Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Years Eve in Dublin - what to do?

• 15-12-2004 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

26, first New Years in Dublin even though I've lived here for a while, currently single, all my friends are in their 30s (and mind-numbingly boring), some of them are going away. What are the options?

- some Spirit or Redbox style rave event, pay exorbitant ticket price, take vitamin Es, dance all night with androgynous looking tie-dye clad girls with various facial piercings, miss the countdown, get kicked out at 2am into wintry cold night and amble around for hours attempting to get a taxi home

- go to the local bar and have a few drinks

- go to a house party somewhere, get incredibly drunk on the booze I brought along, make mindless small talk with people there, get cosy with some 37 year old attorney my drunken state leads me to believe is the worlds hottest MILF, then eventually crash on the couch

- stay home, make dinner and veg out watching crappy tv specials

- drive to some other town in Ireland and see what happens there

- go to dinner/dance event at some big bar in town like The Vaults with 30 yr old friends who aren't going away. Same exorbitant door price as rave thing but dancing happens with wannabee debutantes in de rigeur miniskirt and boot combos. Even bigger hassle to get a cab back from the Northside.

Comments

- Hide under the duvet til the madness goes away

- Visit an old/sick person who is on their own for the countdown

- Go for a walk and think about how lucky you are to be able to choose what to do

- Reflect on the past year and figure out something YOU can do to help humanity

Have a guess which is the easiest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

- Buy a taxi plate for your car
    - Do a rain dance
    - Roll in the resulting money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Die alone in an alleyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Papa Smut wrote:
    - Hide under the duvet til the madness goes away

- Go for a walk and think about how lucky you are to be able to choose what to do

- Reflect on the past year and figure out something YOU can do to help humanity

Have a guess which is the easiest...

All good options with option 2 being a particularly good one... Well done Papa Smut - a good reality check and more people like you needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Get your smoke on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Leave Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Kill yourself. Seeing as you're a depressing bástard!
    Only joking! :)
    No actually, kill yourself. You appear to have shít, boring friends, you don't like town, you don't like the local, you don't like house parties, you don't like TV! Kill yourself*

*Please don't kill yourself!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

What ever yea do don't go out into town
    prices are crazy

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

HOw about going to a house party full of all under age drinkers and getting one of them duffed? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Papa Smut wrote:
    I'm not in any way casting aspersions on this noble act.

But, I read it and my brain parsed it as "visit an old person and watch countdown"

:D
    Lenny wrote:
    HOw about going to a house party full of all under age drinkers and getting one of them duffed? :)
    Thats what I'm doing.

• Advertisement

Goodman yourself, I'll make sure the state will lok after you and your child ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I like that Taxi plate idea, just think of the money you could make.
    "Sorry love,New Years Eve prices are €40 for a 5 min journey!"

Throw your own house party, all ages invited. Then you can get a change at the 18 yr old student and the 37 yr old lawyer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Lenny wrote:
    I'd say many a scumbag is spawned on New Years Eve.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seansouth wrote:
    But, I read it and my brain parsed it as "visit an old person and watch countdown"

I had an even worse thought go through my head

visit an old person to help as their life counts down.......

DapperGent wrote:

it would certainly explain your existance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Beruthiel wrote:
    it would certainly explain your existance :D
    I'm not an accident. I was a gift from Jebus.

DapperGent wrote:
    Why do yea think I am born in september? :)

Beruthiel wrote:

:eek: :D:D

Thank you for making my life a little bit brighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Beruthiel wrote:
    I had an even worse thought go through my head

Be careful with those thoughts. Someone might visit you! :)

Imposter wrote:
    Be careful with those thoughts. Someone might visit you! :)

I hate you :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'm going solo for new years, all my mates are away....****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I reckon go for the house party idea coz you can bring your own booze (don't have to wait at a bar & pay insane prices for a pint), stock up on loads of party food, music you like, people you like, don't have to worry about getting a taxi home coz you can stay the night there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

Zapho wrote:

Throw your own house party, all ages invited. Then you can get a change at the 18 yr old student and the 37 yr old lawyer!

Now thats not a bad idea, after chatting yesterday, its seems theres a few people at a loose end, house party is the way to go.

As for Papa Smut's answers - well, I'll just try not to sound like a spoilt sarcastic prick in future posts, that way I'll avoid getting a mix of Oprah and Steven R. Covey answers.

I am having a party in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Last year I saw New Years in in my local boozer. The place was empty 'cos it was closing at 12.30am. Didnt' bother me though, I was with some of my bestest friends in the world, we were comfortable, we weren't being overcharged for booze, and it was only a short stroll home afterwards, where I wished my parents a Happy New Year and stayed up drinking with them for a while.

I'll probably do the same this year.

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I'll probably cry myself to sleep at about 12.10 .... sigh .... I'm so lonely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Visit my dad drink his beer & watch clive james its been the winning formula
    with me for years,

Advertisement