Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anelka to Pool this January?

• 15-12-2004 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Steven Gerrard was talking up the moody Frenchman earlier this week and he seems determined to leave Maine Rd and with City needing a cash injection he could be landed for about 8 million. Is he worth the trouble? I'm not sure, his goal scoring is pretty good 14-25-6(so far) since joining but would Baros/Anelka attack be the "blind leading the blind"? But he would be free for the CL and as a lone striker playing off Gerrard he could be very effective.

Dunno!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I thought he did very well in his few loan months but then again he was playing for a contract.
    I think Benitez will have a few others up his sleeve and will stay away from Anelka. He'll know him from his days at Real Madrid I expect and can't see him being too interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Not many other Strikers that are good will be available in Jan and also be free to play in CL....>I think thou he will end up at Barca!! they have been saying for months they are interested in tkaing him back to Spain!!! wonder how much City will get for him seeing as they are still paying PSG part of his transfer fee!! 14million wasnt it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Ability he has,mentality im not so sure!I dont think he "cares" enough about any of the clubs he plays for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    Steven Gerrard was talking up the moody Frenchman earlier this week ............................

Mike.

Liverpool is really turning into a one man club he's even choosing who they buy now. ;)

I don't think they will buy him , I heard Phil Tompson talk about him recently and he had nothing good to say. I don't think the board would sanction a move for him after his antics the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The Muppet wrote:
    after his antics the last time.
    Can you be more specific?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Liverpool have been a one-man club for a while now.
    I also heard Thompson (on Sky on Saturday?) and he was talking about how Anelka can be a bad influence on a club from top to bottom. However, he would probably have a bit more humility about him when at Liverpool than he has had at City. The other possibilities being touted; Tristan, Deportivo (washed up); Morientes, Madrid; (is thought to favour Monaco), and David Villa (washed up); would all represent lesser value for money IMO. I'm not a Liverpool fan, but if I were, I'd agree with Gerrard's sentiments on this one. If someone is good enough, they can be handled. Maybe Anelka upsets so many applecarts because some of the stuff he comes out with is a little too close to the bone; we all know the truth hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Tristan could be a good option either to buy or loan. He wouldn't be able to play in europe though. I don't know why barcelona would buy anelka when they have saviola on loan at monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

p.pete wrote:
    Can you be more specific?

Certainly can. Thompson alledged that while the liverpool Board was negotiating a contract with Mr Anelka he was negotiating to sign for another club. Hardly the actions of a committed player.

Hmmm, for better or for worse Herr Thompson is no longer a part of the club. A player like Anelka there is always going to be questions about commitment - mainly can you squeeze 2 years of good service out of him before he gets restless again.

The players Rafa has brought in so far are all reputed to have a good temperment so it'd be interesting to see if he's interested in Anelka. So far it's Gerrard and Thompson who have talked about him while Benitez himself said the won't speculate on players he wants because this causes the price to go up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just realised I wrote Maine rd... :o

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

David Villa washed up? he's what 23/24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I have heard that the transfer is a dead cert and that he is in the bag. Did you not see Rafa on Skysports when asked the question..he just smiled :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

“If a bid comes in for Nicolas then, after speaking to the board, I will speak to Kevin Keegan," stated chairman John Wardle. "I wouldn't expect a manager to say 'yes' to that but, if there was a bid of substance worth taking, then I would talk to the board and I would put the reasons why to Kevin.

"We still owe some money for Nicolas, so it would have to be well above that figure, obviously. There's no bid on the table at present. Naturally [I was disappointed to read Anelka's comments], although I have to temper it a little because I've spoken to Nicolas and he has apologised.

“He has nothing against this football club at all; we all get along fine with Nicolas. Nicolas spoke to a French newspaper, excerpts of that were taken by the media here, that was published and it read slightly different to how Nicolas had put it out."

They owe PSG around £5m BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I seriously doubt Benetiz would sign him. Temprament aside he is just the type of forward liverpool dont need. In Baros and Cisse they have two very similar players. Both quick, good technique and very direct. Not to mention selfish, and lazy at times. I shudder at the thought of the three of them playing in the same team. Benetiz knows this and I reckon will go for a more powerful targetman type, who can hold the ball up and bring all the midfielders into play (particularly if he persists with the 5 in midfield).

Gerrards quotes were taken slightly out of context, Im almost certain he said he remembered the game against Everton last year when Anelka came off the bench and turned things around in that particular game after being fed the Anelka line by a hack.

Besides whoever Gerrard wants to play with would probably have very little on who actually comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Benitez fancies David Villa though, he tried to buy him when he was at Valencia but was knocked back. That Villa lad is hardly washed up either, he's 22 and has scored 6 goals from 12 in La Liga this season, not a bad tally consdering Zaragoza are a medicore team.

I'm afraid for Liverpool though that Anelka seems the more likely target at this stage. Rumours are going about that he could go for as little as £5 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Yeah but Cisse is out for God know's how long...we don't even know if he will ever def come back the same player or not. I think Baros/Anelka could work well, there both different types of players, Baros likes the ball to feet with his back to goal then likes to turn and go on those mazy run's that he often goes on. Anelka likes to use his pace with the ball over the top running on to it. To very different types of players, I think they could work really well together.

