Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations Tom and the ladies of Aces

Options
  • 15-12-2004 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

A great turn out and a professionally managed tourney. Wish I could have stayed around a little longer but can't win 'em all! Give me a shout if you need a car in the next week.
    I never knew Marq had such uncontrollable elbows as a player....Who would have guessed?
    I look forward to getting my spot prize as promised! A baseball cap will do nicely thank you!
    Cheers and well done again,
    Mr. Des Farrell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

It was a great tournament, fantastic structure and so on; well done. I went all in blind utg on my last hand, called in two places and I flip over Aks. I dont think anyone believed that I hadnt taken a peek!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Throughly enjoyed the tournament. Some great play and good company. Did my pride a bit of good by finishing in the points if nowhere near the money. From the looks of things as I was leaving SA/Boards didn't a chance of winning the team event, not helped by mass defections. You fúcking ****.

Once, just once did I try a bit of cheekiness all night and ended up blowing half my stack on what I thought at the time was a fantastic bluff. How could he call me with that? etc. etc.

Shipped the rest to Marq who I hope made good use of them.

Mrs. Pudding looked great. Though she could do with a shave. That's the last time I donate good money to the cause of mentally scarring myself.

I think there was a good bit of money raised. Big pats on the back to Dev for a great idea, the fitz for hosting and everyone who showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

fantastic tourney. fair play to tom et al for raising nearly a grand for charity. unfortunately rossa's chips only went as far as eighth place, when i lost the only hand i had been all-in with all night, the rather inglorious Q-J against a pair of sixes and a pair of nines..

Still, won my last-longest, got fifty quid back for finshing on the final table and am now due a box of smokes from DeV because the Fitz won the team event.

Sweet.

I never knew Marq had such uncontrollable elbows as a player....Who would have guessed?

I have absolutely no idea what this means

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Ah sure it's all aout the kids. // well thats what im using as my excuse for a dismal display

750 for puds in drag
    pudsindrag.jpg

Plus all the funds raised on the night.

Thanks for all for showing up on the night, hope fun was had by one and all, as tiny tim would say...

Ger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Of course not allowing for a statistical wieghting of those who played for SA against those who declared for the Fitz means that a rematch is in order!

Well done lads, the most enjoyable tournie I have played in. Great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

So who won? I was the fellow with the tiny stack who went out in 10th - my QKs lost to A8s. My first real-life poker experience! Luckily I used my free chip given as I filled out my application form to make a respectable €25 on the blackjack tables during the first break, so the night wasn't so bad from a financial standpoint.
    While I was on table 1, the old guy with the massive stack moved over to table 2 - when I next turned around, he was out. What happened?
    Congrats on organising a great event for such a worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

yeah a great if short night...with Joe O'Neill on my right and Paddy Hicks on my left it was only a matter of time before I ran into one of them, and unfortunately it happened soon after the break

Still really enjoyed it, and fair play for organising.

Manged to redeem myself slightly online once I got home, covered the cost of the night and a little extra so it's not all bad.

How many entrants where there in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

In the end Joe O'Neill and Danielle did a deal for 1st & 2nd. I came in 4th. Limped in from the small blind with J 2 offsuit, a monster if ever there was one. Both Joe & Danielle see the flop too. Flop comes A A 2. Well fu*k it i think, my hands not going to be improving and neither of them are limping with an ace. I go all-in. Joe calls and flips over a king high flush draw. The turn brings a Jack leaving me with a higher two pair but the river gave Joe a heart and out i went.

Great tournament, well enjoyed it and fair play to Tom for sticking around all night to help with the organisation after I busted most of his stack :)

Ionapaul i've an apology to make to you - After you went all-in I blurted this out to the other table not realising that there was a player there considering an all-in too so sorry about that. Though in the end he called anyway and doubled through.

Also the old guy with the big stack was Paddy Hicks. After he came over to table 2 I busted most of his stack when he made an ill advised semi-bluff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Great Touranment! +well organised Devore and all the Boards/Suited Aces Guys . Mrs Pudding looked stunning and Pam wants his wig back! :D

A pair of Angels shot down by Three Kings(with Kalhesnikovs)! it must be Christmas!!!!! LOL :D ........eh Amp? :D:p Hope u monstered the final table with my chips. :)

plus first game played upstairs in the Fitz which they've done an excellent job on too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ElaineMc

Enjoyed my first ever dealing experience last nite...apologies if I made any mistakes. Thanks to Marq, Tom and anyone else who helped me along the way

I'm back in on Friday if anyone wants a laugh!! :D (ie BigDragon)

So, do the same 5-6 people end up on the final table on a regular basis? While I was on table 1 near the end they all seemed to know one another. The fellow on my immediate right while on table 4 and then on table 1 (seat 1-8 I suppose, for the final table too?) was an interesting character, lots of opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

hi all

well done guys for organising one hell of a tournie. Easily the best I played to date and had a lot of fun. Great to see a grand being raised for SSF too.

Think there was a about 14/15 left when i got knocked out. The best two hands i got all night were my last two. My AA were busted by Denise's(? blond lady, good player) JJ in a 30K heads up pot. Very next hand I find JJ, how ironic:P

Well done and fair play to all involved

Can't wait till the next one!

