Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Superchip or Not

Options
  • 15-12-2004 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine in work just bought a brand new Kia Sorento jeep and is thinking of putting one of them Superchips in it, McNamara's in Dublin will do it for €600. I think he's mad, anyone have any experience with these chips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

If he wants to do it let him at it, but he still won't win drag races in it. I don't really know much about them, but presumably the one he is putting in is one specifically for the Sorento, rather than just some generic SUV chip. If it does cause some damage to the engine don't expect KIA to be too sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Superchips really work but he will invalidate his warranty !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

If I had a Kia, I'd put a large explosive device in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Yeah I'd have thought the same till I got a spin in it, it has alot of extras incl heated seats (bliss on a cold morning) and it looks well too. Kia are abit like skoda were a couple of years ago, they've realy got their act together.
    Thanks Mike for that site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Superchips work very well and last time I looked they were £250stg which makes the €600 seem steep. As with everything there is a tradeoff and the enhanced performance results in increased fuel consumtion, the low-range torque is vastly improved and yes, it will not only invalidate the warrantee but if he is in an accident and the insurance assessors find the chip without the insurance company having been notified it 'could' have serious consequences. But thats just me talking a4se, 1 he should do what he wants if it makes him happy and 2 he shouldn't give a monkeys what anyone thinks about it.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

In my experience a superchip will have little effect if the engine is otherwise standard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

superchips are really only for cars with modifications done to the engine,exhaust etc.
    your mate wont get much difference if his jeep is bog standard when the chip goes in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

And unless I'm a monkeys uncle, this is a diesel car and the airbox and exhaust can't be modified to any degree, you certainly can't put an induction kit on it. My knowledge of chipped diesels is limited, but I guess apart from bringing the turbo in sooner and increaing the fuel load there isn't much it can do.

This is interesting reading Mike, but I can't figure what it actually does - any ideas?

According to Superchips website:

Turbocharged Diesel cars
    Superchip's reprogramming of the computer matches the fuelling to the increased manufacturer's boost pressure, giving impressive gains of up to 30% more torque and more power. This adds to driving pleasure, requiring less gear changing, making the car more lively and responsive. There is also the potential for improved fuel economy.

The chip for the Sorrento costs £511 and gives 25 BHP!!!

Hmm. I stand corrected and slightly wiser, but still not convinced. Tell him to buy a Lotus Elise, that a guy on the internut who knows all about cars said he should.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

£511 and gives 25 BHP!!!

wow that's a lot money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

And that 500 will probably be paid out again in loss of fuel consumption.. I'd wager you'll be lucky to get over the 18mpg mark with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

No real experience of the superchip and yes if he had an accident and the insurance company found out about the chip the insurance would be void.

However I know a friend who used UPSOLUTE - rather than putting in a chip they update the software on your factory fit chip (not sure of all the tech stuff but I know it controls the air and petrol\diesel injection into the engine). This works great and he's had no problem with the car, and from what i'm told the garages will never know.

The only side effect is for diesel cars\jeeps they have a bit of black smoke when you drive the car hard, this is caused by extra diesel being pumped into the engine but not being burned off (again not a expert on this so i might be slightly wrong).

Its well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Diesel tuning is very different to petrol tuning in the % gains you can make for very little spend.

Because of the fact that there is a turbo involved it's very easy to fool the system into thinking it's under more pressure than it is and hence cause it to pump in more diesel.

there are lots of simple and often cheap ways of tuning turbo diesel engines.

With nothing more than adjusting the fuel pump I should be able to gain 10 to 15 BHP on my current 90 in my 405.

relocate the intercooler from on top of the (rather hot) engine to in front of the rad and another ten BHP ain't that far away.

so for the price of some hose and brackets I could gain 20 to 25 bhp.

why don't I? couldn't be bothererd, tis fast enough as is, although It's gonna fail the nct on monday so the pump may have to get turned up for it's last three months of life

diesel is fun, and done right there should be negligible smoke increases, and also minimal impact on fuel economy (take a look at the economy figures for the various golfs ranging from 90 to 150 horses)

I say do it, but ask the insurance company first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

DirtyDog wrote:
    Its well worth the money.

500 for diesel engine tune? Wow

Considering the price of VW/Audi diesel tuning box this price is taking a mickey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Gmodified wrote:
    500 for diesel engine tune? Wow

Considering the price of VW/Audi diesel tuning box this price is taking a mickey

I actually think the UPSOLUTE is only about 350....but that was about 2yrs ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I was going to get my new Alfa Gt diesel chipped but now I have gone off the idea. I think its more trouble than its worth and sure you really dont need break neck accelleration/speed on our roads today as you rarely can find a clear stretch in which to exploit it safely. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some reading here about chipped diesels thats worth reading cos its from the bible of derv driving.

Some direct pdf links

http://www.dieselcar.com/pdf-files/articles/power/power20.pdf
    http://www.dieselcar.com/pdf-files/articles/power/power19.pdf

and a diesel forum to discuss tuning

http://www.dieselcar.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tuning_pow

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And make it Killed In Action?

Advertisement