Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Stock

Options
  • 16-12-2004 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi, I've an Anschutz 1710 HB and would like to change the stock to something more suited to Silhouette, and benchrest shooting. Anyone have any links or info on this.

I assume I'll have to buy from the states and prob fit it myself, or are there gunsmiths that offer this service ?.

Something like these would be nice.
    http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/silhouette.html

The 1710 action is a type 54 right ?. are there many different types of 54 action ?. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

I know a guy that fits and alters stocks but mostly for shotguns. PM me with all the details and i will see if he will do it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Haket wrote:
    Hi, I've an Anschutz 1710 HB and would like to change the stock to something more suited to Silhouette, and benchrest shooting. Anyone have any links or info on this.

I assume I'll have to buy from the states and prob fit it myself, or are there gunsmiths that offer this service ?.

Something like these would be nice.
    http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/silhouette.html

The 1710 action is a type 54 right ?. are there many different types of 54 action ?. Thanks in advance.

Try Here;http://rifle-stocks.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

gouda wrote:

Or ....

Dunno if they do stocks ..but they do advertise that they supply and fit Timney
    triggers ..€110 . Might be worth a call.

http://www.scullygunsandtackle.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

Hi Haket ,
    You need to be very sure what you are using the rifle for as there are a host of rules covering stocks for use in silhouette shooting and you could stop your self entering any competition by altering your stock , firstly the anschutz 1710 d heavy barrel is a great rifle I know as I have one but it has its limitations in silhouette shooting , firstly under immsu rules there are 2 weight categories which are under 7 lb 11 oz and under 10lb 2 oz the heavy barrel limits you to heavy class and it can be hard to make the weight at that , mine comes in a few grs under with a weaver t36 on top sitting on custom bkl mounts , now under us nra rules you can change anything you want as production class there means built by a gunsmith so anyone with an ffl can build you a real humdinger and its ok for competition , not so under immsu change anything and you are out . also in heavy class you are up against some very serious rifles with light triggers , heavy class has no trigger limit , light class limits you to a 2.5 pound minimum, my 1710 goes down to 2lb minimum and while its a lovely trigger its very heavy up against a 10oz comp trigger. so basically what im saying is if you change your stock you are limiting yourself to us nra sanctioned matches only and thats in heavy class which limits your shooting opportunities . you are better off buying a top class light rifle ( anschutz 1710 fwt etc)which you can shoot in both light and heavy classes all it has to do is make 7lb 10oz including scope and you can shoot in all events, if and when you make master class you can look at getting a heavy rifle but to be honest getting to know 1 rifle well may do you no harm . nicholas flood shoots only 1 rifle he got rid of his heavy rifle ages ago , i brought my light sako p94s and 1710 to the world championships in south africa in april and the us nationals in july and ended up only shooting the sako in both and done well . also for benchrest the 1710 heavy is too heavy for light class and the trigger makes it hard in heavy class , although my 1710 will shoot into 1 inch at 200 yards on a calm day when im in form on one of our long range br comps .so to sum up i recommend you leave your 1710 alone, buy a good light rifle for sils and a br50 for benchrest shootin , now go talk to your bankmanager or santa, I will post a few pics of some tricked up us sil rifles soon for people to drool over, hope this helps a little.
    zed

Advertisement