Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Test Tomorrow

• 16-12-2004 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Note to mods : I know this should be probably be in the Motors forum, but I figure it will get more exposure in here. Plus, I am looking for ordinary peopole's experience. But if you feel it should be moved, then so be it.

Now on to the real business.

I have my driving test tomorrow.

There is a bit of history here though.

I applied for this test around this time last year, but I had to stop driving, for two reasons. My second provisional licence ran out in June 2003, and when I went to apply for the third one I was told I needed to apply for my test, rules is rules! Before I did this, I went to see about getting insured as a named driver on my father's car again. They said that on a provisional licence it would be six grand. Fook that I said, so I stopped driving.

Eventually I got round to applying for the test, and I heard back from them four weeks ago. So I went out and got insured for 30 days, so I could practice.

I'm doing pretty well, can drive well, the instructor reckons I am anyway. Got my mirror work down, good observation etc etc. Tonight I am going to sit down and study the Rules of the Road.

So, does anyone have any advice for me. What should I expect, how should I handle certain situations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Checking the mirrors. Take your time on things like the reversing around the bend. Practice practice practice.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

be confident.. do NOT drive to slow, keep about 5 miles below speed limit but do not crawl as it shows you are not confident. Dont be cocky though... just get a balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

dont drive too slow or too fast, keep the observation up, esp when your reversing round a corner.

you will only be asked to stop 3 times when on the test, one for a hill start, turnabout amd reverseing around a corner. youll know which is which by the area, ie hill, quiet road or corner. if its for reversing around the corner dont stop to close to the kerb, youll make it harder for yourself! if its for a turnabout stay close to the kerb when stopping(but dont hit it!) that way youll have a bit more room to turn and make it easier on yourself! for a hill start dont be to close or to far away!

ehm! lets see dont coast! or forget to put handbrake on before taking out of gear, small stuff like that, where are you doing the test? perhaps we can give more advice if we know what centre?

finally its not a race, so take your time doing all the manovours and learn the akward road signs, as they'll ask them, like lane crossover and contraflow bus lane, all the level crossing ones ect

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thanks so far to all replies.

I am in the Raheny Test Centre in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I was nervous enough before doing mine (3 weeks ago), but I had an hours lesson right before my test so if you can organise that I'd recommend it. By the time my test came round, I wasn't a bit nervous anymore! Apart from all the stuff thats been said just rememeber that the tester isn't out to get you, despite what people say. If you drive well, s/he won't fail you. Just show some confidence. Also if you come up to a junction where you can only take left, don't ask him which way s/he wants you to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Bit of advice - pop the clutch and keep um lit. (only messing)

Just relax and you will be fine. Mirrors and looking around and being aware of whats on and off the road is a big chunk of it.

Main thing just relax ;) . You know how to drive bottom line. Tou'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

know this should be probably be in the Motors forum, but I figure it will get more exposure in here. Plus, I am looking for ordinary peopole's experience

Damm those extra ordinary people in the motors forum! ;)

Best of luck with the test. My advise: drive like a granny. Ever hear of a Granny failing her driving test? Better driving too slow than too fast. And relax. Pretend you are in Jamica. A Jamican Granny who has just got a new pair of glasses and can't help but look at everything!

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KlodaX wrote:

Best of luck with the test. My advise: drive like a granny. Ever hear of a Granny failing her driving test? Better driving too slow than too fast. And relax. Pretend you are in Jamica. A Jamican Granny who has just got a new pair of glasses and can't help but look at everything!

Best of Luck.
    Don't drive too slow. If the limit is thirty, keep it between 29 and 32 mph, no slower, no faster. They're more likely to fail you for consistently driving slightly below the limit in a 30 than driving slightly over the limit in a 30.

KlodaX wrote:

:D

Thank you so much!

Cracked me up too.

Oh ya give yourself plenty off time to get there and relax. Make sure the car is ok- lights,tax ......etc.............. make sure ya bring the slip of paper and try not to be on edge-its only a test you will be fine. Failed mine twice at the age of 17, once by roundabouts and the other caus i was so bloody nervous.

Bottom line relax - good luck

• Advertisement

Slip of paper :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nukem wrote:
    make sure ya bring the slip of paper
    What slip of paper?

When i did it i had to bring a reciept they sent you. Is it still the same way?

I never got that receipt, hence no provisional licence until a month before I did the test.

I'll just bring the letter that says "make sure you bring this letter with you" on it.

I am going out with the instructor for the final time tonight, the test is at 11.15 tomorrow morning.

Ya thats the reciept-its your booking and test number in one. Nearly forgot mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 timamansio

I'm not that familiar with the test centre in Raheny but my advice would be, when you arrive at the test centre, reverse your car into a parking spot which faces the exit. This will make it easier for you when starting out with the tester (in other words, you won't be faced with a reversing manoeuvre as your first task on the test - when you're likely to be at your most nervous!!). When you arrive back from the test itself, just drive into a vacant parking space (i.e. don't reverse). This just makes it easier for you as again you don't have to carry out an unnecessary reversing manoeuvre! Best of luck with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Listen to what everyone has said so far its good advice but to add my 2 cents, if you know that you have done something wrong forget about it and move on. The worst thing you can do is analyse (sp) it while you are doing the test there will be plenty of time for that after the test is done. Also keep in mind that the test only lasts about 20-30 minutes including the questions so it really isn that long.

I did my test through Raheny a couple of years ago and I remember something that was said to me and it proved a quality tip. If you are brought on the route where you are driving with the coast on your left hand side they will make you take the right turn at the corner of St Annes and on that road they will ask you to pull in (I seem to remember its for the hill start) but beware there is a solid white line, albeit a very faded one on a portion of that road. So dont what ever you do stop with the solid line on your right.

I made a few mistakes on my test, I hit the kerb on a tight left turn in an estate and i crossed my arms on the turnabout (mind you I did catch myself doing so stopped before I completed the turn) and I still passed. I asked the tester afterwards (You would swear I wanted to fail) and he said to me "Yes you made mistakes but not continously" so thats why I said dont get annoyed if you make a mistake just keep on going.

Sorry for the long post best of luck though

be sure to let us know how you got on!

tom

be sure to let us know how you got on!

Deffo.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

good luck dude.... it will all go well i hope

• Advertisement

I'm going out now to drive around for a while before the test, it's actually at 11.50, so I'll come home straight after and update!

:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

best of luck, stay calm, etc etc
    you will be fine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I suppose I'm a bit late for this now... but the most important thing I could say is don't let yourself down by missing the gimmes, left turns in particular. You'll get a grade 2 X for every time you don't hug your angle before the turn and keep it during the turn, would be a silly thing to lose on. Similarly, don't cut corners on the right turns, and don't drive too far to the middle of the road, or you'll build up the Xs.

Make sure the examiner is aware that you have identified and reacted to hazards well in time, you seriously have to overdo that bit.

As for driving speed, if you're in a built up area, I wouldn't listen to the people who say you should drive 29-32mph... you drive at a safe and comfortable speed under these circumstances, and if thats 22mph down main street with cars pulling out and children running across the road then that is perfectly fine. However, they do mark on progress, so if you're on an open road or a wide road, you should be conscious of maintaining a decent speed while still below the speed limit. Don't take too long at the junctions or you'll get an X there on progress too.

And the usual.. when you arrive at the test centre, reverse into your parking spot, and at the end of the day park normally (to avoid potential disasters)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Probably too late here aswell but.....

Dont end up on hte wrong side of the road while taking a bend (even a wheel over the white line)

Also, if an old lady walks out in front of you, knock her down. I made the mistake of stopping for her, only to see her mark down an ex

If you wear glasses for driving put em on first thing, not half way down the first road!

I made all these 'mistakes' and failed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I wonder how he did?
    He's probably doing a hill start as we type?

:(:o

Didn't pass.

:(

Failed on my reverse. I hit the kerb at the end of the reverse. Dunno why at all, it was the thing I was most nervous about, and I was doing it fine for a half hour before I went in. BigX in the reverse column of the sheet.

Damn you reversing!

Everything else was fine. Couple of minor faults, and 3 faults in my positioning. He said I was too close to stationary cars, the bástard had me driving around an estate with cars parked on both sides.

Ah well, live and learn.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Awww mate sorry to hear that but do take some confort from it that at least it was only one major thing that you need to work on. My fiance has failed twice already and the laast time was just something really silly but she is more prepared then ever to do hers again. My advice to you now is go and apply straight away. You can apply online now aswell.

Better luck next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

Definitly Ciaran's advice is spot on - apply again straight away to keep your motivation up, I failed my 1st one as well which was crap as I thought I drove pretty well - applied for my 2nd straight away (the same day in fact) and test came through in 4 weeks as applied for cancellation. Passed 2nd time no problems as wasnt quite so nervous and knew what to expect and TBH diddnt drive as well 2nd time round.

Good luck and dont be too hard on yourself - my husband is a great driver - used to drive mad vehicles out in Dublin airport hat I couldnt even contemplate driving and he failed 3 times - so If I can pass on my 2nd then anyone can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Better luck next time - you'll get it for sure then. All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I hate to say "I told you so"...
    koneko wrote:
    Take your time on things like the reversing around the bend.

Don't let this get you down. Apply again right away, ring them and ask to get a cancellation, or get a letter from work saying you need a car to get to work (to speed up the wait times).

hard luck! apply again!

the new quick way is to apply, get gonfirmation of reciept,get a letter from work, or just get headed paper(print and sign yourself) and say you have a job pending full lisesce. head to centre first thing in the morning, and say you have letter know its not your day but need lisence for job and will wait all day and take first cancelation that day-someone always forgets or doesnt show or is late- you take their spot and off you go!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KlodaX wrote:

Best of Luck.
    "progress" is the heading you'd fail on - in case anyone else is watching.

Just popped in to see how you got on. Hard luck man.
    Dont let it get ya down. Just apply again. Sorry :( .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I think he should get a rep for that.

Advertisement