Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting a window hole in top of case

Options
  • 15-12-2004 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I recently asked a mates brother to cut a hole for a maplin window kit in the top of my case... he has a dremmel and I figured it'd be easier as I am crap at that sort of thing

I got it back but its not a very smooth job and not exactly on the line so to speak - anyone know somewhere in Dublin I can get it done commercially? I don't really wanna spend more than about €30 on it now... I have no power tools meself...

Also has anyone inserted a MAplin window kit before? The rubber seal on it seems REAL springy, and it seems to be a lot of hassle to get it to stay in place while inserting the window - anyone any experience of this type of kit and how did you get it inserted without weeping in frustration?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I'm no expert on this type of stuff, but try going to a garage and ask them to drill a hole with a hole saw. they are accurate and clean. i've never used one on a pc case but on plenty of other materials, wood, metal and plastics and they leave a very clean, jagged free edge if done right. offer them a fiver or tenner to do it.

just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I put in one of the maplin side windows.
    It's pretty tough, lots of tears :D start with a corner and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You put these windows in the same as a car window.
    Wrap a piece of thin strong string around the rubber in the groove that the case sits in.
    The string should overlap.
    place the window and the rubber with string wrapped around it in place on the case.
    get someone to help or just push the window into place, not hard but just keeping gentle pressure on it.
    Inside the case you will grab one end of the string and gently pull down allowing the lip of the rubber seal to slide over the edge of the case work your way around gently and you should be sorted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

i completly mis read the question sorry, i though you wanted to bore a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

thanks 4 the help folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement