Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old car, Heater Matrix, options?

Options
  • 16-12-2004 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

We've an old ' 91 fiesta we use a second car. Which generally gets very abused. However at the moment theres a leak in the heater matrix which mists up the windows so much that you have to keep the air on cold all the time. The is becoming a real problem, as the bad vis out of the windows. I don't have time to pull the dash and replace the matrix. So my options are get someone else to do, which is expensive and would cost more than the car is worth. (every time you fill it, it doubles in value) or use a product to seal the radiator. However this could cause other problems.

Whaddy think? Can't really afford to change the car yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Don't put any of those Radweld type products in, they're useless for stopping leaks but can cause blockages in the rad/cooling system.

What you could do is disconnect the hoses going to the heater and connect both hoses together using a short length of pipe and a couple of jubilee clips. This will have the effect of bypassing the matrix completely. You'll have no heater but you could get one of those little electric heaters that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket which should provide enough heat to keep your windscreen from misting.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

In a '91 Fiesta you can safely drop in the contents of a tube of 'Barrs Leaks'. Most auto factors sell it and I've used it successfully on lots of stuff, most recently on an '89 Fiesta which leaked like a sieve. Follow the instructions and it should be ok.

Under no circumstances crack an egg into the system, this is an old lags get-you-off-the-side-of-the-road trick.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Under no circumstances crack an egg into the system, this is an old lags get-you-off-the-side-of-the-road trick.

'c

That does work 'c, I know that cos McGyver used it once!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

'Barrs Leaks' - umm will have to check it out. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

mike65 wrote:
    That does work 'c, I know that cos McGyver used it once!

Mike.
    I taught that fluffy-haired ponce everything he knows and he still went and put an egg in his Pontiac after I telling him it would make an omelette in the water pump. You just can't get the staff anymore....

Barrs Leaks comes in a short tube and is crumbled into the system when warm (BE CAREFUL), the engine is left running and the water topped up until the leak stops and it should last indefinately or until something else fails. Or the wheels fall off.

'c

• Advertisement
Advertisement