Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bible is infallible... right?

• 30-06-2000 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

I got this mail a long time ago, and have been looking for a copy since - finally found it. Thought some of you might like it...
    Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear prescription glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

smile.gif

see also http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/ if you ever get into an argument with a God-botherer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Those guys have to have been they best fantasy and fiction writers ever smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

The original fantasy novel smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I'd love to see the reply.

"Your nuts now **** off and stop camping outside my house"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

with the ultimate hero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Noone believes in God here, or at least the bible eh? Me neither

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To paraphrase Tonto "Whats this we business paleface."
    In the bible, don't ask me where, it gives the value of Pi, as being 3. /me quickly checks my log book, ah nope/. Therefore as a model of describing the physical world it falls a bit short.
    But, the Bible also describes the beginings of the morals and beliefs of a desert tribe about 2500 years ago. Do we still ourselves dye our bodies blue and play football with our enemies heads (with the obvious exception of Limerick people)?
    Perhaps you also object to "Thou shall not steal", in that it prevents one liquidising a class enemie's assets. Or even "Thou shall not Kill", which I'm sure you don't object if it done at 15000ft with modern tech for a good cause.
    So I ask in the spirt of honest inquiry, what is your doctrine of belief, so in equality I may also mock and deride it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

yeh ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Manach,

I think you miss the point.

A great many people claim the bible to be infallible. A great many others do not make such claims, but quote sections of the bible - such as the section claiming homosexuality to be an abomination - claiming that this proves their own racist/homophobic/sexist point.

The extract above is, in a humourous way, displaying the ignorance of these people.

I personally, do not believe in a God of any description. I am of the belief that mankind filled in the bits that science couldn't explain with "god", because our arrogance did not permit us to say "we don't know or understand this". Thousands of years ago, the sun was a god, fire was a god... then Science explained those things, and all of a sudden God became more abstract. The more science explains, the further back the borders of what "god" is responsible for go.

However, like many other athiests and agnostics, I do believe that christianity, and many other religions, have the right ideas at heart. Love they neighbor, don't kill people, don't steal, basically, be nice to each other.

Why do we need an organised religion just to say "be a good person"? Most of all, why do we need multiple religions, often warring with each other, killing each other and blowing each other up, just to tell people to be good?

I've always liked the following quote - "An athiest is a man with no invisible means of support".

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Thats about it shinji. Pretty much my exact sentiments, and reasons for not being religious.
    The important bit is we dont need a religion to say "be a good person".

Well said.

I wouldnt support people mocking religions tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I also am of no religion .
    I do not see why anything 'good' that comes out of the world must be associated with a god of sorts , are we incapable of goodness ourselves ?
    With the over used phrases "thank god" or "thank christ" , just goes to show that we must attribute good things to god.
    And yes , as Shinji pointed out , god has been relagated from being the sun and fire and so on since man has become less ignorant through science.

It's about a society in freefall....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Wars over relgion - continuing argument about who has the best imaginary friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by Paladin:
    The important bit is we dont need a religion to say "be a good person".

some people do. but 'be a good person' is the basic element of all religions.

actually i found the bible very disappointing to read smile.gif
    i think they should have ended it in style, with a celebrity deathmatch between jesus and satan, as opposed to the non-standard and vaguely abstract message they sent to people smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

what about satanists? - they don't try to be good people

What I always loved about church (being a cynical young fella) was the hypocrisy. Sandwidched between the drug dealer who'll probably be selling my kids coke in a few years (many years smile.gif ) and the drug user who'll probably try to knife me to death the next time he needs a fix. "Love thy neighbor?" I'm surprised there's never been a fist fight in there - there always is in the pub later that night.

Then you've got the seven deadly sins. The priest who repotedly stuffs his face with an entire packet of Jaffa cakes between sermons.
    The old perv who spends the whole time staring at the little girls. The rich women who make sure their family is in the best clothes and right up front every week, and stand around afterwards passing snide remarks. The poor women who make sure their family wears their best clothes and turn green at the sight of the rich women. And of course the church itself - the wealthiest land-owner in the world, complaining that it's not getting enough money in the collection plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I reckon alot of people a re just too caught up to even think the reasons they have a "belief" through. I know i don't spend ANY time at all any more thinking of religion and such, haven't since i was about 15 or so. The ideas i adopted then, however ill-informed and teenage angst stained they are, are quite often what i project to others when asked. I don't have the time nor inclination to spend time on it at the moment but it seemed important for fu(k knows what reason then.

To be honest I do belive there is a higher force than us - who or what i do not know or think about really but im sure i will some day. As for life after death - pfah - food for worms - human vanity cming into play there big style.

Deadly quote that Shinji, never heard it, will no doubt be recanted in the pub later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    what about satanists? - they don't try to be good people

theyre not a religion - theyre a cult

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement