Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime and Manga Society

• 16-12-2004 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just wanted to let people know that there is now an Anime & Manga Society based out in Dublin City University. We have finally recieved approval to allow open membership to the society :) As such thought Id descibe what we do out here.
    The main part of the society revolves around our twice weekly anime showings. We take over T101 , a recognised theatre, on wednesdays with movies, fansubed series, AMVs and whatever else we get our hands on displayed over the massive screen :) Friday is our 'series' night with regular series being played out to the end in Q121. We have started Bleach, Tenjou Tenge, Berserk and Gantz so far - with 3 eps of each every week. We take recomendations for showings and such over our forum or by email
    Another main part of the society is our manga library. We are setting up the library so members can reserve, book and comment on books over our site - http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~ams/library. Our library staff keep it running in good condition and will alert you when your book is ready - just pop along to the next showing. We are also in the process of setting up a video and dvd library that would work on a similure basis. Currently the library has mainly recieved donations and the list can be found on our site - if you want to help us out and donate we can offer reduced membership fee!
    The actuall cost of membership is 15 euro for a full year - this gets you into the weekly showings, allows you to use the library plus we are in the process of setting up some more goodies for you :) One of the main reasons for the society is that we wanted a pure and full anime con in Ireland! As such we are organising a large con for this summer in DCU, exact date tbc. We will be having a series per a room, its great cause all lecture rooms have projectors, and also the theater wil be home to previews, custom AMVs, submitted fandubs/subs. We are going to get some dealers and distributors at the con plus whatever other groups want to become involved!
    We will be talking with as many other societies, Trinity's DUCSS, UCD, Manooth etc.. if they wish to be involved. We aim to make this great fun :) If you want to help out just join up!
    A description is all good and all but the real thing will show exactly what we are doing. As such we are going to put up a preview day in January with T101 booked all day, snacks and drinks provided! We will have movies playing and whatever series people vote for. If you want to sign up we can sort out your membership card there and then and you can then withdraw books from our library also. More details will follow.
    Check out our site at http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~ams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Cool. Hope you have one set up in UCD by '06!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'd like to add my own hearty endorsement and say that the meet's have been going smoothly for the last few weeks since we've organised things.

And also that you do *not* need to be a student of DCU or any college to join the society.

Oh and of course add that eirtaku.com is involved in getting the anime con organised and advertised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yeah, but by 06 I'll have stoarted college and moved to Dublin. Might be handier to have one on my own campus. Stupid living in the boglands....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Just checking this now but Im pretty sure there already is one in UCD :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There isn't one, unfortunately. Sci-Fi puts on the odd anime film from time to time (like when I waved a copy of Ghost In The Shell in front of the events officer until she agreed), but there's no official anime/manga society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

ucd really does need an anime/manga society. this year they (sci-fi soc) have only shown ghost in the shell and spirited away which is better than nothing i suppose but we really need more.
    oh yeah there was the animatrix as well but i'm not really a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

if ye are around CIT we have a great anime society,give us a visit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

I've looked around the site you linked and I must say I am really thinking about joining. Ever since Forbiden Planet stopped stocking Anime it's been hard to get and see some good titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

I think we should all congratulate this society for trying to bring a little of the manga culture in Ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mikuma

pingoo wrote:
    I think we should all congratulate this society for trying to bring a little of the manga culture in Ireland ;)
    ya me and my friend want to go but were down in cork and going up to dublin is to far do you think there would be any one closer to me are is one going to be set up in UCC are anything?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

mikuma wrote:
    ya me and my friend want to go but were down in cork and going up to dublin is to far do you think there would be any one closer to me are is one going to be set up in UCC are anything?
    I MIGHT be going out on a limb here, but if you read two posts above the one you replied to, there's a mention of CIT, which I can only presume means Cork I.T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Senbotsu wrote:
    I've looked around the site you linked and I must say I am really thinking about joining. Ever since Forbiden Planet stopped stocking Anime it's been hard to get and see some good titles.

Slowly setting up links with distributors and if there is the interest we will look into doing every second month, or whatever, order a large shipment and gain some discounts..

Advertisement