Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordered Sony PSP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Here are some videos of me playing Ridge! Graciously hosted for me by a pal from irc.

MOVIE A)

http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/KIF_0472.AVI
    (13.97MB)

http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/pspmovie2.avi
    (2.74MB)

MOVIE B)
    http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/KIF_0469.AVI
    (13.97MB)

http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/pspmovie1.avi
    (2.67MB)

There are only 2 movies - and low quality versions of each. KIF are high Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

sweet, I want it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Nyomity Nyom.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Looks good. How do you find the low position of the analog nub? looks a bit uncomforable.

You see its not like a ps2 analogue so its not like you'd imagine it feels. Its flatish against the surface of the ps2 and it slides on a springed axes so its very easy to move it - but very precise too because it returns to centre (its no way near as hard to push as a PS2 pad).

Edit : not that a ps2 pad is hard to push - its just this little yoke doesnt exhaust the thumb at all.

• Advertisement

I see. Pitty they didnt put one on each side...

On the one hand - being a fan of Splinter Cell I have to agree with you there - but on the other hand I dont think that the main user of dual analogues (the FPS) works very well with either portables or analogues to be honest.

It was probably this plus style that determined the decision. Or maybe they just couldnt cram in any more - have you seen how compressed the tech inside this thing is already :)

http://www.lik-sang.com/psp.html

but on the other hand I dont think that the main user of dual analogues (the FPS) works very well with either portables or analogues to be honest.[/url]

Have you played the Metroid demo on the DS? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 medZer

hee heeh heee

ordered mine from japan, hope to have it between crimbo and enw years..Yawn, got ridge too...hope its good! how bout video, you ripped anythin onto it yet
    ??medZer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Wow that thing is sexy :) Welcome to the party Sony! Please kick the crap out of Nintendo for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

just got my psp from ups with no custom charges \o/ :D

now check for dead pixels :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Mthor5 wrote:
    just got my psp from ups with no custom charges \o/ :D

now check for dead pixels :rolleyes:

you were lucky.
    i hope sds are feeling as generous. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Don't these couriers normally post a bill to you a couple of weeks after delivery. I know thats what fedex do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

Rew wrote:

that's the best review yet..

the comparisons with the Creative Zen Portable Media Centre and Apple's Iphoto make ya think that paying the $569 for it now is worth the money... :)

..or maybe i'll just wait for it to be released in white ..

psp-3rdparty-handy-grip-2004.jpg

[nicK] wrote:
    that's the best review yet..

the comparisons with the Creative Zen Portable Media Centre and Apple's Iphoto make ya think that paying the $569 for it now is worth the money... :)

Actually I reckon those comparsions are fairly superficial. Its nice to see the 2 screens side by side but its hard to judge much from one pic not to mention comparing Memmory Stick Duo with a 20/60 gig hardisk dosnt quite add up ;)

iPod photo is **** even beside a monochrome 4g iPod. :D

Engadgets reviews are great as they apeal to the gadget freak in all of us and they tend to review in the same way alot of people will in their head but they lack real depth in a few spots and dont really mention UMD media other then games.

All the comments are worth reading through as well.

Rew wrote:
    All the comments are worth reading through as well.

yeah, this comment i found particularly amusing..

"I couldn't help but notice that in your rather awesome collection of portable systems there in the end you failed to showcase the Neo Geo Pocket Color.

clearly you've never even played that bad boy, for all intents and purposes it is the greatest hand held system that has or probably will ever exist.

Sure the graphics don't knock your door down, but who cares, you get great playing games. For my money the NGPC did everything right, except for the lack of contrast and brightness control.

Personally I'd like to see a review of that, or even see someone admit that it existed. I'd review it for you but I'm not sure you'd be thrilled about my one game."

.. poor guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i thought it was a very good positive review, but they are all too kind with the battery life thing. their response (like many others) seems to be, ah sure if you want to play it for long peroids of time, buy another battery.

i mean woah! ffs like thats not a valid excuse they should be more critical on the battery life imo.

otherwise i ****ing want a psp now :D
    lets hope if the price is right over here and there is improved battery life, actually that is alot to wish for! :p

Price will be horrible over here id say. Also I reckon Europe will be waiting ages for the release. Id be worried that the region stuff will come back to bite early adopters/importers at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i found one on ebay in tyrone for 185 STG might be tempted with that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Don't these couriers normally post a bill to you a couple of weeks after delivery. I know thats what fedex do.

I just got a bill from fedex for €82 for a 6800GT from the states, i simply rang them up and informed them that the product i received was faulty and the company couldnt supply me with a new one and refunded me. The helpful lady said she would wipe the fee and said everything was fine........

Worked a dream!

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Rew wrote:
    Price will be horrible over here id say. Also I reckon Europe will be waiting ages for the release. Id be worried that the region stuff will come back to bite early adopters/importers at some point.

Well Japan is DVD region 2, just like the UK/Ireland. The psp games with the region code were also marked '2'. It would make sense for them to use the DVD region codes for their UMD movies, no point remaking the wheel and all that.

So chances are the Irish and UK early adopters will be just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Snaga wrote:
    Well Japan is DVD region 2, just like the UK/Ireland. The psp games with the region code were also marked '2'. It would make sense for them to use the DVD region codes for their UMD movies, no point remaking the wheel and all that.

So chances are the Irish and UK early adopters will be just fine.

You're serious? So original Japanese manga and so on would play in my PS2? Cool.....now I could usefully learn Japanese!

I never knew Japan was R2. Sorry about O/T.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Japan is Region 2, NTSC. This doesn't matter on a portable device but for DVDs you will need a TV capable of accepting a NTSC signal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We will have another PSP 'shortage' when it is released over here so that they can sell the 'PSP is sold out!' story to the papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

thats why i ordered a japanese one, and am playing it right now, in between playing mp3s on it, and watching full movies in full screen ripped from dvd :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Excellent battery life article here

http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html

3:32 hours ridge racer (full screen brightness, full sound)
    5:09 Darkstalkers Chronicle(full screen brightness, full sound)
    Negligible battery impact when left on sleep mode for 24 hrs (i.e. <1%) sleep mode wakes up when you preess it, and you can resume playing ridge racers etc from where you left off
    2:46 hours ridge racer wifi enabled (with full screen brightness, and sound)
    10:40 hours mp3 playback

What say ye now??

mp3 playback would suit my needs anyway, will be interesting to see what movie playback is like

RR wifi seems a tad low, as does RR normal, although i wouldnt mind seeing the numbers for less then full brightness

Overall, not as bad as some people claimed, seems the 4-6 hours was pretty ok

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Battery life seems better so far than early reports indicated, which is good.

In any case I won't be buying one until the prices come down (or at least until the shops stop charging extra because they can, I'm looking in your direction Lik-Sang).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Here are some videos of me playing Ridge! Graciously hosted for me by a pal from irc.

MOVIE A)

http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/KIF_0472.AVI
    (13.97MB)

http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/pspmovie2.avi
    (2.74MB)

MOVIE B)
    http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/KIF_0469.AVI
    (13.97MB)

http://texhnolith.nd4spdworld.com/pspmovie1.avi
    (2.67MB)

Thanks for the above. It looks very, very, shexy.

Advertisement