Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ccfl problem

Options
  • 15-12-2004 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

got two mini cold cathodes for a new machine im building, and they work fine but if the lights are off while the system is running, and then i turn them on, it causes the machine to reboot, but when the lights are on and i boot the system there are no problems.
    presumably the extra draw of power causes a surge.this is likely due to the fact that im using a dc-dc 55w power supply, and with a higher capacity power supply this would not happen, i was thinking of just connecting up a large capacitor to the ccfl's to prevent the power drop, would this work?
    or has anyone got any other ideas?
    unfortunately a different psu is not an option.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

i reckon your gona have to buy a new power supply! how many hard drives, cd drives, what graphics card have you etc got connected to the power supply? your probably using too much wattage when you turn on the two mini cold cathodes!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

I don't like to scare folks usually but I have an important note to add to this...

First time I used a cold cathode (Sharkoon brand from guess where) and I used the power pass-through from the inverter switch cable to power my CD drives... It blew the I/O chip on the drive. :( It wasn't a one-off fault coz I tested it on an old 8x CDROM drive and it blew that too. After a bit of wrangling the shop agreed to replace my drives. :)

I think this might have been down to a design flaw in both the inverter unit *and* my PSU at the time (a 300W "comes with case" thing that seemed to be a brand called "Advance").

Now I have two Sharkoon UV tubes in this system (must post a pic in the case mods thread soon :P), running off a single inverter. I only use the power line that feeds this unit to pass power to case fans as well... And isn't the V8000A well endowed in that respect! :p

My budget 500W lump just about manages this system. Hence the desire for a something like this: http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W0023.htm

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

While I'm at it...

FYI: If you're buying Sharkoon tubes from "a shop" and you're not sure what type the ones with a little silver sticker (for colour/fabre) are... Neither are the shop assistants... They're UV tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

im using a via epia v10000 mini-itx board with a laptop hdd and a standard (5.25") dvd-rom drive, just onboard graphics.
    tried connecting just the hdd as im gonna be using a laptop dvd for the long run and even then its still the same problem, tried connecting the pass through in different places and still no difference, seems the psu is just no able to handle the load. unfortunately changing the psu is not an option right now due to the expense of higher rated dc-dc small form factor psu's. might try connecting a capacitor and see if that helps.

thanks

Advertisement