Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone familiar with WinME (File sharing)

• 16-12-2004 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I have a user dialing into our coporate network from his home machine. All of our machines obviously are part or our domain, but his home machine isn't, and won't ever be.

He can connect fine to the network, i.e. can ping hosts and resolve names, but when he tries to access any resources, it challenges him for his password. But windows ME only asks for a password, and when he tries his netwok password, it tells him access denied.

So I assume windows me is sending the username from his home machine and his password to try and authenticate. Which obviously won't work. He needs to authenticate as "domain\username" and with his domain password. But I'm not familiar with ME, and I don't know if it's possible to specify a username to use to connect to network resources. I also don't have an ME machine here to tinker with.

Anyone? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It ain't worth the hassle.
    eg:

- If you have disabled lanman hash to get secure passwords then AFIAK 95/98/ME won't ever be able to authentite
    - You can assume that the machine is riddled with malware until proven otherwise.
    - In network in control panel is it set to logon to an NT domain - if so which one ? / is the user pressing cancel when asked for his logon when starting up before dialing in / is the users's local user name diffferent to the one on the domain / is wins setup such that the user can connect to shares via hostname - eg: could be resolving names by DNS - hosts etc and still not connect to a windows share / is the dialin server set to allow dialin clients to see whole network etc. etc.

If you have Terminal Server or a version of windows that will allow terminal services (XP Pro ??) you could set up the 98 machine as a client instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It ain't worth the hassle.
    eg:
    It's not a matter of "is it worth it?", it has be solved :)
    - If you have disabled lanman hash to get secure passwords then AFIAK 95/98/ME won't ever be able to authentite
    I'm not sure, but I doubt it is - he has allegedly been able to access it before, but ME was wiped recently and all stuff lost.
    - You can assume that the machine is riddled with malware until proven otherwise.
    Not really a concern. His account is underpriviledged anyway, and poses no more of a theoretical threat than any domain machines.
    - In network in control panel is it set to logon to an NT domain - if so which one ? / is the user pressing cancel when asked for his logon when starting up before dialing in / is the users's local user name diffferent to the one on the domain / is wins setup such that the user can connect to shares via hostname - eg: could be resolving names by DNS - hosts etc and still not connect to a windows share / is the dialin server set to allow dialin clients to see whole network etc. etc.
    He logs on locally to his machine, then dials into our private network, PPP w/RSA authentication. He is assigned a private IP and WINS resolution used for hostnames. Non-domain Clients can access, but can't see the network.
    He won't be able to log on to the domain on startup because his machine isn't part of the domain and never will be.

Tis a big big network, so there'll be no change to the network config to allow this. He's accessed it before, but he brought his machine in that time, and won't bring it in this time, so no-one knows how to do it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Did the Microsoft client get re-installed when he rebuilt his machine?

Can't he use a command ie. Net use * \\server\resource /username

Cheerio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

from what i remember the machine has to be set up is if it is on the domain, so his user name and password at home have to be the same as the ones on the network.

Also his account on the network must be setup to allow pre windows 2000 machines to attach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hshortt wrote:
    Can't he use a command ie. Net use * \\server\resource /username

Cheerio
    That could be the one I'm looking for. Nice one.

I'll take a look at the setup for that too Nutzz, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement