Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTV's Jackass Inspires Morons

Options
  • 28-08-2001 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

I'd have to disagree; the boy should pay for his stupidity and go around looking like an invelide for the rest of his life, not get rich off it.

what a stupid sh!thead...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

I have to say, the latest jackass episodes seem to be devoid of onlookers, its as if they rented and closed off the streets before they did it, maybe trying to avoid legal issues or something.

Incidentially anyone see brad pitt in the planet of the apes suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The fact is, Americans are more concerned with making money than caring for their kids.

I bet the first thing the parents thought of when they saw their kid of fire was: "Who can we sue for this?"

I think they'd be better off locking up the parents for gross negligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I would have to agree with pie here. Proper parenting and supervision and filtering of television programmes aswell as supervision of the child would have avoided this incident. AFAIK 'Jackass' is on late at night, past the watershed and issues a warning before the show.

I too like pie think that the first thing the parents thought was 'who can we sue'

-Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

By now everyone's seen Jackass. It's about a group of skaters that hit each other with things and perform insane stunts. Sometimes they're lame like when Steve-O stapled his ass cheeks together, and sometimes they're way kickass like when the midget paddled a raft made out of fat dude or every time Johnny Knoxville pretends to kill a baby in front of strangers.

The one thing all the stunts have in common, though; is that they're surrounded by hundreds of disclaimers telling children at home not to copy them. And recently, since they figured out that the stupid can't read, a voice has come on to read it out loud to them. The little danger skull was added because it's the universal symbol for pirates and ghosts.

The disclaimer hasn't worked. Probably because they claim the people on the show are professionals, and as stupid as people that watch MTV are, they at least know that there's no such thing as someone who's a professional at getting hit in the face with a fish. So for about three months, the show has been getting in trouble for other people being idiots. No one listens to hypocrites, and when people riding toilets into traffic are giving you safety advice, you're going to tell them to fcuk off at best. Of course, if you watch someone ride a toilet into traffic, and then you consider copying it, your mind is a malleable lump of fcuking play-dough, and you'll believe anything your dumb4$$ is able to read. Hell, you're probably a scientologist. Anyway, here is an example of the television-inspired crazies:

January, The Flaming Idiot.

In one episode of Jackass, Johnny Knoxville put on a flame-retardant suit, lit himself on fire, and used himself to cook some meat. A 13 year old boy named Jason Lind saw it and recreated it. Guess what crucial part he forgot to include? That's right, the flame-retardant suit. He just covered himself in gasoline and meat and lit a match.

This case got a massive amount of press coverage, and now his parents have a lawsuit against the show. Most people are like me and are siding with the parents. We all think MTV owes money to every couple that gives birth to an idiot. A huge settlement will send a clear message to families that if you drink enough during pregnancy and then give your children matches, you might be eligible for free bags of money.

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PiE:
    The fact is, Americans are more concerned with making money than caring for their kids.

</font>

While the fact remains that those people who DO try to copy what they've seen on the show regardless of the large number of warnings about it are utter morons, - the above sentence from PiE is simply nothing more than a gross over-generalisation.

MOST AMERICANS WOULD NOT BE MORE CONCERNED WITH MAKING MONEY THAN CARING FOR THEIR KIDS.

A lot of stupid ones are, however.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 29-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kopf:
    I'd have to disagree; the boy should pay for his stupidity and go around looking like an invelide for the rest of his life, not get rich off it.

</font>

when you have children, id like to see your reaction to seeing your son lite himself up like a bonfire.
    after you have dowsed the flames (you would pu him out wouldnt you?) would you then give him a tick around the ear and tell him to not watch any more stupid programs?
    someday you find that kids do stuff.
    to have written something as blatently ridiculous as you have....

well, to quote yourself

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    the above sentence from PiE is simply nothing more than a gross over-generalisation.</font>

Eh. Sue me.

smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭linkin

MTV jackass like totally rocks

I'm stilled ****ed of about the marilyn manson gig been canceled frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

All I can say is...TAKE IT LINKIN! ROFL tongue.gif

\m/

"Ca bhfuil an buama?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

The blame shouldn't be concentrated on one party! mtv, The stupid kid and his parents are to blame! Mtv for letting things like that to be seen by such impresonable children, The kid for even thinking of doing it ffs! and the parents for letting their kid watch jackass and preform this "stunt"!!!
    -Vol

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Nobody should be blamed except the idiots who copy jackass.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by linkin:
    MTV jackass like totally rocks
    </font>

Your not fcuking american,

show is pretty funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

after you have dowsed the flames (you would pu him out wouldnt you?) would you then give him a tick around the ear and tell him to not watch any more stupid programs?

I personally would sit the 13 year old down after his recovery and say "Did you not know that fire hurts?"

and then I'd have a phsyciatrist examine the crazy kid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">when you have children, id like to see your reaction to seeing your son lite himself up like a bonfire.</font>
    If I ever have a son that's dumb enough to cover himself in gasoline and set himself on fire, I'd p1ss on his bones. How the fukk are we supposed to evolve with idiots like this holding us back?

[This message has been edited by ObeyGiant (edited 03-09-2001).]

Evolve ? Well right now it's not really a "survival of the fittest" environment we live in therefore we're not gonna evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Evolve ? Well right now it's not really a "survival of the fittest" environment we live in therefore we're not gonna evolve.</font>
    With sentences like these, it's a wonder you even have opposable thumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

in a lot of cases i dont think its the parents going ballistic looking for claims, a lot of laywers drool over cases like this cos they know they can get a large payout plus even the possiblity of setting a precedent means their name goes down in the law books.

dont stereotype all americans into one category.

oh and im not a racist i hate everyone equally (equal oppertunity hater)

Meh.

It's still a damn funny show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I aggree with Pie, americans sue people for even lookingat them, I read it in the paper fs, lthough I think the show should pay the kids hospital bill, and bad parenting is involed, like Jackass is on at 1:30 am, what was a 13 year old doing up that time, (I know some do stay up all night, ie. richindub, but he has better things to do such as spam boards.ie etc.) But hey, there kids, they're fasinated by these things, no wonder he tried it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

yeah it was the kids own idiocy,and i hope he gets nominated for the honourary darwin awards...better luck DYING next time kid

but (not all...im sure) americans need guidelines,e.g.:

a woman noticed that her new kitten was wet,so,to dry it off,she put it in the microwave.SHE PUT IT IN THE BLOODY MICROWAVE.
    that cat exploded,naturally,so she sued the microwave makers.
    and won.
    so now when you get a microwave,check it has the disclaimer *not suitable for drying animals/small children in*.if it doesnt,and you need some pocket money,i've got 27...nmo wait...26 kittens for sale....

really,america...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Although Jackass is quite funny sometines its just too stupid! and anyone who copies that is even stupider and when or if they recover somone should find out why he/she did it and how hard she/he should be hit to stop he/she doin it again!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

"Mtv (should be blamed) for letting things like that to be seen by such impresonable children2 - what a ****ing stupid statement - its on after the watershed and has warnings that its unsuitable for kids so waht more can they do ? Not show it? Well why shouldn't grow people be allowed see it ? Its up to the parents to stop the kid watching it.

Advertisement