Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Constantine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The Graphic Novels were brilliant ... some of the best that I have ever read. The film looks good but Keanu is horribly miscast. The role was made for Mickey Rourke imo ... a cigarette smoking, whiskey drinking, bad ass :P (which Keanu is not btw).

http://www.empiremovies.com/movies.php?id=744

P.S. Link wouldnt work for me so here is another :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It will, no doubt, suck. The original comics are *all* intended for a mature audience, featuring as they do people having limbs torn off by demons, people being b*ggered to death by demons, people being murdered in all sorts of graphic and horrible ways, and much other adult-oriented content.

According to this rumour on Straight To Hell they're reshooting for a PG13 rating. Although quite why, when the original comic isn't kiddie fare, is beyond me. Oh, wait. It's because Neo-sorry, Keanu- gets to wear a black trenchcoat and wander around doing that one face that he seems to think make him look like he's "acting", so all the kidz who thought that matrix 2 n 3 were good will go and see it.

Avoid it like a plague of STD infected locusts, I tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

give it a chance. jesus. granted the pg13 thing is going to be an annoyance, if they're "re-shooting" the chances are there's an 18 rated version around just waiting for the directors cut treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

give it a chance.

I most certainly will not! It looks absolutely dreadfull.

The film quite clearly suffers from the notion that most ignoration producers have about comic books being geared towards children. So if they make a film based on a comic, they're going to pander to children, and there's no way that's going to change.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So if they make a film based on a comic, they're going to pander to children, and there's no way that's going to change.
    Ah now "The Crow" had a certain amount of style and didn't seem to be too child-like. And what about "The Road to Perdition" hmm?

• Advertisement

Hmm... Good point, but it's also worth noting that after directing American Beauty, Mendez was pretty much gold in the eyes of hollywood producers at that stage, and he could do just about anything he wanted.

And yes, The Crow is probably another film not exactly geared towards children, but then again, it's more of a cult film. Also, it was made quite a number of years ago at this stage, since then the film X Men made it huge at the box office, and hollywood bought up the rights for just about every comic out there and continued to throw out laughable dross like The Hulk and The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen to name a few.

With the likes of X Men and Spiderman sequals, hollywood doesn't want another Crow, it wants lots of PG comic book adaptations for the kids to swarm into the cinemas to see in massive droves. I don't think the current climate in the film industry isn't suitable for a high-brow, adult orientated comic book adaptation. They want another X Men, with the added bonus of Neo from the matrix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

its such a pity ... it could have been an amazing adaption with the right director/actors

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't think the current climate in the film industry isn't suitable for a high-brow, adult orientated comic book adaptation. They want another X Men, with the added bonus of Neo from the matrix.
    *Sigh* You're right I fear. As you said "The Crow" was before comic book adaptations took off.

I actually imagine most people would be shocked to find out that "The Road to Perdition" was adapted from a graphic novel series. After all don't comic books mainly feature guys in spandex/leather?

OK here's another for you: "From Hell". Now whatever about the merits of it being good or not, it wasn't exactly aimed at kids although the original graphic novel is a lot better and a lot more detailed/complex (more so than could probably be handled in a movie).

And "Hellboy" was, at least, a little different although I'm not sure how dark the original was relative to the movie.

Are any of the comic book adaptations in development geared with a little more adult mindset? Or is the best we can hope for an adult interpretation of a comic/graphic novel designed for a broad audience - e.g. Batman Begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

isnt watchmen in production?

i'm pretty sure thats impossible to gear to kiddies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

D'you know who'd be perfect for the role of John Constantine?

Sting.

...Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

D'you know who'd be perfect for the role of John Constantine?

Sting.

...Anyone?

I take it this is a reference to the fact that Alan Moore deliberately created him to look like Sting because the artists on Swamp Thing at the time wanted to draw someone like that? (If not, now you know).

As for "giving it a chance", I most certainly will not. There's not a hope in hell that Keanu will do anything other than make a total pig's breakfast of the character, and the storyline's been stitched together from Garth Ennis's main storyline on the books (which is some of the weakest material there in certain respects, imo). The fact that it may be better than League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or The Hulk doesn't mean it's actually going to be any bloody good, especially not when you consider the high standards of some of the storylines in the original comics (like the saga of Jallakuntilliokan, the story of the family man, the original Newcastle incident, or the story about the inception of the antichrist by the nephew of a london gangster). Hellblazer, done right, would make the Crow look like Batman Of The Future in terms of tone and content.

Now, Watchmen....I was horrified by this, given what's been done with every Alan Moore comic adaptation so far, but with Aronofsky on board was quite hopeful. It'll take some tweaking, but I can't think of many directors whose track record would commend them to this sort of project. I think Jude Law was talking about how he'd love to play Veidt a while ago, though I could be remembering wrong (he mentioned something about having a Rorschach tattoo as well, iirc).

Of course, I've just looked at the IMDB listing and fecking Aronofsky's dropped out due to schedule conflicts. This does not bode well, I tell you. Paul Greengrass? Pah. Given the choice between the director of Pi or the director of Bourne Supremacy, I know who I'd choose. Ah well, it was a nice thought while it lasted...

ixoy wrote:
    OK here's another for you: "From Hell". Now whatever about the merits of it being good or not, it wasn't exactly aimed at kids although the original graphic novel is a lot better and a lot more detailed/complex (more so than could probably be handled in a movie).

And "Hellboy" was, at least, a little different although I'm not sure how dark the original was relative to the movie.

Are any of the comic book adaptations in development geared with a little more adult mindset? Or is the best we can hope for an adult interpretation of a comic/graphic novel designed for a broad audience - e.g. Batman Begins.

Right you are so about From Hell, and yes indeed Hellboy was pretty damned good. I suppose it could be worth pointing out that director Guillermo Del Toro really did fight to keep the film faithfull to the comics though, and that the studios wanted to completely bastardize it.

Ok, so perhaps it's a pretty open debate about comic adaptations, but I think it's pretty clear that Constantine is definetly among the ranks of films that I'm wary about being the kind of film that was watered down completely for a young audience, while retaining little from the source material.

To be honest, I was looking farward to Batman Begins, and I still am to a degree, but after Blade Trinity, the fact that Goyer is involved has made the film look a little shakey in my perspective.

Fysh wrote:
    I take it this is a reference to the fact that Alan Moore deliberately created him to look like Sting because the artists on Swamp Thing at the time wanted to draw someone like that? (If not, now you know).

Ah. I wasn't aware of this.

Ah. I wasn't aware of this.

Really? In that case I have to say, excellent suggestion :) Sadly, tis not to be...

Fysh wrote:
    Really? In that case I have to say, excellent suggestion :) Sadly, tis not to be...

Ayuh. He could use his yoga-power to....

Nah.

Ayuh. He could use his yoga-power to....

Nah.

Wouldn't tantric sex have to be in there somewhere? It might not be a great idea,though; with supernatural stuff going on, black trenchcoats, dodgy accents, and unnecessarily extended sex scenes, people will start thinking this is another Highlander sequel or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

*opening credits*

John Constantine: Dude......WOOOAH!

*closing credits*

saying thsat though, Constantine is an awesome Character....but one which Reeves is likely to f*** up

herobear wrote:
    Constantine is an awesome Character....but one which Reeves is SURE to f*** up

Advertisement