Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Meteor MMS and GPRS working?

• 15-12-2004 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

can't get it to work on my phone and its showing a GPRS signal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Darz0re

its working for me

go through the settings again
    and do a location update
    (ie. turn the phone off and turn it back on again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Check your settings properly ie:All lower case words.Or check the sticky at the top of this forum.
    Also i dont think you can send mms to vodafone but thats about it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭samo

also worht selecting clear the cache option and then doing location update if above doesnt work. GPRS fine on meteor mobile here and connecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't Meteor have problems sending to O2 and Vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭samo

They can send to 02 Now but agreement not set up with Vodafone, have been able to send MMS to o2 this week so far with no problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

samo wrote:
    They can send to 02 Now but agreement not set up with Vodafone, have been able to send MMS to o2 this week so far with no problems?

All Irish networks, can send and receive to each other now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

ok here's the story, sorry for harping on but this is really pissing me off now

even though my phone has a gprs signal, it can't access the gprs network and won't send or receive mms messages

all of the settings are correct, i've double checked both with the meteor website and the girl on 1905

somebody sent me an mms message and i got a text message to say i have to check it on the mymeteor website, even though the bloody phone is mms enabled

the girl I spoke to on 1905 couldn't do anything else for me and didnt know what was wrong

anybody any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Same happened to me. Ring up 1905, tell them to activate gprs on your phone. Nothing happens. Ring again and tell them to do it again cause the other person is a fu**wit!! then it should work. My phone has a gprs logo on the screen but was not receiving... hope this helps

Borderfox wrote:
    Same happened to me. Ring up 1905, tell them to activate gprs on your phone. Nothing happens. Ring again and tell them to do it again cause the other person is a fu**wit!! then it should work. My phone has a gprs logo on the screen but was not receiving... hope this helps

I'm pissed off with ringing them, anybody i get through to doesn't seem to have much of a clue. I emailed cust. care instead hopefully I get more joy from there. There's something wrong when I know what's wrong and they don't understand me, they're supposed to be the technical people!

When this is sorted out Meteor will be getting a nice letter from me

My phone has been intermittently losing GPRS recently. It only affects me when roaming on O2 - Meteor's own network is fine. If I try late at night or early in the morning its OK, but any time during the day its gone again.

Its weird, the GPRS icon appears but it just doesn't work.

Tip: Send them e-mails if you have issues. 1905 never seem to solve much, but I recently e-mailed info(at)meteor.ie regarding a problem I had and one of the technical reps called me back. He sorted it too!
    I was wondering for a while if they actually had a technical dept, 1905 never seemed to solve anything when they "sent a ticket" to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Vodascum

Meteor customers (poor sods) don't have access to O2's GPRS network even though they can now raom on O2's GSM network... serves them right for buying a phone from Meteor !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Took about 20 phone calls to get it setup....jus a quick question, I thought GPRS was meant to be always connected? How come every time I want to use it, it says creating GPRS connection. I know people on Vodafone who permanantly have the little G symbol in the top left hand section of their screen?

The only reason I originally went to Meteor was for the free text messages. My g/f is also Meteor so it saves us both a fortune. Their call charges are also decent. Unfortunately for everything else (call quality, dropped calls, coverage - don't believe this national coverage crap it's lies - and customer support) Meteor is absolutely crap

Vodascum wrote:
    Meteor customers (poor sods) don't have access to O2's GPRS network even though they can now raom on O2's GSM network... serves them right for buying a phone from Meteor !

I don't feel like a sod for switching to Meteor. And why would I want to use O2's GPRS network? Too expensive, a home page that's deliberately not cached in order to charge you every time you visit it - its robbery! When you're roaming abroad you're using your carrier's GPRS network, not the carrier you're roaming on. For example I couldn't use Voadfone Live in the UK if I was roaming from an Irish network. It might be possible with Vodafone Ireland, but you'll get the Irish VF Live, not the UK one.
    I'd rather choose Meteor and put up with a few gremlins than pay a bomb for my calls with O2 or constantly get network busy errors with Vodafone. I also have other reasons, but the mods would boot me out for libel if I mentioned them.

libel? I'm intrigued! tell me! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I love meteor, they have saved me a fortune. Signal is perfect in dublin and there is absolutely no congestion. I will never go back to O2. I know about 30 other people on meteor (college friends and friends from home) we regularly send random MMS messages. I'd say I send/recieve on average of 5 a day. Been doing this since April.

Apart from that night about 2 months ago when the network went down. We have never had one problem with the MMS service. Works flawlessly.

To be honest nearly every time I hear a complaint about Meteor its usually because people don't seem to be using their phone properly! I'm serious!

For example fletch said Vodafone customers seem to have the G symbol constantly on their screen. Thats just a setting in the phone nothing to do with the network.

Another guy was complaining a while back that when he sent a MMS to his Meteor friend, his friend received a message telling him to go on the internet to see it. Thats because your friend hasn't told Meteor he has a picture phone. Its not Meteors fault.

From what I've read over the past few months alot of people are having trouble seting up MMS properly on their phone. Just log into my meteor and send the settings to your phone. Send yourself a blank MMS and bobs your uncle. Just make sure you delete your previous operators settings from your phone first. I think thats what might be causing alot of people grief. Again not Meteors fault!

yeah but what happens when you've done all that but when you try to send yourself a blank message it still won't send

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

For example fletch said Vodafone customers seem to have the G symbol constantly on their screen. Thats just a setting in the phone nothing to do with the network.
    I know which setting it is..... Settings - Connection Settings - Edit Active Service Settings - Session Mode.
    I have set it to Permanent yet I still have to wait every time for the GPRS to connect

Seems to me that GPRS is still acting up but I've made a discovery.

I'm now using Meteor on an unlocked/reflashed Motorola V550. GPRS never fails to connect. At times where my other phones would time out and fail, the V550 keeps trying. It can take up to a minute to connect but it still does. At night the GPRS is extremely fast and I don't think I've ever seen it better. During the day I could never get a connection with a Nokia 3510i.
    Meteor say that they haven't received any reports of problems with the GPRS network, some rep tried to fob me off by saying that the phone would only "half work" if I didn't call them to get the settings sent to my phone. Total rubbish, I can enter them manually or do it online! I then told her that a friend with a Sagem MyX5-2 was having problems also and she asked me "did he call us to get the settings", ugh, drives me ballistic!

I'm guessing that its network congestion, the GPRS network isn't dead. It just takes a lifetime to connect so maybe some phones are timing out?

Advertisement