Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really slow web browsing

• 14-12-2004 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

I got my computer a month ago and I have a broadband connection with Eircom. Anytime I open up my web browser ( Internet explorer and Mozilla ) it takes ages to load alot of pages. I mean about a minute to load pages like hotmail.com. Any idea why ?

I use the broadband modem with my laptop and its ok the browsing is perfect. by the way on my main computer all other programs are fine and run really fast, like gnutella and bearshare.

Any help appreciated lads thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Let me guess... Bearshare and Gnutella are always running at the same time you are trying to access a page?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Let me guess... Bearshare and Gnutella are always running at the same time you are trying to access a page?

no theyre closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Well then just check the usual, Antivirus (make sure it’s up to date.) Spyware / Adware.

In your network connections check to see how much data is been sent compared to that been received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

I thought it might be antivirus so I disabled all that along with windows security center. It made no difference. Anyone have any other ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

There are virii that do this under Windows with IE. The virus scanner might not pick them up and you have to use cwshredder and other utilities to get rid of them. You can see them running as processes in the task manager. They run as threads alongside the browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Matfinn wrote:
    I thought it might be antivirus so I disabled all that along with windows security center. It made no difference. Anyone have any other ideas ?

I wasnt suggesting that you Disable your Av. I was suggesting that you update it and scan your system.

download Stinger and hijackthis.

Was more data been sent than recived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭smorton

using torrentstorm for my downloads made the connection slow even after i closed it. i had to close the internet connection and open it again for it to get back to full speed. that cud be your prob

Advertisement