Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would the Garda Armed Response Unit be up for this?

Options
  • 14-12-2004 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4088497.stm
    Armed police shoot errant sheep

If the thing was disposed of "in a nearby field", could they not have caught it???

Although, having considerable experience of sheep wrangling, I can see how they might have gotten tired of it outsmarting them. :D
    Perhaps they were concerned that the footage the news cameras would have got of a load of constables in hi-vis jackets and motorway patrol Range Rovers chasing a sheep around the fields would have become essential viewing on 'funny video' television shows for years to come? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Very similar stuff has happened here in the past. During the foot & mouth crisis I witnessed the shooting of several cattle and sheep by Gardai after attempts to load them into a trailer to be slaughtered failed due to the wildness of the animals involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Speaking from a pro view of things.Wouldn't surprise me in either cases.just amazed that no motorists,passerbys a few miles away,aircraft or anything else wasn't shot as well.Horrifying to think that the second dumbest animal on a farm can outsmart the supposedly smartest animal on the planet that they can only deal with it by deadly force.Enough said :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Did they sell the carcass to the local kebab shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

civdef wrote:
    Very similar stuff has happened here in the past. During the foot & mouth crisis I witnessed the shooting of several cattle and sheep by Gardai after attempts to load them into a trailer to be slaughtered failed due to the wildness of the animals involved.
    Oh, I don't doubt it for a moment, and I have no qualms about such things being necessary from time to time.
    Things like disease control (F&M, etc), livestock causing a danger to traffic, wild/dangerous animals in populated places, etc, spring to mind as possible scenarios where the rapid despatch of the animal is the best option. I’m sure there are many more.

I would hope, though, that (time and urgency permitting, of course) it would be done by someone who knows what they are doing, with suitable equipment.
    Ideally, Larry the Lamb in the above story SHOULD have been popped by an experienced hunter with a deer/varmint rifle using proper hunting ammunition. One properly placed shot, and “lights out.” NOT sprayed with 9mm ball from an UZI until ‘the threat has been neutralised!’
    I have no idea of the exact circumstances of Larry’s demise; the above is just my opinion of how it should ideally be handled, if he MUST be shot.
    He was, after all, ‘in a nearby field’, which would seem to indicate that he was off the road at the time, so I wonder how much of a danger to traffic he actually was?
    A half dozen other sheep, a shepherd, and a dog who knows what he’s doing would have been the best way to secure a happy outcome for all involved (especially Larry!), I reckon :)

However, if Timmy the Tiger made a break for freedom from the zoo/circus, and was prowling around the local primary school, I wouldn’t be overly concerned if it took a mag or two of 9mm, and perhaps a few .38s thrown in for good measure to accomplish the desired result. :D

the second dumbest animal on a farm
    I hesitate to ask, but........................................... what's the first???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Horrifying to think that the second dumbest animal on a farm can outsmart the supposedly smartest animal on the planet that they can only deal with it by deadly force.
    Humans are intelligent, people are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Traumadoc wrote:
    Flippin' heck!
    Why couldn't someone have introduced something big and useless here???
    Grey squirrels hardly rate as big game when compared to sheep (Hawaii) or camels (Australia), do they?
    We DO have feral goats, but they're a very localised problem, and I doubt we'll ever see Coillte issuing a request for everyone with a deer rifle to turn out.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Rovi wrote:
    I hesitate to ask, but........................................... what's the first???

The three dumbest farm animals
    No 3 COWS

No 2 SHEEP

No1 Domestic Turkeys [not those ones in the Dail :D ]

Rovi wrote:
    No1 Domestic Turkeys [not those ones in the Dail :D ]
    Ah, that's okay then, I was preparing to be offended if you'd said "the farmer" :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement