Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mc Donalds Bashing

• 15-12-2004 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Reading the Mc Donalds threads both here and in food/drink I was just wondering,why the hell is Mc Donalds bashing the favourite pastime of opinionated internet snobs?
    Right fair is fair to the thread on AH. McDs probably is sh1te to work in. Infact its almost definite. Im not going on about this specifically,complain all you like as working there really does appear to be some greasy sweaty work(as shown by the way half the workforce seems to have bad acne)

But whats with the bashing of its food? You get virtually none of this in the real world. Bar vegetarians and the parents of one or two people I know,I cant think of anyone who doesnt like something of the McDonalds menu. Fair enough,theres loads I know(mainly older)who wouldnt eat there more than twice a year,but there are few out there with this mad thing about the food being rubbery or whatever. Face it-a Big Mac is a pretty tasty burger, The chips are generally decent considering they are mass produced so to speak. The Filet Fish are great. As are the quarter pounders. The rest of the burgers I generally dont eat,but if your taste is for them then they are good. The only rubber to be found in McDonalds is in their chicken,I dunno how anyone can eat that sh1te its so bloody flat tasting. But apart from the chicken,whos with me on admitting on the internet(the bolthole of the anti McDs freaks,they dont seem to have much ground in the real world)that for the price McDonalds is pretty safe,tasty food?

And I am sick to death of nobs saying things like "Mc Donalds? How can you go near it? Read Fast Food Nation". Yes,because as Milhouse once wisely told us "If its in a book its gotta be true!". I couldnt care less what FFN or Supersize Me show. I eat there most days(Id be in BK or McDs once a day,depending on my taste that day). I could be healthier in terms of strength and ability to run distance,but I am 10 stone,not a bleedin fat ass. I could be used as evidence in those court cases in the USA that eating in McDs daily does little to your weight

And besides,I can honestly say Ive eaten more off tasting meals in "good" restaurents/hotels than McDonalds. Your more likely in my experience to get overcooked,hard steaks down the local "good" place than McDonalds. We all know of people who have moaned because the turkey in the good joint was undercooked,but face it,how many times have you got undercooked fod in McDonalds? How many people do you know got food poisioning there? McDonalds is one of the better chain restaurents-the less said about Pizza Hut the better

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pancakeman

Wat the hell are u on about? cud have made that post much smaller and we don't care if u like it. your gonna die before us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i dont like there food

the sauce on the big mac is nice tho
    had a quarter pounder meal last week, first time in ages, watched that super size film and thought it was crap,all it made me do was want a burger ;)

anyway had it for dinner and no side effects :rolleyes: burger just tastes bland without the the big mac sauce

for 7 euro or whatever it cost you could get much nicer quarter pounder and chips from a chipper and still have change

so to summarise
    i dont eat in them places cos theyre not as nice as real chippers and you pay more fpor the provelege , meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I didnt read all of your post because it was too much effort but i just seen the bit where you say ya dont get anyone who doesnt like something off the mcdonalds menu, I can honeslty say I like nothing from McDonalds bar the coke or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OK the food is good in my opionion and also what you're saying about people comparing it to "Supersize" me is true - the movie is abt somebody who ate huge amounts of junk food so it doesn't really compare to eating it every now and again or even every day I suppose!
    BUT what you're saying about you eating there every day and being perfectly healthy/slim - your cholesterol could be through the roof for all you know. Just cos its not making YOU fat doesn't mean it's not doing you any damage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You like McDonalds, other people don't like McDonalds.
    You like some stuff, other people don't like the same stuff.

Now that that has been established, congratulations on another post on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I only started the other McDonalds thread to see what it was like to have worked there more recently than the early 90's thats all. The food is not been brought into question. I made a lot of friends from working there and thank God I worked there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Mcdonalds doesn't just make you fat. You get a huge amount of sugar and salt if you eat there. You'll also miss out on a lot of vitamins. Its not a good idea to eat there too much. To say fast food nation has no effect on you is a bit crazy. It definitely had an effect on me. So did super size me but not on my own eating habits, more so the people who eat it everyday. That said I do have a burger king or a mcdonalds every now and again. Its not that great really, its just very quick and easy. I think thats why most people eat there. Its cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Good for you.

I haven't been there in ~6 years, and don't have any plans to this side of 98.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think I'm pushing a year or so since my last visit..

no plans to go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

Mc Donalds food is nothing but plastic. It clogs up your arteries.
    Full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I don't think it's *all* plastic. You need to look inside the packaging...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The McD bashing in the media lately has been pretty annoying. Sure it's unhealthy but nobody forces it down your throat. Sure they have ads but that doesn't mean you have to bring your kids there. McDonalds don't claim it's good food you should eat every day, even he head of McDs in Ireland was on the last word a while back and he said he wouldn't bring his kids in there more than once every few weeks. If you over eat anything it's going to pretty unhealthy, I bet eating nothing but bread for a month would be at least as bad as nothing but McDonalds, and nobody thinks we should ban bread. Fair play to McDonalds I say, they provide a service and charge for it, it's not their fault if people over use it.

"sorry, no big macs for you, you've had enough for one night"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The last few times I went there (years ago), I threw up afterwards. Stomachs can't be snobby, can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

People hate McDonalds, for exactly the same reasons people hate Coca Cola, and Microsoft. It's mainly because that these are global brands who dominate their markets. (and let's face it many global companies haven't been hugely ethical in dominating those markets).

And, it seems that anti globalisation is pretty trendy at the moment.

(but wait to see the flocks of people going to Starbucks when they start shooting up all over the place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

actually for what you get, i think mcdonalds et al are a total rip-off
    you can get a nice sandwich/roll and juice for cheaper, tastier and healthier too.
    the soft drinks in these places nearly always make me want to puke, they're so carbonated its disgusting. the only stuff i pick up in mcdonalds nowadays are the strawberry shake and caramel sundaes....but thats still very rarely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They've some nice things like the Chicken Flatbread (not sure if you can get it in the MacDonalds in Cork), and the Chicken Premiere (mmm, that bread is nice). But like posters said here, they're still extremely deficient nutritionally speaking. Was stuck in London for a weekend once and I only had access to that food (everything else was too expensive for me), I even went without the chips and the coke (just had the sandwich from the "healthy" menu and water) and I still felt like crap with loads of little yellow spots after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Any chance you would be into doing the super size me experiment too then?

Cactus Col wrote:
    People hate McDonalds, for exactly the same reasons people hate Coca Cola, and Microsoft. It's mainly because that these are global brands who dominate their markets. (and let's face it many global companies haven't been hugely ethical in dominating those markets).

(but wait to see the flocks of people going to Starbucks when they start shooting up all over the place)

Horse ****, people dislike it because it is extremely unhealthy and crap, plus they destroy the forests for their beef farms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

stevenmu wrote:
    The McD bashing in the media lately has been pretty annoying. Sure it's unhealthy but nobody forces it down your throat
    what happens when you bring your kids in and give them a choice between fries & a salad. What do you think their gonna pick?!
    the healthy option was a good idea but it needs to be thought out more...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tha Gopher wrote:
    But whats with the bashing of its food?

well there in lies the rub
    it's not food
    not by my defination anyway....

• Advertisement

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Horse ****, people dislike it because it is extremely unhealthy and crap

so is the food served in every chipper throughout the land, just so happens that mcdonalds are best at selling it.

why not complain about them?

(least mcdonalds aren't selling the whurley burger meal yet!)

Cactus Col wrote:
    so is the food served in every chipper throughout the land, just so happens that mcdonalds are best at selling it.

why not complain about them?

(least mcdonalds aren't selling the whurley burger meal yet!)

cos the survey asked about mcdonalds...doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Tha Gopher wrote:
    The only rubber to be found in McDonalds is in their chicken,I dunno how anyone can eat that sh1te its so bloody flat tasting. But apart from the chicken,whos with me on admitting on the internet(the bolthole of the anti McDs freaks,they dont seem to have much ground in the real world)that for the price McDonalds is pretty safe,tasty food?

arent you doing the exact same thing you're complaining about? nobody bash the food at mcdonalds. its not rubbary its lovely. well except the chicken, thats rubbary. LEAVE THE CHICKEN ALONE, ITS LOVELY RIGHT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i really like some of the mcdonalds menu. id prefer a local chippy burger and chips, but mcdonalds is quick, and im a lazy man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah and at least mcdonalds have better hygeine than most chippers.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    cos the survey asked about mcdonalds...doh!

there was a survey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

If you think McDonalds is bad for you, go to my chipper, grease, grease and more grease, the brown paper bag is soaking with it, I like Mcdonalds food I don't go every week but its not the worst, and its far less fatening than a lot of chippers around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

TIPPTOP wrote:
    If you think McDonalds is bad for you, go to my chipper, grease, grease and more grease, the brown paper bag is soaking with it, I like Mcdonalds food I don't go every week but its not the worst, and its far less fatening than a lot of chippers around the country.

McDonalds is ubiquitous so everyone knows how awful it is. Other chippers are only known in their local area so you're not going to get millions of people whinging about the on the internet - simple as that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

if you worked in a ff place, or hotel or restaurant you wouldn't be so quick to eat the food there........clean and healthy my ass. Wait till word of a health visit comes and watch how quickly they all have to change.

anyways, i'll eat some mcDs if im stuck- but generaly speaking all that kind of food makes me spew. If ya eat it enough you won't. I challange any of the "i always/regularily eat McDs" to quit for 3 months, then try it........

It is fatty, bad for you, over salted as it has no taste, they use very little chicken/beef/fish etc- they only have to comply to minimum standards remember- why would they spend more then they have to?

It can make you fat and sick- but its your own fault for eating it. Things like ffn just told us the facts- so its not like someone with a grudge made it all up. You can take it or leave it. Personnaly I think its gross- but it lures you at 3am.

• Advertisement

- but its your own fault for eating it.

you're right there, I reckon that's a big part of the problem. Nobody wants to admit to it being their fault.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoy a quarter pounder and chips in there now and then, although I generally find the coke too syrupy to enjoy. The McChicken Premiere is pretty decent too.

I'm in agreement that the bashing on some corporations is tiresome (and I've seen the likes of 'Super Size Me' and 'The Corporation'). McDonalds is fine for what it is - fairly cheap hot food (on the Euro saver menu) that does the job after a few pints often. I'm not expecting something nutrional and thus, as a rule of thumb, only end up there after a night out (it's no substitute for a proper meal). Still don't dislike the place.

And while I'm here I like some Microsoft products and love Coca Cola. *nervously awaits to be smote by some uber-lefty nerd*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Beruthiel-how exactly is it not food? Is the lettuce in your Big Mac actually soaked grass slightly depleted of chlorophyll? Is the beef actually made of the foot scrapings of Brazillian asylum patients? Is the bread actually scalp scrapings compressed and heated and formed into a cicular shape?

For jesus sake,meat comes off a farm,fact. That meat is,generally speaking,processed the same way everywhere,especially these days with the safety standards. Nobody ever claimed that burgers come from the most valuable part of the cow. But as someone said,you are far more likely to get poisoned in a local chipper than McDs.

As I said,we all know people who got food poisoning at "good" "respectable" restaurents. Honestly,how many people do yous know got it at McDs? Id say Pizza Hut has managed to move into the "respectable" bracket-after all its pricey,its licenced,it has nice decor. It still doesnt detract from the fact that its bloody sh1te. Havent touched the overpriced hole in years-last time I did for a whopping £10 old quid (97-98 or so)I got 2 Gino Ginelli sized mini pizzas that alledgedly had ham and mushroom on them(there could have been,there was so much grease swimming on top it was hard to tell),a coke and an ice cream and slice of pie. 10 bloody quid. I threw up from the grease on the way home. So fcuk the "respectable" joints

I got food poisoning at a local chipper when i was about 11(the burger bun was slightly blue,but at the time I didnt give a sh1te,although I gave a river of sh1te over the next 3 days thanks to it). In those days, local chippers werent with the shiny metal surfaces and hairnets the health and safety force them to have today. The food was as good as ever,but the activity in the kitchen wasnt. Back then McDonalds was probably the safest place to eat. As one or two people have stated,there seems to be a growing snobbery(confined almost entirely to the internet for some reason)against anything thats a success*. Thats why you have **** like Reclaim the Streets demonstrating about nothing in particular. Half wits banning coke in universities because of some far off link to rogue regimes in South America. Its all bollix

Personally speaking,I have seldom had home cooked dinners that were better than takeaway(my ma isnt the worlds best cook,just average,but Im talking about when i eat in the homes of people who are renowned for their skill at it). The food might be nice,but as fresh and tasty? Only rarely if you ask me

Another question-why is the hate aimed squarely at Mc Donalds? Why not as much at Burger King,KFC,Abrakebabra etc etc. They all run on the same basic model. I think it just backs up the point Ixoy made about hating on the big boy in the game

*mind you,I despise computer companys too,due to the general sh1teness of computers. Your paying over a grand for something that after a short period will demand upgrading or else hold you hostage by constantly freezing up and acting the bollix? Fcuk off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i have to say i'd much prefer my local chipper to mc donalds. at least i know and can see that the chips enter there as potatoes and are cut on site and the deep fat fryer does what it says on the tin. the pre-processing in McD's turns me off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Have to say i love McDonalds!!

Also, from a mate of mine who used to work for McDonalds (not behind the counter) that the beef actually is 100% pure. He assures me it is.

I mean if they advertise the fact that it is, seeing as how big a company it is, surely they could get done for false advertising if it wasnt??!!??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Ms Beanbag wrote:
    what happens when you bring your kids in and give them a choice between fries & a salad. What do you think their gonna pick?!
    the healthy option was a good idea but it needs to be thought out more...
    It's up to people to raise their own kids, not McDonalds. If you don't want your kids to eat McDonalds fries then you have two choices, either don't bring them there or don't give them the choice between fries and salad, make it yourself. Even if they do have fries once in a while it's not going to do them any harm, as long as they have a good overall diet. It's your job as a parent to make sure your kids eat healthy, it's McDonalds job to make money, as long as everybody does their job properly then everybody's happy

(when I say you, I mean the proverbial you, not you specifically, I don't know if you have kids or not, or take them to McDonalds or not.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Peteee wrote:
    Also, from a mate of mine who used to work for McDonalds (not behind the counter) that the beef actually is 100% pure. He assures me it is.

It's what they DO to the burgers that puts me off....
    No seriously, If they say it's 100% beef, then it's probably 100% beef.... anus.
    As long as it's from a cow, it's beef. So it could be intestines and whatnot in there.
    But seriously, the ad contradicts itself. 100% beef, with a pinch of salt... but hang on, that would would make it 100.000000000001% volume!

Edit: I believe the proverbial you is referred to as 'one'. As in, "One should not eat yellow snow". But it makes you sound like a twat. So don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Ya 100% beef doesn't mean it's 100% lean cut's of beef muscle. Mainly the crap cut's from the cow with plenty of fat.

I worked there for a year when I was younger. It's very hygenic but the food sucks balls. The fries are 100% potatoe despite the still comomon belief that they are made from something else. We got a free lunch there every day and after a few months I stopped eating it and went over to the shop to get a roll or something instead. I eat there very rarely these days, the likes of supermacs and burger king make much tastier burgers. Maybe I'm biased because i've been put off the food from eating it so much. The food's not the slightest bit healthy. High in fat, calories and salt. What I used to find funny was these big fat women coming in ordering a large veggie burger meal with a diet coke. Little did they know that the veggie burger actually has more calories than the big macs or quarter pounders. I think it has 550 calories.

