Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody use COBOL?

Options
  • 16-12-2004 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Was just wondering is all, cause i do.
    Intrested to see is it widely in use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pancakeman

Nope i use DOBOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

They still teach it in the University of Limerick (don't ask :) ) ! Shocking I know.

I chose (yes, that does say chose) to do these modules.

Well a programming language is a programming language but oh do I hate it and Netexpress and I are no longer on speaking terms.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Ya its still in use cos a huge amount of legacy systems are still in use and were coded in COBOL and still need to be maintained. Its one of those languages that has been dying for years, but is still hanging on and probably will still be in use in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I used to write a fair bit of COBOL (and PL1) back when I worked in one of the banks.

Haven't done any since then.

Not a bad language, all things considered....

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

COBOL is mainly used on old mainframe banking systems these days. Ancient but with proven reliability. The last time there was a significant amount of COBOL done was pre 2000 as all the critical software had to be carefully tested and fixed due to Y2K date concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lost_lad

Was just wondering was told it was still in fair use its the primary one we use with embedded sql.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scobe

There is an object oriented version of cobol available now. However most applications are now been developed using Java and .NET technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I did COBOL last year for my course in DCU, it's a good introduction to programming and a way of learning the important skills and conventions required. You wouldn't create any stunning games with it but it's handy for quick tools.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

It's used a lot in the life assurance business on IBM AS/400's ('shudder' at the memory...). A lot of them around Dublin use Life400 (which is a Life assurance package built on the Smart/400 library - not that you wanted to know :) ) . All written in lovely Cobol/400. Good money in that lark but it slowly destroys the soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

It's also the backbone of lottery and stockbroking systems in more than 90 states around the world. Coincidence? Methinks not. :cool:
    Is that OO version AcuCobol? I used that for a few years and it wasn't too bad. Not truly OO, though. I'd say COBOL will most certainly be around for a few more years as web technologies are largely seen as window dressing for the end user whilst COBOL takes care of all the number crunching. (Ooh, controversial :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I started a new job in a government dept last year and am using COBOL exclusively.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

which gov dept do u work in if you don't mind me asking. I just start in Rev and they thought us that to start with. It is also the foundation to which I use my SQL now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lost_lad

gazzer wrote:
    I started a new job in a government dept last year and am using COBOL exclusively.
    would that be dsfa? I too am in a gov dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Lots of financial institutions use Cobol. Someone said it's a dying language... well when I started back in college 16 years ago I read an article saying that Cobol is a dead language - still here and will be here in 10 years time. Some contractors working with me are on €400 - €650 a day. An easy language to learn and cobol programmers are coming back into demand, well at least where I work anyway !

Advertisement