Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[newbie] Getting a new Case

Options
  • 16-12-2004 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hey people,

I recently got an upgrade for my computer this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301189&cks=PRL at 30 more I might add :)

For those that have an aversion to clicking the above the motherboard is an ABIT IS7-E2 ATX

I had everything put together and in my current case when I noticed that the new motherboard is not going to work well with my current case. The power supply lead cannot reach the connection on the motherboard, the power button lead cannot reach it's connection and the IDE connections are very far away from the drives themselves (reachable but too tight for comfort).

SO I decided to get a new case(cheapest one I can get). I hope to be buying it tomorrow as I really need to have the computer up and running for the weekend. My problem lies with the question of what power supply do I need to get (I think you can get different ones, is this correct information)?? I have had a brieve look at the manuals that have come with the motherboard and I'm at a loss to see where it mentions this.

Sorry for such a newbie question.

I hope ye can help,

Thanks,
    A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

This case seems like decent value, Case dose'nt look too bad and comes with a psu. €79

Case & PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

U need to get an atx power supply (nealerly all new power supplies are nowadays). which brand and model depends on how much you want to spend and how many devices you are using and wether you are into overclocking or not. Enermax, ocz, thermaltake and antec are some good brands. I would recommend 480w or higher in case you want to add more devices later. Peats have a thermaltake 480watt psu for near 100euros i think, or you can get cheaper ones in european shops

jessy wrote:
    This case seems like decent value, Case dose'nt look too bad and comes with a psu. €79

Case & PSU
    Yep thats a very good deal by the looks of it and Antec are a good brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Thanks everyone for yeer replies :)

I got a new case this morning http://www.jeantech.com/Products/Cases/Butterfly/butterfly.html (no PSU) at PCWorld for 59.99 (20% off).

However, I fitted the motherboard to the case and the PSU is still causing me problems :( So it looks like I'll have to get a PSU all the same.

A.

must be a VERY short mobo power connector on your PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

The fact that you have a short motherboard power connector on your power supply instantly makes me suspicious of something which crops up here on boards quite a lot - QTEC! Is the power supply by any chance gold in colour? Even if it isn't it may still be of the Qtec brand and if it is indeed a Qtec then you would be better off replacing it anyway as they are rubbish.

YEP as u see QTEC is not in my short list of good brands - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Well it isn't a QTEC it's a FSP group inc. PSU and only a 145v :) I'm not complaining though as I have the present rig for a sum total of about e50. (spare parts and that)

Time for a new PSU. PcWorld quoted me something like e30 for a psu and I may be forced to buy it as I need it for Sunday and they are the only place, that I know of, in Limerick that I can get one. If anyone knows better feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

I got an OEM Fontron 350w off komplett for about €25 iand its worked out fine.

I can't see PC World giving you much of a PSU for only €30. Could you not borrow a psu from someone if you need it only for Sunday and get a decent PSU from an online retailer later?

• Advertisement

if u buy a psu in ireland for 30 u will get a piece of sh*te, i would defo try borrow one and get a decent 1 later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

the power input on the abit e2 is fairly high up so the psu must be really short.

quick question b3t4:
    i got this board myself recently. can you find out for me if your system and aux fans are controllable? I'm having a problem when i use speedfan iot shows the rpms but doesn't let me change the speeds. maybe the mobo isn't supported but its a little strange as it doesn't happen with the CPU fan.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gline wrote:
    YEP as u see QTEC is not in my short list of good brands - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE
    I'll have you know I am very happy with my twin fan, gold QTEC PSU!
    Its very handy for drowning out the noise of all those neighbours cutting their grass.... :o

GreeBo wrote:
    I'll have you know I am very happy with my twin fan, gold QTEC PSU!
    Its very handy for drowning out the noise of all those neighbours cutting their grass.... :o
    LOL :D

duridian wrote:
    Could you not borrow a psu from someone if you need it only for Sunday and get a decent PSU from an online retailer later?

I couldn't find someone who had a spare PSU
    I can't see PC World giving you much of a PSU for only €30.

I got this http://www.jeantech.com/Products/Power_Supply/350W/350w.html PSU from PCWorld today at e29.99. (25% discount) It appears to be working away fine anyways, whether it's good or not I couldn't say. I couldn't wait to buy it online as I needed to have my system up and running as soon as possible so that I can continue working.
    quarryman wrote:
    can you find out for me if your system and aux fans are controllable?

I'll refer you to the part where I mentioned that I'm a newbie to all this :) The only fan I have is the CPU fan. I should be shot just about now, right?

I got the system up and running, eventually, this evening. :) I'm very pleased with the case I bought, plenty of room and the side panels are so easy to remove :) I can't seem to get the LED's on the front of the case to work though, eventhough I've checked and rechecked the connections for them in the boards manual a few times. Ah sure it's only a small thing. I'm also loving the front usb connections, very handy indeedy.

Thanks again for all yeer help.

A.

LEDs being diodes will only light if the current is flowing the right way thru them. It won't damage 'em having them the wrong way round (as long as you have them connected to the right pins that is) as the current can't flow that way. If you are sure of the pins try both ways until you get a result.

Thanks duridian, I changed them around as you suggested and they're working now.

A.

Advertisement