I think Baros/Anelka could work well, there both different types of players, Baros likes the ball to feet with his back to goal then likes to turn and go on those mazy run's that he often goes on. Anelka likes to use his pace with the ball over the top running on to it. To very different types of players, I think they could work really well together.
    TBH I think they are both similar. They either like to run at players, or take it over the top. Both like to get it and go straight to goal. Neither look to create for others, or even pass. I cant understand how it could work well.

I really dont think Anelka will come to Anfield. I really think it will be Morientes or someone else of similar stature, and probably Spanish. As regards the CL, I dont think Benetiz will be too worried if the player will be cup-tied, as Im sure he is realistic to know that Liverpool would have to be very lucky to progress beyond the quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I change my mind about Anelka all the time, sometimes I think we should take him because he was very effective for us when we had him, then again hes a personal disaster because of his brothers trying to get more and more money for him all the time so why risk it !!!
    I heard yer man Villa isn't really up to scratch. Tristan on the other hand is hardly washed up, his temperment is questionable as well and thats why he doesn't get a look in at Depo. He is a lethal striker on his day and we might get him on the cheap.
    Morientes doesn't want to play for the 'pool, he wants to go back to Monaco and live the high life. Hes a great striker and we need someone who can head a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

It seems like morientes might go to liverpool.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4100677.stm

I think he'd be a better buy than the tempermental anelka.

I reckon Sean Dundee is worth another chance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If Monaco come in for Morientes I'd reckon he'l go there.

Monaco going in for Morientes depends solely on Saviola being called back to Barca. I dont think Barca will call him back, there has been no soundings to indicate it, and also Saviola would be cuptied for the CL. Im sure Barca have aspirations to win the CL and would rather sign someone who can help them achieve that as opposed to someone who can cover the main strikers for league games only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

/me prays for Fernando over moody Anelka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Am I right in thinkin that Morientes is cuptied for the Champ league?

I thought he played in the very first game against Bayer Leverkusen. :confused:

yom 1 wrote:
    Am I right in thinkin that Morientes is cuptied for the Champ league?

I thought he played in the very first game against Bayer Leverkusen. :confused:
    Yeah, he played in a few. I'd say Madrid's signing of Owen and the success he's been thus far will knock a couple of million off the cost of Morientes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I never really heard of Morientes until last season with Monaco, so I'd rather see Anelka moving to Anfield as he's playing regularly and he's a proven premiership goal scorer but Morientes would have to adjust to not only a new club but adapt to the English game plus he should have been part of the Owen deal in the first place.

Just my 2cents

I never really heard of Morientes until last season with Monaco
    :eek: I think thats just down to watching very little continental football. He has 23 goals in 36 caps for Spain too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think thats just down to watching very little continental football. He has 23 goals in 36 caps for Spain too.

That is pretty impressive.

I knew about him but not exactly a great deal tbh, but I still reckon Rafa should have pushed for him as part of the Owen deal. Was it not partly to do with Morientes being cup tied so he opted for Nunez? But now he is probably going to have spend around the same figure on him that we got for Owen, and he is still cup tied. I also read a few articles in which Morientes publicly stated he'd rather play for Monaco as they are a bigger club than Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

bazH wrote:
    David Villa washed up? he's what 23/24

Just saw that. The "washed-up" line, as used, was about Tristan. I was going to say something like "unproven" about Villa, which I'd stand by. If LFC hope to seriously progress in Europe (and I think the draw has been kind to them, regardless of the false modesty of LFC fans), they'll go for Anelka (as Morientes will be cup-tied). If they are looking to top 4 qualification in the league as the zenith of the season, they'll go for Morientes, who now seems to be touting the Liverpool move in the absence of interest from Monaco.

I knew about him but not exactly a great deal tbh, but I still reckon Rafa should have pushed for him as part of the Owen deal. Was it not partly to do with Morientes being cup tied so he opted for Nunez? But now he is probably going to have spend around the same figure on him that we got for Owen, and he is still cup tied. I also read a few articles in which Morientes publicly stated he'd rather play for Monaco as they are a bigger club than Liverpool.
    Camacho didnt want Morientes to leave so he wasnt on the table when they were thrashing out the Owen deal. Remon stated this week that Morientes plans, so now he is free to leave.

I think they will go for Morientes because despite the fact he is cuptied he is what Rafa wants and is a better player than Anelka overall. I dont think the fact that he is cuptied will make a difference because Benetiz is realistic enough to know that they would need a huge amount of luck anyway to progress beyond the quarters of the CL, if they even get that far! Building a team to win the league is his main priority and I dont think he will sacrifice a potential vital cog in his team (Morientes) for the unrealistic chance of winning the CL.

I still dont understand why so many people think Anelka is going to Liverpool. They have two strikers of similar stature in Cisse and Baros, he is exactly the type of striker they DONT need.

I dont know where all this Anelka talk is coming from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Advertisement