Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway...I hope

• 15-12-2004 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I"m just getting all my stuff together to move to Galway (ideally). I was wondering what accommodation rates are like in the city and just outside. What types of accommodation is generally available. How about the cost of living? Is the transportation in and out of the city (excluding to Dublin..I know that is generally fine) generally good...easy to get around?...I'm looking to live just out of the city and work in the city, or work just out of the city and in...depending on cost, job availability, ease of transportation etc....any help/info/ideas you have would be great...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

Galway is a great place to live and work. As regards getting around, it depends on where you choose to live that will determine your access to public transport. Youre probably better off living in a suburb like Knocknacarra where there are hundreds of houses up for rent, and you can generally haggle with the landlords over the price of rent because there are so many around the area. Oh, and go privately(stay away from agencies!!)

Knocknacarra is also served by two bus services. Bus Eireann and City Direct which will bring you in to town every 20 minutes or so depending in the time of day. There is also a large supermarket area/dry cleaners/movie rental etc..

Other areas to look out for would be Newcastle, Renmore, Doughishka, Salthill(v close to town!), but you will be expecting to pay on average about E65/70 a week for your own room. You may get it cheaper if you look hard enough! I was paying 90 in Salthill for a class apt last year, but even then, I haggled with the landlady!

The place to look for accommodation is the Galway Advertiser Classifieds which is printed fresh every wednesday ,and is available online @ www.galwayadvertsier.ie from 3pm every weds also.

You might get more info from www.galway.net and www.galwayindependent.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bcKay

Brilliant...thanks so much. I'm going to be teaching...to do sustitute work in the area with transit I assume will be awkward (a different school every day). Next question is...does each school hire independently? or is there a school board that hires for the region? Are postings only found in papers? or through a central site? Do I have to belong to a union before I apply? or can I apply independently of the unions?
    :) thanks again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

Not sure about the teaching thing.. you'd have to ask someone on a different forum about that one. I dont think it involves unions or anything like that. Maybe you could register with a teaching supply agency(if they exist!) they do in the UK, but thats a whole other story.

If youre going to a different school every day and youre relying on public transport, you'll be getting up very early to make sure you get there on time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Primary or Secondary level?

My mother's a primary school teacher, I'll ask her.

But in general, in Primary schools it's the school principal who picks the substitutes. Dunno what it'd be like in your situation.

Private tutition schools would be different again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I hope you like rain.

The city is too small to make any distinctions - either live way out on a good bus route (N17) and enjoy working in the city but benefit from cheap rent and country living or rent in the city centre and save on transport costs. I lived on Mainguard St for a year and loved it but it can be a bit in-your-face after a while, especially summer but its massive fun. And you spend all your money on beer....

Bring a waterproof hat...

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I hope you like rain.
    Bring a waterproof hat...
    In fact thats what I'm missing over here in Dublin. I'd say on average Galway rains 50 times more than Dublin, I'm not messing.

On topic, if its secondary school teaching, u'll prob have to queue up like the rest of them. I'd say they are crying out for primary school teachers.

Big Secondary schools in Galway
    St Mary's College, Boys' school
    Bish // St. Josephs, Boys' school
    St Enda's (Mixed)
    The Jesuit College ("The Jes")
    Presentation College
    The Mercy
    Salerno
    Taylor's Hill

.... what am I at, sure its prob a Primary school ur after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bcKay

Secondary school...Physics, Math and general science. I'm waiting for my qualifications to be recognised...Physics is already a go...waiting on math. Once I have the thumbs up I'm ready to go! Ideally, of course, I'd like to gain full time or permanent employment.

As for getting up early...that's not a problem. I do sub work here..and with a car I often have to leave the house by 6am to get to work for an 8:30 start...so as long as the transit is running I'm fine. (Imagine Dublin traffic across two massive bridges....)

Rain? I'm from Vancouver, Canada. Same climate as Ireland for the most part. This past week it rained twice...once for 3 days the second for 4 (groan)...seriously...I haven't had a rain free day since mid Oct. I've always joked the last *cough* years, I've been in training for this move

Thanks all for the help...you've been great. If you think of any other good tips and/or info I'd love to hear more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

{snip}

back on topic though ...

all depending on what you're after...
    http://www.winterspm.com/
    don't bother with emailing them or using their webpage for anything other than looking ... I've emailed / used the contact thing and it doesn't work .. just ring them and set up appointments ... some nice properties .. and prices are dropping...

classified adverts on there on wednesday ..
    http://www.galwayadvertiser.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Inter-schools ball-fondling comments removed.

Post rubbish like that again and I'll ban the offenders for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Actually, I think secondary schools are in need of new teachers also....my own school has been overrun with H dips and substitute teachers but there don't seem to be any actual new additions...

Fobia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cienfuegos

Hi everybody! I´m moving to Gallway too.
    I´m from Spain and I´m thinking to leave my job and look for a job in Gallway.
    I´m a computer engineering, do you think i colud find a job in Gallay?
    Although my english is not bad, I´m thinking to do an english course in Gallway so that I can improve my english unless for my first month
    It is said that there are many computers company settled in Ireland and in Gallway.
    What can you suggest me? Is it easy to get a job in computering in Gallway?
    This is a huge step in my life. It´s the first time I left my house and my island!!!
    I live in Canary Islands.

Thanks in advance!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

bcKay wrote:
    Once I have the thumbs up I'm ready to go! Ideally, of course, I'd like to gain full time or permanent employment.

If you looking for full time employment (temporary wholetime status) in a secondary school you'll need a Diploma in Higher Education (HDipEd), in order to teach. If you just want to do sub work for a few months, ring up the schools' principals and let them know you are available. With all the schools in Galway, you should get a call soon enough.

Advertisement