Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 16-12-2004 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

If I post a reply to a thread, then I get re-directed to the thread proper, and then I click out back in to the forum, the thread I just posted in appears as if it has a new post that I haven't read, when in fact the new post is the one I just posted.

This happen to anyone else?

Also, I sometimes get duplicate email notifications of the same posts in particular threads.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

what's with the what now?????

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah, I get the first thing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Maybe I wasn't the clearest, I'll try again.

1. Read Thread
    2. Click "Post Reply"
    3. Type reply
    4. Preview reply
    5. Submit reply
    6. Re-direct back in to thread and my new post is displayed, usually under the last one I read
    7. Click at the top of the thread page, back in to the Forum
    8. Notice Thread in which I posted is in Bold as if there is a new post I haven't read.
    9. Click in to thread
    10. No new posts that I haven't read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Is it really that much of a problem tbh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No, it isn't, but this is the Feedback Forum, is it not.

Am I giving Feedback? Yes

If the powers that be didn't want to know how we feel the Boards works for us, then this wouldn't be here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Just look at the last poster on it... if it's you don't bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I've noticed the same problem alright, but more annoying are the little asterisks in my subbed list telling me there are new posts, when the last post was really mine.
    I don't fall for it anymore, but that's only because I know the asterisks are completely unreliable.
    Not a major complaint, but it'd be nice to have them working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

SantaHoe wrote:
    I've noticed the same problem alright, but more annoying are the little asterisks in my subbed list telling me there are new posts, when the last post was really mine.
    I don't fall for it anymore, but that's only because I know the asterisks are completely unreliable.
    Not a major complaint, but it'd be nice to have them working again.

it is a concern if it's a forum you mod because then you have to look.

Yeah good point, hadn't considered that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

But if you mouse over it tells you the last person who posted in your status bar..

I'd say the problem is when you click back it goes to the most recently saved version of the page in your cache as opposed to refreshing a new?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Dave wrote:
    But if you mouse over it tells you the last person who posted in your status bar..

I'd say the problem is when you click back it goes to the most recently saved version of the page in your cache as opposed to refreshing a new?
    Ack, didn't realize that Firefox had killed that functionality :/
    Works in IE6.

There's a bug for them to fix.

I'd actually forgotten about that, since I disabled fancy status bar text so crappy websites can't scroll stupid messages on it when I'm trying to see where the link is going.
    Well if I was doing that, then I wouldn't see myself as the person who most recently posted; I'd see the name of the poster previous to mine.
    The original problem happens when you click up the tree back to the main page for that board (ie. boards.ie/vbulletin > System > Feedback)
    All it's doing is it's not counting having the page load after you've made your post as also having read the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Dave wrote:
    Is it really that much of a problem tbh?

I also get this and the little * appears on the list of subscribed threads in the drop down menu at the top and yes it can cause a little confusion.

best thing to do is when you have posted your last message on a particular forum just do the following

click on "Forum tools"
    then in the menu that appears click on "Mark this Forum REad"

the bolded thread with your post will go away

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Technically you havent "read" your own post. Its annoying but not annoying enough to make me actually do anything about it. :/:)

DeV.

Advertisement