Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 in at the Fitz last night

Options
  • 16-12-2004 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Strange night of cards. The very first hand I had to rebuy when my set of Ks got caught by a full house. I thought it was a sign of things to come. Managed to get by to the break without any more rebuys and had a healthy 8K after my topup. Then on the button I limped in with 89s, the sb mucked and the bb checked. Flop came J77, bb checked and I bet. He flat called which set alarm bells ringing. Rag on the turn, which he checked again. I also checked with a view of betting the river if he checked again. The river brought the 10 to complete my straight. He bet big and I flat called, only to see him turn over J7. I was now down to 1300 with blinds of 100/200. Two hands later I went all in with 45o (taking HJ's advice and not waiting for premium hands) and doubled throught against QJ. Very next hand doubled through again with my AK v 99.

Eventually made the final table (6 to get paid) and was very low in chips. Second hand in I go all in for 5100 with KK and get called in two places. Checked all the way down and they hold up to treble me through. Then all the boards advice kicked in. I normally limp in with small pps but decided against on two occasions last night as I didn't have position. I mucked a pair of 6s only to see one hit the flop and the very next hand I mucked a pair of 5s only to see the same thing happen. Now I know it was probably the right decision regardless of the flop but when I got a pair of 44s on the next hand (three in a row) I decided to raise to 8500 (blinds at 1k,2k). Of course I got reraised by an all in for 17000. I felt I had to make a stand and thought I was marginally ahead. I called and he turned over AK and hit the A on the flop. Should have listened to the boards advice !!! Back down to about 7k but luckily I got some good cards and built my stack back up again.

There were three of us left when I got the A10o and raised all in for about 19K (blinds 2k, 4k) as the BB was an enormous chip leader and I felt he would have called any smalller raise. He called with my earlier hand (44) and even though I hit a 10 on the flop, he rivered a 4 to send me packing. I'm not even going to mention bad luck as I had been all in about 10/15 times last night. €350 for third, which nicely covers the turkey/ham.

I definetly think I played better poker last night based on reading and discussing certain hands here. Keep up the good work !!

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Last night I sat down and played my usual game and then stopped and thought..."you know what, I'm bored of my usual game, lets have some fun!". Cue me spending the maximum before the break and getting no topup but I had 7500 in front of me.

After the break I go back to my usual tight aggressive game but noting comes for me and in danger of getting whittled down by the blinds I switched gears and came out firing. Unfotunately about 3 hands later the guy to the left of me (who has already flopped a royal flush!) finds the boots and I'm the one doing the walking, chiding myself for an usually high spend in the 20 game. :(

Sick as I am I sit down at the cash game and get QQ39 in Omaha with one suited queen. Preflop I raise it and get reraised and call. On the T94 rainbow flop the guy goes all in and a JK on turn and river gives me the nuts and him a serious case of bad-beats. A few more nice hands sees me up 140 so at least I made a profit on the night!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Well played and well done careca, how much of a bet did you call on that Flop Tom?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

about 40 quid. Dont even start on me about it. :) I mention it because for once *I* was the maniac who bad beat someone. Mind you Oscar,JP and Marq will say that thats my regular Omaha game!

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well done careca....what time were you knocked out at...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Nice one Neil. It looks to me like you would have had a good chance of winning it if you'd won your 50/50s late on. Next time it'll be ring-a-ding-ding for those bozos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Dub13 wrote:
    Well done careca....what time were you knocked out at...?

It was just after 2. There was a small enough turn out (about 40) so it didn't last as long as usual. I would imagine the last two were finished shortly after that (Marq can confirm).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Tom Q9 is not the nuts on that board, nice to see your brilliant play paying off in the cash game aswell,

True, AQ is, though now that you say it I think it might have been J8 that came on turn and river.

Hey, I never said I was an omaha expert! :p

Funnily enough I dont make much money at Hold 'Em in the cash games, though I win a good % of showdowns. Omaha I see far far fewer showdowns and win a larger amount each time. Though according to the staff of the Fitz the biggest movements of money happen when two HE hands collide rather then in Omaha...

Despite Oscars backhanded insult (:p) I've found playing in the Omaha tournie on Tuesday has certainly given me a lot more experience and understanding of the game. I highly recommend it as a cheap, safe way to learn Omaha in depth.
    (Just dont outdraw Oscar, he gets awful crabby about it... :p)

DeV.

I'm just getting into the PLO online at the moment (right now in fact), I must say that I'm finding the low limit tables very soft and quite profitable. It's nuts the size pots get to on .10/.20 table at Omaha. Great fun too.

I don't quite have the stones to tackle the Fitz cash game just yet. Though I must say Omaha is now attracting my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So play the tournament on Tuesday at 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

DapperGent wrote:
    Though I must say Omaha is now attracting my interest.

It has a habit of doing that, The Omaha.

You get twice as many cards! That's twice as many chances to win! What could go wrong?

Advertisement