The problem is worse in America because their portions are bigger. Our large is the same as their medium. Their large is the same as our super size and their supersize is just crazy. In the cities you can get the double big macs and half pounder meals. Get a supersize one of those and your looking at about 1500 calories with massive amounts of fat and salt. The recomended daily calory intake for a man is 2500 and 2000 for a woman. Even if you don't get fat you will be unhealthy.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

McD's serves over 150,000 irish people every day. Fact. Therefore it can not possibly be as bad as some here think it is, if it was we'd sure as hell know about it! And Rangeland Meats in Monaghan are the suppliers of McD's country wide, i'm sure there would be some info about the meat they use and the processes it goes through on their site or elsewhere... Bottom line, we eat the food. We make the franchise multi-millionaires(sp?), so the way i see it, if it was really that bad how did they get to where they are today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah they sell millions a day. They get it cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Well what i'm trying to say is that its not cow anus and cow guts! I'm sure its not all prime beef either but........

Anyway he went on to say that another well known brand of burger that you buy and freeze has about 20% 'crap quotient' i.e. offal

I'll leave you to find out what brand it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Tha Gopher wrote:
    As I said,we all know people who got food poisoning at "good" "respectable" restaurents. Honestly,how many people do yous know got it at McDs? Id say Pizza Hut has managed to move into the "respectable" bracket-after all its pricey,its licenced,it has nice decor. It still doesnt detract from the fact that its bloody sh1te. Havent touched the overpriced hole in years-last time I did for a whopping £10 old quid (97-98 or so)I got 2 Gino Ginelli sized mini pizzas that alledgedly had ham and mushroom on them(there could have been,there was so much grease swimming on top it was hard to tell),a coke and an ice cream and slice of pie. 10 bloody quid. I threw up from the grease on the way home. So fcuk the "respectable" joints
    That's nice. I get stomach problems/nausea approx. 4/5 of the time when I eat at McDonald's. And I used to work there, so you'd think I'd be used to the food.
    Tha Gopher wrote:
    *mind you,I despise computer companys too,due to the general sh1teness of computers. Your paying over a grand for something that after a short period will demand upgrading or else hold you hostage by constantly freezing up and acting the bollix? Fcuk off.

That's also nice. If you love McDonald's and hate computers so much, how about you
    1. Log off your computer, i.e., leave us alone, and
    2. Go to McDonald's and have a nice meal. It'd give you something to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Cactus Col wrote:

Nail firmly hit on the head. The amount of teenagers/young adults who are anti-globalisation/psuedo-socialists right now and don't know why is truly baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

NoelRock wrote:
    Nail firmly hit on the head. The amount of teenagers/young adults who are anti-globalisation/psuedo-socialists right now and don't know why is truly baffling.

Yep. I used to be friends with a girl who refused to wear Gap stuff because of her "hatred for globalisation". Yet she worked in McDonald's.

Lady's gotta be an independant woman you know! gotta buy her diamond rings an sad accessories... think of the accessories man!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.mcspotlight.org/ McDonald's spends over $2 billion a year broadcasting their glossy image to the world. This is a small space for alternatives to be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Tha Gopher wrote:
    why the hell is Mc Donalds bashing the favourite pastime of opinionated internet snobs?
    Because it's so hip.
    Clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was never a big fan of McDonalds, even when I was very young. I just have a natural dislike of greasy food quite a lot of the time. Also (incredible as it may seem) I didn't eat chips until I was 15, so I just grew up more used to eating stuff like sandwiches or pizza when I was out. One thing that annoys me now if I get dragged there by the mates is the fact that because I'm vegetarian, about the only thing on the menu I can eat is chips. They seem to have phased out the veggie burger in this country.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

One thing that annoys me now if I get dragged there by the mates is the fact that because I'm vegetarian, about the only thing on the menu I can eat is chips.
    Umm they've a whole salad range? Or doesn't that count!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Most of the salads have chicken in them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement