Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA to consider video technology introduction

• 16-12-2004 4:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

UEFA to consider video technology introduction
    16/12/2004 - 14:41:42

UEFA are to investigate whether video technology should be brought in to help match officials judge whether the ball has crossed the goal-line.

The move follows a plea from Italian FA president Franco Carraro who has urged European football’s governing body to put pressure on FIFA to introduce such measures.

UEFA chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson said: “There have been discussions several times in the past and we want to open a new investigation in terms of whether technology is applicable.

“We must make sure that it helps rather than hinders any decision by the referee and that we do not have any breaks in the game.

“We can only do this in conjunction with FIFA otherwise it won’t work.”

Meanwhile, UEFA’s executive committee have postponed a decision on formal proposals to encourage the local development of players.

The controversial measures would see clubs limited to 25 players of which four players would have had to come up through their own ranks, with a further four trained within the same national association.

Under pressure from clubs however, UEFA have agreed to put off a decision until February to allow more time for consultation.

Would this be good for the game...? 28 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    85% 24 votes
    Not sure
    14% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Did anyone see Football Focus on Saturday? They were talking about it and Strachen and Lawro were in agreement with it, whilst Motson (sorry but hes a feckin commentater and a crap one at that) was giving out about it. Footballers know it makes sense, it works in Rugby so why not Soccer. Motson is old school and really doesn't have a bulls notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I can appreciate that dodgy refereeing decisions can be part of the fun of the game - arguing about whether he was right or wrong, etc. But by the sounds of things, UEFA would be restricting it to major decisions like the ball having crossed the line or not, and I think thats perfectly acceptable. As long as the referee and his assistants are free to rule the rest of the game in the same way as usual, thats fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

Its grand aslong as that is the only thing it will be used for. But what happens whenever the call then comes to question offsides by video...can the player play on and score, celebrate then have his goal ruled offside? Games will have to start kicking off at 10am and not finishing to 5pm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think the people who want it in just want to get a foot in the door (ie if the ball goes over the line or not) then after a while it could/would be used alot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mr_angry wrote:
    arguing about whether he was right or wrong, etc.
    It would do more to end posting in this forum than any muppet ever did (NOT aimed at you The Muppet)
    :D

Seriously, I think it needs to be introduced, but in a limited capacity, and only at the discretion of the referee. If he feels he needs help with a decision, then so be it.

It will be hard to decide what would constitute an eligable incident however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

BolBill wrote:
    Did anyone see Football Focus on Saturday? They were talking about it and Strachen and Lawro were in agreement with it, whilst Motson (sorry but hes a feckin commentater and a crap one at that) was giving out about it. Footballers know it makes sense, it works in Rugby so why not Soccer. Motson is old school and really doesn't have a bulls notion.

so because he's a commentator his opinion isn't valid?

He is the best commentator around imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well the fact is, everybody will be for it if it helps them win a game, but as soon as the ref uses it to allow a goal againt your team then everyone will be claiming its ruining the fun of football.
    i think refs might actually be insulted by this as it is almost like saying that we doubt the refs and linesmens ability to oversee a game. i mean, in rugby, when theres ten 23 stone men on top of a ball, theres no way of tellin if its over, but in soccer thats rarely the case. how often does it actually happen? not very.
    i agree with the above about only using it if the refs sees fit. however, is this not wat the linesman is for? should we get rid of them?
    UEFA will need to think long and hard on this one, i believe.

PS is it just a UEFA thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Refs and Linesmen have a big problem in this situation.

Linesmen can't see if the ball has perfectly crossed theline because the post is in the way.

Refs sometimes can't see it when there are 16 14stone people in the way :)
    It will sometimes be hard for the ref to see, especially when hes trying not to be int he way..

This would be quite helpful as you can imagine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The_B_Man wrote:
    well the fact is, everybody will be for it if it helps them win a game, but as soon as the ref uses it to allow a goal againt your team then everyone will be claiming its ruining the fun of football.
    i think refs might actually be insulted by this as it is almost like saying that we doubt the refs and linesmens ability to oversee a game. i mean, in rugby, when theres ten 23 stone men on top of a ball, theres no way of tellin if its over, but in soccer thats rarely the case. how often does it actually happen? not very.
    i agree with the above about only using it if the refs sees fit. however, is this not wat the linesman is for? should we get rid of them?
    UEFA will need to think long and hard on this one, i believe.
    But this is something that could cost a team a World Cup. I think thats more important than how a few fans might feel if one of their goals were disallowed when it actually should have been disallowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am sick of poor decision being the decisive factor in games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ref error shouldn't be how games are decided, they should be decided by skill and heart.

This solution allows that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

like someone said above, this will only be to get their foot in the door on the use of cameras. there are alternatives to cameras, like having a chip in the ball and sensors on the goal line. or maybe a sensor at each corner, therefore, both goal lines and both sidelines will be covered.

did u ever see in ice hockey the way a light flashes every time the puk goes over the line? its possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

quarryman wrote:
    so because he's a commentator his opinion isn't valid?

He is the best commentator around imo.

No I don't think his opinion matters, he's an annoying little so-and-so that never played football in his life. Hes old school and afraid to change things. As for him being the best commentator around, yeah if you like the sound of someone laughing after saying nothing funny at all, hes your man !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I think its a great idea... the sooner the better. It will work in the favour of all concerned.... it is great to get away with a decision if you are the team who has gotten away with it, but these things work both ways.... so in the long run, total declaration of incidents is the only way forward...

about bloody time too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    Ref error shouldn't be how games are decided, they should be decided by skill and heart.

This solution allows that
    Good point which makes me wonder how anyone could have voted no.

Advertisement