Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privileges on Xp home

• 16-12-2004 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi,

I have about 5 partitions spread over 2 drives on my computer running XP home. My mate also has access to the computer and I have set up an account for him.

Is there anyway or any program that I can use to limit access say to 2-3 drives(i.e. the System drive) so he cannot modify anything or download anything that might corrupt the system.

It's probably enabled on XP Pro but is there anyway of doing it on XP home? It's only one computer and it's not on a network.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Not sure about home edition in relation to policies, but you can prevent access to drives via the group policy. Be careful with Policies. Another simple method of hiding them is to run Tweak UI - (microsoft power toy) when logged in as that user, you can simply turn on the drives that appear.

Yet another option would be to create a hardware profiles and have that user reboot and select his profile on startup, you can stop the drives from starting in different profiles. (Messy for your solution)

Another useful tool is Truecrypt which is freeware and you create a partition using free space on your drive. So you could create 3 2GB Partitions on a 6GB drive. The beauty is that they are blowfish encrypted and not accessible by anyone without a password. And I mean, anyone - you can hide anything you like in these partitions and it can never be retrieved without the password. Useful for personal information like CVs or pins etc that you have to keep a record of.

Did I mention it's free! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Thanks for that handy advice.

All I want to limit access to are some My Document folders and the main Operating System Drive. I might partition the drive I have allocated to him further and create a lil mini drive..

The drives are partitioned to hold like music, then games, operating system, etc...

Thanks for your advice and help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Hey!

If the my document folders are protected anyway, you can click on Start, then the user name and then home. Again, I'm not certain on the behaviour of home edition, but once at the users home screen you should be able to assign a password to each user and make their documents etc private.

That will prevent access to another users documents.

As for the Operating system, you don't really have much to worry about, if the account is a limited account, then he can't delete anything important and even if he did, then the system will self-heal. There's a monitor running that keeps a list of known files that must be protected, if you remove one of these files, then the system will automatically restore it. You can test this by trying to remove cmd.exe etc.

Cheerio
    Howard

Advertisement