Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting away from this hand

Options
  • 16-12-2004 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭

21 players left in Tuesdays tourny, Ive got 9000 chips with blinds at 400/800
    Everyone folds around to me on the button with QQ I make it 2000, SB folds BB calls with pretty much anything as I was expecting him to protect his blind, Flop a Q he checks into me I bet 2000 and get reraised all in, he hits his flush on the river.

Fair enough I got unlucky and want him there with the flush draw everytime but any opinions on how to avoid getting all in on the flop, a bigger raise to pot commit myself so he wont get folding equity from reraising me or checking the flop and betting the turn when the flush still hasnt come and he cant call but I shouldnt be giving free cards, any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

i was there for that hand. there's no getting away from it. Neil had a straight draw and a flush draw and was beginning to get short stacked. both of you were going to be all-in on the flop regardless of which one of you raised or how much. You're not passing top set, He's not passing a huge draw. A pity you lost that one, you would have walked to the final table just like he did.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was there for that hand. Why do you want it to go any other way then the way it did (apart from the out-draw)?

He put his money in when he had (by my recollection) 11 outs (possibly less chance of winning too depending on whether you have the Q of the flush draw or not).

He called you with a straight draw too iirc (I cant recall if it was an open ended, I dont think so I think it was a middler), so he had more reason to be there then you point out but still, if the turn comes a spade for him, you've made a bad play giving him the free card...

I know you dont want to be all in at that point but like, you were well ahead and shouldnt regret backing that horse to the hilt....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

If I have top set I would normally be trying to get people into the pot rather than out. You bet 2000 which is less than half the pot, this is normally either a half hearted bluff or a weak lead designed to create action.

If you dont want him in the pot for some reason, then a bet of 4/5k is perfect as it ties you to the hand. Its much harder to call an all in with a draw then bet one (for a good player at least).

I wouldnt always worry about giving a free card, sometimes its worth it heads up. Usually though I think your better off betting the flop when youve raised preflop even if you hit the flop hard, as it provides cover for the times you miss.

Advertisement