Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwelcome Eircom Options

Options
  • 15-12-2004 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have two phone lines, one is ISDN which I use for almost all outgoing calls.
    Where I live there is no GSM coverage, so I have another analogue line
    which I use almost exclusively for diverting mobile phones to - it also has
    an answering service, and we use it as our 'home' number.

Yet again I've received a bill for this line which explains
    "Unfortunately, you have not made the required minimum spend of €12.70 for eircom options.
    The balance of the minimum spend has been applied to your bill"

When I ordered the line, I knew it would be mostly for incoming calls,
    so I specifically stated I wanted no 'options'.
    The last time they robbed me in this way I rang them, and restated that I
    did not require Eircom Options, and could they confirm that I was no longer
    marked down as an Options 'customer'.

The odd call does of course get made on this line - 29 calls in the last 2 months -
    but nowhere near being worth having an options package.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm sure when I ring back today, there
    will be no record of my last calls, as if there was: this wouldn't have happened!

I think my best bet is to move the line to another provider, and look at some
    real options. Didn't really suit me though for an incoming only line.

NiallB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I was persuaded to try options and I did and I ended up not meeting the spend required. They did remove it immediately when I rang them up - as k them to confirm it in writing to you or just don't pay the balance but tell them that you are doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Niallb,

Could you sign the analogue line up for eircom's "widely" publicised Vulnerable Users Scheme if your spend is so little?

Viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

He can as long as he cancels the Talktime option simultaneously. Viking is spot on here.

Go to

http://www.eircom.ie/

enter Vulnerable in the search options top right. You will get a smattering of data on the VUS. The key bit is that it is aimed at those who spend LESS than €10 a month or €5 a month .....consistently. Thats about 30% of the population I hear.
    eircom vulnerable user scheme

FAQs

Do you spend €10 (inc. VAT) or less on calls each month?
    If the answer is yes, then the eircom vulnerable user scheme is for you.

Know how much you're spending: you get a bundled package that combines your line rental and €5.00 worth of calls. This costs €23.65 (inc. VAT) per month.
    Free itemised bill: all free calls will appear as zero.
    Local, national, mobile and international calls are all eligible with this scheme.

Once you have used your €5 call allowance, the next 6.01 (inc. VAT) worth of calls is charged at double the standard rates. All remaining calls are charged at standard rates.

Customers with calls up to the threshold value may incur a small penalty (max 50c inc. VAT).

Order
    For more information or to order, call 1901 and press option 1.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

eircom options

eircom options is a personalised savings plan tailored to the way you use your phone.
    There are three different levels of savings.
    We will ensure that you are always on the level that maximises your savings.

eircom vulnerable user scheme saves you money if you make €10 worth of calls or less a month. You can buy a bundled package combining line rental and €5.00 worth of calls for €23.65 (inc. VAT) per month.

That vulnerable user scheme might just work out, but I think I might see what's happened.
    This is a bi-monthly bill, and the last time I rang to confirm I'd no option was 4 months ago.

The bit stating they will ensure you're on the best saving plan says that they will automatically put you on bronze, silver or gold if you spend €12.80, €25.60, or €51.21
    in a month.

3 months ago a storm left me without my ISDN line for a couple of days,
    and I obviously used the analogue line as a backup.
    I suspect now that this may have reactivated my no-options status.

Thanks for getting me thinking guys, I'll call them shortly and see where I get!

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Missed your post Muck, but the word "consistently" is a big part of their billing.

At the very least signing up to the "Vulnerable User Scheme"
    might keep me off the Options package if nothing else.
    My bill is of course right on the threshold, but 50¢ is a smaller penalty than €15

NiallB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

is to change to another provider like UTV or Esat

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

No Mr Man. The VUS also gets him a discount on his line rental. He pays €23.65 INCLUDING €5 of calls on the VUS. It is a low usage line.

Ordinary mortals pay €24.20 line rental a month just for the poxy line with no calls included....... the highest in the world as always. They would be advised to go with another carrier for their calls if the call volume was over €5 or so every month.

Personally I use the VUS and Tele2 but YOU CANNOT be in the VUS with an ISDN line .

M

Advertisement