My AA were busted by Denise's(? blond lady, good player) JJ

Ooops thats right her name was Denise not Danielle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Great night. Managed a respectful 7th. Sorry to be the one to send you packing in 10th IonaPaul but thems the breaks etc. Even managed to pass my exam this morning without getting much study done. Ah sure the poker is far more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ElaineMc

Managed to keep out of the way of you last night musician, apart from the close encounter on the stairs

Congrats on 7th and exam!! (Yes I am trying to get on your good side)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thanks. I particularly enjoyed bluffing Ken off a pot with 92o hitting nothing on the board against his pair of 5s. Most enjoyable. Gotta love the tight image. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

gerire wrote:
    pudsindrag.jpg

Ger
    Who says hot birds don't play poker!

MrP

*lol* git! I think you should be very grateful to me Musician. I pretty much single-handedly kept you in the tournament. I doubled you through what twice? plus leaked chips like those to you.

Though I have to say I was very proud of a couple of steals myself. I managed to take take 10k off Joe who folded a good hand to my complete bluff when we were short-handed at the final table.

In fairness it's a bit easier to bluff when you are low stacked and desperate. Something I am quite an expert at, being low stacked and desperate that is.

• Advertisement

Probably the most unexpected adjustment for me, going from online to real-life, was trying to get my head about the chip / stack amounts. I am so used to PartyPoker and 1000-chip starting stacks, that once we got to the 150 / 300 level the chips required to call (whether BB or BB x 2 or 3) intimidated me a little. Kept on trying to remind myself to divide by 4 (to reconsile it in my mind with my usual play), but to no avail. As a result I probably played way too tight and definitely paid for it towards the end.

musician wrote:
    In fairness it's a bit easier to bluff when you are low stacked and desperate. Something I am quite an expert at, being low stacked and desperate that is.

Next suited aces tournament Im bringing a card with me that says "Dont Bluff these guys have no fold button".

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow, thanks to everyone who came out and supported the game.

It was a *WHOLE* lot of fun and I have to say thats about as tough a field as I've ever seen in the Fitz!

My own personal tournie wasnt great unfortunately but I made a few really nice calls that I was happy with but literally 2 hours of sitting looking at T4 made me go a bit nuts and a slap with the Stupid Stick saw me donate a fairly comfortable stack to my Last-Longest rival Ken. (FFS!).

The "Tiltsville" SNG afterwards was a bit of a laugh with all the usuals just blowing off steam hahaha...

The team game was closer then it seemed with SA/Boards getting 4 players on the final table of 9 when we started about 2:1 behind in numbers, but ultimately we couldnt out score them and things like me knocking out Ger didnt help (soz Ger!)

In total (once I collect the Mrs Pudding fund) we raised about 1900 or so cash for SSF.

So I got to the final two tables and blew out. The final table was exciting with great great poker being played and I could see in a lot of peoples eyes that they REALLY wanted to win and I dont think it was all for the money... there was a lot of kudos up for grabs too!

Joe and Denise dominated the tournie from start to finish (despite being on the same table for a good while) and both played great poker. At one stage on the final table they both footsie about preflopp until Denise sticks it to Joe. Joe has a good long think about it and then says "ok lets go" and turns over KK's. Denise also turns over kings!! the flop gave Denise a runner runner flush draw (and Joe a case of the nerves!) but they split the pot and soon after, the cash prize!

After all that I was still peeved about my play and my cards so what did I do? Sick-boy that I am I went to the Hold Em Only cash table with 150 quid (of my own money I hasten to add!!) and paid good euros to see T4o for about another 2 hours. I was up and down a little but never more then 25 either side of 150 and its 3:30 am at this point. I've worked it up to a *monster* 200 euro and I'm thinking about quitting for the night but I'm in the BB and I look down and see two black bullets... "well, helloooooo" I think to myself. Now this is Pot Limit so its tricky enough to get paid decently with the aces without hitting another one. You really want someone before you to... "raise!" ... :) ... and if you are really lucky someone else will "[/i]reraise![/i]" and "call!".
    I couldnt be happier, John-the-taxi-man looks at me and I'm trying not to grin! I bet 110 euro (the pot) and get two callers... hmmmmmm.... flop comes J-high rags and rainbow so I ram-jam the rest in and still get two callers! Nothing comes for either and hey presto, insta-tank[tm]. Biteme is sitting opposite me with a look that says "why doesnt that ever happen to me!" (despite the fact that he left up too!).

So I guess its Karma... that or feckin' patience!

Finally, I'd like to say a couple of thank you's!
    Many thanks first of all to everyone who came out. It made the difference between 1900 euros and a class tournie like last night, and me sitting there playing Solotaire with myself (and probably STILL losing). Thanks to Luke Ivory and the Fitz for just being brilliant about the whole thing. They gave us loads of space, time, dealers, and even topped up the prize pool to 1000 despite forgoing the reg fee for the tournie already. Fair dues guys, its much appreciated.
    Thanks to Suited Aces for backing the whole thing and sponsoring the cups etc and Miss Pudding for having the balls (or not!) to pull off a stunt like that. Knowing Chris there was never any doubt in my mind that he was "mad for it!".
    If I've forgotten anyone (I hope not but you know me!), well thanks too!

DeV.

Ionapaul, that was you that passed king 2 suited for all your chips. you mad bastard.

Marq wrote:
    Ionapaul, that was you that passed king 2 suited for all your chips. you mad bastard.

wow bad fold

Hey, was getting extremely desperate at that stage! I knew I would be 10th...

Advertisement