Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick DDR 500 question

Options
  • 15-12-2004 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I have Adata DDR 500 PC4000 memory (1 x 512mb) see here I am about to buy a second stick to complete the dual channel. However I ran a benchmarking program Everest home edition see here and it says I have only got PC3200 memory. I have a Abit IC7 max 3 board. Is this right? and should I then get a lower spec second memory stick?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

statto wrote:
    Hi,

I have Adata DDR 500 PC4000 memory (1 x 512mb) see here I am about to buy a second stick to complete the dual channel. However I ran a benchmarking program Everest home edition see here and it says I have only got PC3200 memory. I have a Abit IC7 max 3 board. Is this right? and should I then get a lower spec second memory stick?

Thanks.
    Have you set it to DDR500 via bios?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

this is the norm for the adata 500 i had a gig of it a while ago and even in sisoft sandra it shows up as pc3200 but when it comes to overclocking trust me they are 500 or should i say they will go to 500 if your system will take it that high...if you read some of the reviews on this ram youll see that your not alone with this read out....hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

AFAIK, and I'm working from 'Memory' here (ho, ho) that mobo only supports up to PC3200 (or 400MHz) ram.

It's limited by the chipset on the mobo, you can't go up past the FSB maximum.
    It's probably not a good idea to mix and match different types of RAM, and having faster RAM than your mobo can handle isn't a problem (you just underclock it). Get the other stick of the same memory... but just know you aren't getting the full potential from the RAM, due to your motherboard.

Edit: Yeah, in the description of the mobo here it shows a picture which says "Dual - DDR 400". My guess would be a limitation of the chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Mine is also rated pc3200 but that is at 2.0-2-2-5 timings. It is also rated ddr500 with 2.5-4-4-8 timings, if I fire up Sandra it will also tell me my memory is pc3200 and so will any other program. My guess after having a quick look at the product page is that it does ddr500 at 3-4-4-8 timings and ddr400 at 2.5-3-3-8 but I have no idea - email them about it, they'll give you the timings for both rated speeds if you ask them just to avoid any confusion or having to go and test for yourself to see what it can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Cheers Guys - thanks for all the advice - I am going to ordert he second Adata stick today.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You will only be able to get it to ddr500 speeds by overclocking your fsb which will overclock your processor as well. I have a 3.2 p4 but I can change the multi on it to drop it to 2.8. Then I upped the fsb to 257 to give me 3.6 on the processor and 514mhz on the RAM @ 2.5-4-4-7 and a system fsb of 1028. Gives a nice overall performance boost. I have the same mobo as you so it may be rated for a max of pc3200 and a system fsb of 800 but it can handle a lot more.

BloodBath

Advertisement