Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]Shoot 'em up games 'increase violence in society'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

jonnybadd wrote:
    Very steriotypical media report, nothing new brought to the table, could be any negitive report that ive read in the last 2 years, also mentions that Doom was used as a game to train the US army to kill. Is this a fact?

No.

It was a version of the Operation Flashpoint engine by Bohemia Studios used to train them in movement, coordination, communication etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

SyxPak wrote:
    No.

It was a version of the Operation Flashpoint engine by Bohemia Studios used to train them in movement, coordination, communication etc.
    Close enough :rolleyes:

I heard Timothy McVeigh used to play a lot of Bomberman on his Snes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Syth wrote:
    I agree with her completly. Violent video games cause kids to become violent. I know most shops won't sell 18s games to kids, but kids are playing it, they are finding a way. So we should ban them. Clearly the current situation doesn't work.

I also think alchol should be be banned. 13 year olds should not be getting drunk. I know most offliceces won't sell alcolhol to kids, but kids are getting drunk, they are finding a way. So we should ban alcohol. Clearly the current situation doesn't work.

I've thought this over and, I'm very, very concerned for the children. And there are some more threats to them:

I also sex should be be banned. 13 year olds should not be having sex. I know most adults won't have sex with children, but some do, they are finding a way. So we should ban sex. Clearly the current situation doesn't work.

I also knives should be be banned. 13 year olds should not be stabbing each other. I know most knives aren't used for stabbing, but some are, So we should ban knives. Clearly the current situation doesn't work.

Won't someone please this o the children?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Syth wrote:
    I also sex should be be banned. 13 year olds should not be having sex. I know most adults won't have sex with children, but some do, they are finding a way. So we should ban sex. Clearly the current situation doesn't work.

I also knives should be be banned. 13 year olds should not be stabbing each other. I know most knives aren't used for stabbing, but some are, So we should ban knives. Clearly the current situation doesn't work.

I think people are murdering the english language too and we should ban all writing :D I'm deffinately thising the children every chance I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

klap trap wrote:
    blah

Don't feed the troll, people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭irldavem

Its all the PARENTS fault ;)

These violent games are rated 18 for a reason.

If PARENTS looked at what they were buying their children, and made a responsible decision, the children would never get a chance to see whats in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Gamers should probably set up some sort of lobby group to have these ratings used as more than an advisory system.

Lobby the govt. / TDs to make it a prosecutable offence to sell games to underaged people.

Also this would provide a place for media to consult when these stories arise, one that can give fairly level headed arguments from the gaming side.

(I'd do it but I gots stuff to do)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

In a non-games related article, today in the Irish Times our beloved Marie Murray wrote about “our national psyche” (sic) and letting go of past oppression…

“perhaps it is time to let go of past oppressive narrates", perhaps this is how she can justify her disposition to one new medium with out sound bases, as historically others lashed out at the written word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Syth wrote:
    I've thought this over and, I'm very, very concerned for the children. And there are some more threats to them:

Obviously you need to get out of your FANTASY WORLD and start living in the real world. That stuff happens it's inevitable. When you find a way to stop it all let us know. OK? Until then you're just going to have to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You know what sarcasm is, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Illuvatar wrote:
    Obviously you need to get out of your FANTASY WORLD and start living in the real world. That stuff happens it's inevitable. When you find a way to stop it all let us know. OK? Until then you're just going to have to live with it.

Welcome to the internet. Prepare to be confused a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

the columbine massacre happened because they were nutters next thing we will hear the brian murphy death happened because that scum who got away with it played super mario jumping on koopas heads, horrible things happen all the time horrible things happened before television, movies, radio and consoles society is the problem making lame excuses doesnt solve anything

Advertisement