Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo to Bring Music, Video to DS!!

Options
  • 15-12-2004 7:59pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Clicky Clicky

Well i didnt see this coming!!!

Knee jerk reaction to PSP???

I seem to remember Nintendo being a 'games' company.

Of course, theres one question that i think we must all ask

HOW LONG WILL THE BATTERY LAST??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Peteee wrote:

They have been criticised for being a only "games" company by some.. If they think it will increased sales and competition for Sony, then why the hell not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

that's cool, looks like my old gba movie player is gonna be replaced, besides the fact it plays nes roms

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

They have been criticised for being a only "games" company by some.. If they think it will increased sales and competition for Sony, then why the hell not?

Why the hell not indeed!

I was just pointing out that it seems like a big 'about face' for them to be concerned with mp3's and the like, after pretty publicly saying that they are a games company, that games consoles dont need to have DVD players, becuase they are games consoles etc etc

right so..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think the most interesting thing about this is that the the new nintendo console will most likely play dvds and cds seeing as the DS will play music and video !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Tusky wrote:
    I think the most interesting thing about this is that the the new nintendo console will most likely play dvds and cds seeing as the DS will play music and video !

wasn't there a japanese gamecube that did that already, the panasonic Q or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Gets a big meh from me. I never used any of my consoles for anything other than playing games, and I don't think that will change much with the DS. I think this is more a push from the marketing than the creative people to be honest and pretty much as knee jerk as you can get. But as long as the media doesn't take preference over games I'm still gonna play nintendo games.

I don't know about it being knee jerk, the fact that it caters for the Gameboy advance sp would kinda remove it from the whole DS vs PSP thing. In my view anyway, Nintendo have a history of adding accessories to portable systems so i figured (a while ago, when the tvtuner came out) that this was gonna be coming

wasn't there a japanese gamecube that did that already, the panasonic Q or something like that?

yup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Peteee wrote:
    Clicky Clicky

Well i didnt see this coming!!!

Knee jerk reaction to PSP???

Not a s big a shock as you might think.

Thy have been selling video content on GBA carts for a while now. They have gotten in to movie production recently. There has been a 3rd party GBA video adapter similar to this selling like wild fire for a while now.

Personally I dont want it unless it has specfic DS support (ie touch screen controls and the video is smaller then the DS screen like GBA games are).

• Advertisement

it's ridiculously expensive though!

it is expensive alright but (from my 30 mins googling it seems that) thats mainly cos it's discontinued, only available on import/modded and was very much a niche item. In 2002 it cost $300 which i don't think was too far off xbox money.

Still looks like a great piece of kit, maybe if it had been released all over it could have given the xbox and ps2 serious competition. (commercially i mean, the gamcube owns the others in the gaming stakes imo)

I was under the impression that all the other gameboy 'tv tuners' and the like were third party hard ware addon's???? Whereas this is an official nintendo addon.

I'm surprised that if they had this planned all along they didnt make the screens widescreen (ala PSP)

Then again i havnt owned a gameboy since the first one (ahhh teris)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

when the ds vs psp thing first came about everyone was going on about the ds being better because "nintendo are innovative and fresh". yes, sure they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

when the ds vs psp thing first came about everyone was going on about the ds being better because "nintendo are innovative and fresh". yes, sure they are.
    they are innovative n fresh. They invented everything gaminwise.

I think its a good addition and its only to increase functionality which in turn will obviously sell more units. the DS is selling very well without it, I wonder what's the figures going to be like now that the people who didn't buy the DS because of the lack of these features now do buy it.

It looks like its a GBA extension more then a DS one, but im sure a DS specfic one will come up.

The DS is more "innovative" then a PSP. A PSP is a PS2 crossed with an N-Gauge (not to mention the gizmodo and GP32), both have been around a while now, but that dosnt take anything from the PSP by all acounts its a nice machine, just nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

and touch screen is new? iv a touch screen palm organiser, and the novelty gets old REAL fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Zhane wrote:
    and touch screen is new? iv a touch screen palm organiser, and the novelty gets old REAL fast.

does your touch screen palm orginiser play games ?

When joypads first came out did people say " Ive got butons just like that on my kettle, its nothing new "

no...because thats stupid.

Zhane wrote:

My DS has a touch screen and the novelity hasn't warn off mainly due to the novel use of the touch screen. I played games on my Palm's and on my PocketPC's but none really made decnt use of the hardware.

The DS as a package is pretty novel, I dont think anyone saw the the thumb strap thing coming. Its an evolution of a few technologies encorporating what Nintendo reckon is good about handhelds. I was playing XY/XX earlier and was blowing (on the mic) a sailing boat accross 2 screens. Surprisingly entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Rew wrote:
    . I was playing XY/XX earlier and was blowing (on the mic) a sailing boat accross 2 screens. Surprisingly entertaining.

this is why i love Nintendo consoles! i mean who else whould take this approach to a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Tusky wrote:
    does your touch screen palm orginiser play games ?.

it does actually.

Advertisement