Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STUPID Heatsink!

Options
  • 14-12-2004 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey. im really pissed off!
    :mad:
    I bought a new case and a new heatsink
    the new case is cool.
    the heatsink though,wont make contact to the CPU because the cradle is a tincy bit too high and every time i turn it on with the new heatsink it just switches off after a few secs.
    using my old heatsink my CPU had a temp of like 43 degrees celcius when i wasnt doin anything,so thats when i decided to buy a new one.
    is that temp normal? right now-its 42 deg's with the old heatsink and i only have media player,mozilla firefox and msn messenger open.

Any Suggestions???????????? Please help!

Thanks!
    :confused:;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Are we mind readers? What processor is it? Either way 43c idle is pretty low for either amd or intel chips.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Have a look at this and this and you might find giving this a try first can have wonderful results.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Have a look at this and this and you might find giving this a try first can have wonderful results.

LOL :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

its a p4 2.8ghz 533 fsb with is on a dell mobo :D he is after getting a metal work teacher to trim the bracket to fit the new heatsink so il keep you updated i know you would say get a new mobo but it costs!!!

Why didnt ya use the dell heatsink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

43 degrees is fine for that then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

hmm looks like a new mobo as we now dell have crap mobos for modding :rolleyes: i have one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hells-minion

he i got it to work!
    i already had silver thermal paste.i did a little bit of messing around with the screws from underneath :D
    it works now and its average temperature is 30-32 degrees celcius(alot better)

i installed the cathodes too b-man just incase you were wonderin-
    it looks sweet now!

thanks for your suggestions ppl! :confused:

The load temperature is more important to note than the idle or average temp. Test using prime95 for about 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Dempsey wrote:
    The load temperature is more important to note than the idle or average temp. Test using prime95 for about 2 hours
    i'd go for 2x seti@home threads for a full load stress test. with a hypertheading cpu, anyways. non-HT ones only need 1x seti@home to keep it running at 100% all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

i don't know much ! is this cool ?
    amd 64 3000 2.0@2.3 vcore 1.625v(increased from 1.50v) normal temp 33'c and prince of persia warrior within for 3 hours 60'c, half life 2, 3 hours 50'c .
    how is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i don't know much ! is this cool ?
    amd 64 3000 2.0@2.3 vcore 1.625v(increased from 1.50v) normal temp 33'c and prince of persia warrior within for 3 hours 60'c, half life 2, 3 hours 50'c .
    how is that?
    sounds good to me. if HL2 won't make your pc fall over then nothing will! i know it's designed to run on lower spec machines too, but trust me whatever you have it will use 100% if your cooling was inadequite then you'd know about it by now. nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

vibe666 wrote:
    sounds good to me. if HL2 won't make your pc fall over then nothing will! i know it's designed to run on lower spec machines too, but trust me whatever you have it will use 100% if your cooling was inadequite then you'd know about it by now. nice one!
    wooohooo!!! :D now there is a good replay!!

Advertisement