Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordered Sony PSP

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

No probs - anyone know of anyone in ireland played ridgeracer multiplayer yet? Just curious - 8 player would be something special!

Of all the games I have to play this Christmas Ridge Racers tops everything and I've hardly touched anything else - it just gets better and better!

Slán libh agus Nollaig Shona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

did you get any other games with it? i ordered that golf game, should be here on tuesday. Heard its good, and yeah ridge racers is class

Im not really into golf and the annoying thing is that all the good games are out in march :(

Where you at? We should keep a list of the people who have RRs and see if anyone wants to do a PSP Lan party in town or something.

Also - have you been using the sleep instead of 'off'? It doesnt seem to use any battery power at all - I had it on the sleep switch for around 8 hours and it used under 2% of the battery power and played instantly right where I left off - zero loading times.

yeah, you can use it instead of turning it off really. Have you put any films on it yet? Ive loaded loads of photos onto it, great if you have a digital camera for showing people your photos.

im waiting till I get a new memory stick - Ive seen a really decent offer for a 512 so Ill get that in the next few days - mostly for mp3s at the mo though - ever since Suprnova went down I havent been downloading much vids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Any word when availability is going to improve? Looking around websites I cant seem to find any info.

I don't understand Sony's reasoning when it came to limiting supplies. They're making a loss on every unit sold while their consumers are paying extortionate prices, and it's the profiteers who snapped them all up on release day that are making the money out of this. Doesn't seem to be good for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

For those thinking "it'll be a ripoff when it comes out over here", Amazon have it listed at £180 stg. Not released till march though.
    They also have a sandisk 1gb MemoryStick pro for £90.

No games listed yet but I'm guessing they'll be about the same cost as PS2 titles...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

been playing ridge racers mostly(+mgs3),still havent opened minna no golf or vampire chronicles yet.& yes that hold function is excellent,instant return to game with no loading at all.
    also waiting for my usb mini A to B ,cable to arrive from ebay,will try to store a film on my 512mb sandisk card.

Wertz wrote:
    For those thinking "it'll be a ripoff when it comes out over here", Amazon have it listed at £180 stg. Not released till march though.
    They also have a sandisk 1gb MemoryStick pro for £90.

No games listed yet but I'm guessing they'll be about the same cost as PS2 titles...

the psp doesnt take memory stick pro, it takes memory stick duo, you can put pro duo in it either. Duo is a half the physical size of pro.

Mthor5 wrote:
    been playing ridge racers mostly(+mgs3),still havent opened minna no golf or vampire chronicles yet.& yes that hold function is excellent,instant return to game with no loading at all.
    also waiting for my usb mini A to B ,cable to arrive from ebay,will try to store a film on my 512mb sandisk card.

i have a 512 card, found it just that bit too small for loading high quality full films on, so im ordering a 1 gig one. Theyre very hard to find though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

do you know where i would pick up the usb cable from,would pc world have 1;are they an awkward cable to source?
    as im not holding to much faith in the cable from ebay anytime soon :rolleyes:

its a standard cable with any digital camera, any shop that sells digi cams would have them

heres a great guide to loading video onto psp.Very helpful

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000980024404

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Wertz wrote:

I thought they were only about $200 (€150) in the US and Japan. £180 is €250, which sounds about the normal markup we get. :rolleyes:

Exactly.
    Irish customs wanted to charge me €189 when my PSP landed in Dublin. I ended up paying 115 but its insanity - international relations my ass.

Didnt the president go to asia a little while back to promote business? Then why did every official I spoke to tell me that these ludicrous taxes were there to dissaude people from buying goods from outside the EU?

I know Europe gets treated badly with regard to the videogame scene in general but things are getting better. That said why do Irish gamers have to pay so much more than the rest of the planet?

Without asia videogames would be next to nothing - where is the love?

guess i got lucky, sds delivered mine (it was posted with EMS) and no import tax. It was marked as a $50 ps2 game though!

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I thought they were only about $200 (€150) in the US and Japan. £180 is €250, which sounds about the normal markup we get. :rolleyes:

Sure, but to be fair both the PS2 and the xbox are cheaper in the US too, due solely to a weak dollar. For accuracy's sake we should compare our prices to the rest of the EU.
    Sony (and many other companies) are faced with a big problem due to the weak dollar; do they keep selling at a very small or zero margin or do they raise the price to compenstae for the exchange rate and risk loosing sales to competitors (in this case nintendo). Putting the price of a console up is a pretty unusual marketing move but it may happen if the dollar continues it's plunge...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

But the yen isn't very low at the moment and there still happy to release it at $200 there.

Since the Yen is inextricably tied to the Dollar it is weaker against the £/€ than it was when Sony Corp made the pricing decision. The currency markets are all over the place the last couple of months so it could well be even higher priced when it releases here.
    Also don't forget we get to pay 21% to the cúnts in Brussels and that europe get's ripped off for all video games stuff as it costs extra to market/package them for our multi-lingual needs...

Advertisement