Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best DVD's.

• 15-12-2004 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

I just finished watching my favourite DVD, Cabin Fever. I bought it last St. Patrick's Day by accident thinking it was a completely different film. I found the movie funny and scary and the extras were completely classic. In fact it was the extras that made the movie. Without them this would be to me just another slasher pic. but through the extensive commentaries (which are absolutely hilarious) and the featurettes the movie's explained and becomes really impressive when you understand where the makers were coming from. This DVD really taught me a lot about making a film.

So anyway, I thought how this DVD, while not my favourite film, is by far my favourite DVD. We have a Best Film thread but not a best DVD thread (and they are different). Example: The Goodfellas DVD (the release I have) is rubbish.

So what is/are your favourite DVD('s) and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm... The LOTR extened edition DVDs are pretty damned comprehensive, so probably those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Almost famous special editions- 2 versions of the movie, commentary with cameron crowe and his mother, deleted scenes each over 10 minutes long. Rolling stone articals written by cameron crowe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The 'Freaks N Geeks' DVD - all 18 episodes, 29 audio commentaries, over a 100 deleted scenes, out-takes, behind the scenes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

well the lotr dvd of return of the king is truly amazing

but id have too put in the big trouble in little china 2 dvd set its dts and 5.1 and too many features too mention

ohh and did i say its a cult classic also

i think its deleted now but a great fun film

you said the release of goodfellas you have is awefull

its a flip sided release
    very early dvd release

i had this also
    i binned it i got the 2 dvd set of www.cdwow.ie exelent
    some times you may be better off getting the aniversery releases
    check out for example top gun
    for such a ground breaking movie for wide screen angles and anamorphic etc. and even the sound of them jets etc.
    it got a ****te release
    only now it gets a 2 dvd set ..check out the extras on google amazing.
    so thats a 2nd dvd i gotta bin..
    letsa start up a thread of dvd releases that got poor features also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭weerez

LOTR extended editions are the best in my opinion

Special mention goes to Arrested Development season 1 for value(got it for 25 euro + there's 22 episodes) plus the deleted scenes are great (unlike on most dvds)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Spaced DVDs are very good... with huge amount of out-takes and deleted scenes. And the comentaries are funny too.

Shaun of the Dead is great too... with it's Zombie commentary...

The worst I have is Mulholland Drive... it didn't even have scene selection for chirsts sake! How on Earth do they expect me to skip to the lesbian scenes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The DVD of The Thing is great. Its got all the usual documentaries and storyboards etc. but the real star is the commentary with John Carpenter and Kurt Russel. It can be very informative regarding the methods behind some of the films extravagent scenes and also hilarious as they take the piss out of some of the lines of the films. It's definitely worth having a look at if you're a fan of horror/sci-fi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

The worst I have is Mulholland Drive... it didn't even have scene selection for chirsts sake! How on Earth do they expect me to skip to the lesbian scenes?

Exactly, took me nearly half an hour (on PS2) to FF to the good bits. :D

Think LOTR are the best I've got anyway. :)

Excellent idea folks to have a Special Edition features thread, its nice to know if theyre any good. :)

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/frighteners-ld/

i want to see this on dvd
    a have the laserdisc but its getting old and they suffer from a thing called LASER ROT. FROM DAMP PLACES ETC

but read the above defo one for the dvd release for 2005 i think
    the john carpenter dvds ie.. escape from new york are really good also

before any of you guys invest in any dvds it may be of interest to you to compare them here
    http://www.dvdcompare.net/features/process.php
    but some times the say aniversary editions and 2 or 3 disc box sets are the 2nd or 3rd release of the film on dvd.
    so who can tell what version is best.
    for example pulp fiction got a plain jane 1st release for such a huge cult movie ..but i got the dvd sp edition in usa ...just this year very happy with it.
    anyways id really love too hear more from laserdisc and dvd fans in dublin
    mabye we can hook up and get a club going
    but thats another thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/browse.asp tbh.....

if a film is listed there, thats the best version available of that film
    all criterion discs are superb!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

back to the future dvd's [the region1 versions] are pretty comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

fear and loathing ohh yeah too say the least
    a whopper release on criterion label.

white cartoon cover

does anyone have it . amazing extras..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

The Evil Dead Trilogy is also great. Bruce Campbell's documentary on fandom is classic. :D

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5502

wasnt there a release of the evil dead the looked like the book made of flesh?
    or did i dream that ?

Yeah, I've seen that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

mobile04 wrote:
    fear and loathing ohh yeah too say the least
    a whopper release on criterion label.

white cartoon cover

does anyone have it . amazing extras..
    I have it.
    Most of the extras are so-so, but the commentary by Hunter S. Thompson is the piece of resistance. Easily as entertaining as the movie itself.

The Criterion version of Brazil is also amazing.

If I was only starting out again, I'd go straight for the Shaun of the Dead DVD, as someone already mentioned, as well as the Goonies (cheap and worth it for the commentary alone) and American Werewolf in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

This is Spinal Tap, the in-character commentary is brillant.

The first Donnie Darko release, with all the Deleted Scenes.

Fight Club, with the Ed Norton, plus special guests David Fincher,Brad Pitt and Whatshername Commentary.

28 Dys Later and the cool Storyboard alternate version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The commentry on seven is really good. Also as mentioned 'The Thing'. The extras on the indianna jones boxset are amazing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Buck Owens wrote:
    The first Donnie Darko release, with all the Deleted Scenes.
    I believe you're speaking of the UK Metrodome release. It's brilliant. You get the Cunning Visions infomercial (the full thing), multiple excellent commentaries (funny and interesting) and 2 great Easter Eggs. 1 of which
    shows how Donnie died. He was impaled on a wooden beam that fell on him. You see him with his eyes open, still alive and barely moving. It was cut because Richard Kelly (the director) thought it was too violent an image and didn't sit well in the film. I spose he's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I got the first Donnie Darko Region 1 release (almost a year before i seen any DVD of it over here!)

Full of all the things you mentioned: deleted scenes, audio commentaries etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah same as Basquille, and that spoiler wasn't an easter egg on it just
    a regular deleted scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Surprised nobody has mentioned the SE of Spinal Tap. Numerous outtakes, music vids, commercials and piece de resistance, commentary from Chris, Michael and Harry in character. Superb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Although the films were pretty bad, the DVDs of Starwars Episodes 1 and 2 have some great extras including hidded outtakes which are hilarious.

Someone did mention spinal tap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say the LOTR extended edition dvds are my favourites. Tonnes of extras. The Alien Quadrilogy had some great extras especially the Alien 3 stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The extras and deleted scenes from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are as good as any I've seen. Some truly hilarious moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Blisterman wrote:
    Someone did mention spinal tap.
    Well, it wasn't there when I looked. They must have gone back in time and put it in before my post. :rolleyes:

Sorry!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The extras and deleted scenes from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are as good as any I've seen. Some truly hilarious moments.

Have to agree. All the Will Farrell extras were hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

LOTR dvds definitely

All the Red Dwarf DVDs
    Shaun of the Dead (the little comic strips are pure genius)
    Pulp Fiction
    Superman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Oh and Evil Dead trilogy deserves a serious mention aswell....

Just for Bruce Campbell's solo-commentary on Evil Dead alone :D

Also the Invader Zim dvds have some really good commentaries

Advertisement