Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPOD Replacement Hard Disk

Options
  • 16-12-2004 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

User in work has a 20GB iPOD which he reckons has a dodgy drive and wants swapped out next week.

From memory all Ipods, IHp, Zens etc use 1.8" drives, which should have a standard 44pin connector(same as a laptop). Current plan is to replace the original with a 1.8" 40GB IBM/Hitachi which I can get no problem.

I've had a quick Google, but can't find anyone who's done/tried this. Main concerns are connectors, firmware, increase in drive size and move from Tosh drive to Hitachi(don't think this will really be a problem). Anyone out there pulled one of these apart, or tried anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I just knew some swine was going to do that.

Okay, looks like he bought a replacement drive which had been stripped from another ipod, so doesn't really tell me much. The reference site also says that 2nd and 3rd gen ipods take different 20gb drives(possibly just a case swap), but it does confirm standard 44pin drive cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

you'll have to be careful, because the Ipod doesn't like it when you mess around with the drive. If you try and use it through the windows explorer, it screws up, and sometimes needs manual reseting

If they take the standard 44pin connector, I'll clone it onto a PC and then restore the image to the new drive. My bigger worry is that IPOD drives may be hardware modified, or that the bios will have a problem with a bigger drive.

Out of interest has anyone pulled apart an iRiver or Zen yet.

Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I believe the big difference between the various generations of Ipod (in terms of their drives) are the thicknesses of said drives - this is a factor you need to check out when you're choosing a replacement... IIRC some are 5mm and some are 8mm.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Might be worth checking www.ipodlounge.com
    I have heard of people putting 60gb in H140's but the extra may only be readable when used as a removable drive, i.e. cant access 60gb of songs on the h140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ihaveanewname

hey,
    i'm trying to upgrade my 10gb second generation hard drive to a 40gb. I bought a 1.8-inch HDD 40.0 GB MK4004GAH hard drive, which is the same model used in some ipods. Apparently, because it's an off-the-shelf drive, and not apple/toshiba, it isn't working. I've been looking for several days for a way to get the ipod to accept it, but i'm about to give up on this $145 40gb hard drive, and give in and buy a $215 OEM apple/toshiba drive. It does the exact same thing, and looks the same, but it has a pretty little picture of a partially eating apple on it. ummmm.....if anyone has any ideas before I waste my money feel free to say something!

jbp

Advertisement