confident Shels fan because my St. Pats-supporting brother and Waterford-loving dad agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Im keeping myself busy waiting on Shels stadium development, preperations transfers etc for the new season and the Sentanta cup.

I think Shels have enough quality to get to the third qualifying round of the Champions League. The odds of getting through to the group stages really depend on who they meet in the third round, it could be a club in decline. Deportivo was a prime example.

I reckon Shels will make the UEFA Cup in 2005 or 2006. They will win the Sentanta Cup and Eircom League :D

Cork MAY get past the first round of the UEFA Cup :D:D

Does the League Cup entitle the winner to a Uefa Cup spot?

^^^

No, but its worth €10k for the winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Im keeping myself busy waiting on Shels stadium development, preperations transfers etc for the new season and the Sentanta cup.
    Jaysus, your only supporting them a few weeks. :D I'm semi-supporting Pats the whole season but I'm hardly going through cold turkey now that the league's over. Hopefully I'll start taking more of an interest next season.

League ; Shelbourne
    2nd ; Bohs
    3rd ; Cork

Cup ; Pat's
    League Cup ; Longford

Shels will probably win the league again providing they don't get any unwelcome knocks on the door from the Revenue Commissioners. Glen Crowe is past his best, and Pinnichio and Shergar will probably be disruptive influences, rather than actually improving the team. Fenlon's fancy for signing players from his rivals, regardless of whether they will actually improve the team, might backfire, but Shels will probably win the league again. Cork will probably go furthest in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shels will win the league.
    Cork second.

Bray will survive! :)
    Rovers and UCD to go down. But Belfield to provide me with plent of easy access EL action this coming season! w00t! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Cup ; Pat's

Pats to win the cup that wuold be an achevment givin our massive cup jinks
    we havent won the cup since 61

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

1. Shels
    2. Cork
    3. Drogs
    4. The big feeder club

Cork to win the cup, facing Longford in the final and denying them three cups in a row (Not for the first time :( ). Drogheda to take home to the league cup but to be pretty much out of the title race when it starts getting serious. Harps to suprise next season thanks to the goals of McHugh.

Shels to take home the Setanta cup and use the 120,000 euro to pick up whichever few Bohs players we feel like this time around. ;)

In europe, if Longford get the finger out and get a decent draw, like one of the British sides, they'll progress a round. Cork to make the first round of the UEFA cup proper but fall short of the groups depending on the draw, Bohs to keep up the tradition of Irish teams doing well in the inter toto and as for Shels, I have it all worked out ;)

TNS in the first round, beat them easily. Draw runners up from Norway in the next round, draw in a high scoring away match and finish the business at home, draw plucky Everton then who managed to finish fourth, play the home leg in Lansedown Road where Glen Crowe nicks a one nil win. Go to Goodison and Everton score twice and start piling forward, then in the last minute Jason Byrne knocks in a free kick and we go through. Shels may or may not go on to win the competition outright from there ;) In all seriousness though it depends on the luck of the draw. We should get through the first round, looking at the unseeded teams, from there it depends on the draw. The difference between the top and bottom sides in the second round draw is huge, if we draw one of the bottom sides we can definitely progress, we showed that this season.

As for Byrne and Crowe, well it depends really. I think next season we'll see Jayo play more like his cousin Robbie Keane and play deeper with Crowe being the out and out goal scorer, which means I think Crowe will be top scorer. Jayo has played right wing and in mid field before so he should adjust to this easy enough and his all round play, espically passing and crossing, is woefully under rated. Look at his cross v Lille for Fitzpatricks goal on his weaker foot, if he has to focus on that side of his game more next year and if that partnership works then it's surley one of the most lethal partnerships in EL history. Looking at our players at the moment I haven't a clue who will start next season, espically in mid field, but it'll be exciting to watch anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Predictions: me to start supporting an EL team , that team to be Bray Wanderers , me and my brother going to a few Bray games over the season .
    Well this is what im hoping for , as I started watching quite a bit of Eircom League last year and found it very enjoyable .(I had started watching the league at 7 years old but RTE put an end to me following it regurlary )

Pats to win the cup that wuold be an achevment givin our massive cup jinks
    we havent won the cup since 61

Yeah I'm aware of that. I don't think McDonnell is a great manager or anything, but I feel he could instill an "us against the rest" sentiment among what is bound to be a team full of nobodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Will Pats hang onto Fahey I wonder? They're going to struggle very very badly if he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

watching EL and la liga and serie A , its all too good players with control and skill. Fans look warm too its all wrong.

Predictions

Shels to struggle 1st few games, Bohs pats and rovers to also struggle and 1st 3 months of season sees outside dublin teams in the top 3. Summer transfers to win the league for whoever gets the"player"
    Pats look likley to hang onto most of the 1st team as Smart Telecom gave them money (horrible logo )

But this is EL could be bankrupt by start of season.

kdjac

Exactly, it's the eL. More than one club could be bankrupt by the start of the season!

Advertisement